Moseley: It's Herbert's team.

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

polyduck
Four Star Recruit

Re: Moseley: It's Herbert's team.

Post by polyduck »

....like Bryan Bennett, he too saw the "writing on the wall" when MM8 took over and exited left. TW seems like a good kid....and I wish him well! Maybe he'll end up with the Coach that he committed to coming out of HS...Coach Riley.
Duck24
Senior

Post by Duck24 »

I'll never fault a kid for transferring out if he sees the writing on the wall. He's the odd man out with a coaching staff that didn't recruit him. It's not an issue of quitting, "bucking up", stepping up to the challenge or anything like that. What are his options? Rot on the bench and "be a team player" for a few years? The earliest he'll have the opportunity to play QB is 2019, his redshirt junior season and that's assuming Herbert goes pro after his junior year.

We all agree Herbert has the potential to be something special based on his play last year. From all indications, he has clearly separated himself from the other QB's on the roster and by a wide margin. I would have been more surprised if Wilson stayed. Go find somewhere the path to playing doesn't have an incumbent underclassman starter who is head and shoulders above the rest. I hope he transfers somewhere and kills it.

As for his family members insinuations :roll: Whatever makes you feel better about yourself.
Groundswell
Four Star Recruit

Post by Groundswell »

Duck24 wrote:I'll never fault a kid for transferring out if he sees the writing on the wall. He's the odd man out with a coaching staff that didn't recruit him. It's not an issue of quitting, "bucking up", stepping up to the challenge or anything like that. What are his options? Rot on the bench and "be a team player" for a few years? The earliest he'll have the opportunity to play QB is 2019, his redshirt junior season and that's assuming Herbert goes pro after his junior year.

We all agree Herbert has the potential to be something special based on his play last year. From all indications, he has clearly separated himself from the other QB's on the roster and by a wide margin. I would have been more surprised if Wilson stayed. Go find somewhere the path to playing doesn't have an incumbent underclassman starter who is head and shoulders above the rest. I hope he transfers somewhere and kills it.

As for his family members insinuations :roll: Whatever makes you feel better about yourself.
But if you quit 4-5 practices into spring ball, you aren't bucking up. And you are quitting. You aren't even waiting for spring ball to end. In fact, you barely made it 1/3 of spring ball. Maybe you get hot the last couple of weeks? Maybe you just say to yourself, "yeah, I'm transferring, but I'm gonna give it hell my last couple of weeks and try to learn everything I can." And maybe that hot streak has you moving up the daily depth chart. So much so that maybe folks are saying you made it a battle. You gain nothing by quitting before spring ball ends. Now you're the sour grapes guy.

He didn't have to stay forever, but he certainly shouldn't have taken his ball and gone home after 4-5 spring practices. Granted, I can't know what's going on in a kid's life, and I'm sure he has his reasons. Wish him well. Based on some film, I had high hopes for him here at Oregon. Would be nice to see him make it elsewhere. But I'll always be doubting now.
dthomas=ddixon

Post by dthomas=ddixon »

For his sake, I hope he has someone advising him who is thinking clearly. If his family members are the only ones in his ear then I feel bad for him. Sticking around for a couple more weeks simply to take advantage of the free development would have made sense. He could easily have been working on his transfer options during that time and split as soon as spring ball was over.
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Post by UOducksTK1 »

polyduck wrote:....like Bryan Bennett, he too saw the "writing on the wall" when MM8 took over and exited left. TW seems like a good kid....and I wish him well! Maybe he'll end up with the Coach that he committed to coming out of HS...Coach Riley.
Right, can't blame him for recognizing he's 3rd on the depth chart. Probably even more difficult considering he had the edge on Jonsen previously. Might as well get a new start early while you have a lot of eligibility left.

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13
DuckMastaFunk
Five Star Recruit

Post by DuckMastaFunk »

UOducksTK1 wrote:
polyduck wrote:....like Bryan Bennett, he too saw the "writing on the wall" when MM8 took over and exited left. TW seems like a good kid....and I wish him well! Maybe he'll end up with the Coach that he committed to coming out of HS...Coach Riley.
Right, can't blame him for recognizing he's 3rd on the depth chart. Probably even more difficult considering he had the edge on Jonsen previously. Might as well get a new start early while you have a lot of eligibility left.
Tale of Two QBs. Jonsen fell to the absolute bottom of the depth chart less than a year ago. He sticks with it; he works his butt off and is now second string behind a phenom. Wilson, slips from 2 to 3 and bails.

Too bad for Wilson, but gotta give credit to Jonsen.
Groundswell
Four Star Recruit

Post by Groundswell »

dthomas=ddixon wrote:For his sake, I hope he has someone advising him who is thinking clearly. If his family members are the only ones in his ear then I feel bad for him. Sticking around for a couple more weeks simply to take advantage of the free development would have made sense. He could easily have been working on his transfer options during that time and split as soon as spring ball was over.
And it wouldn't have changed his playing/eligibility status one bit. And none of us would be saying jack about him leaving after spring ball other than "I don't blame the kid one bit."

I guess I get the argument that when a kid knows, he knows. But that likely meant he really wasn't happy here at all, and held out some kind of hope that Taggart could change that for him. I suppose if he was miserable and wanted to leave right away. But he's still enrolled at Oregon, right?
Hoagduck
Four Star Recruit

Post by Hoagduck »

I think he saw himself falling behind even Braxton Burmeister the past couple weeks. That's the new element this spring.
duckfan22
Senior

Post by duckfan22 »

Ya gotta give props to Jonsen for sticking it out. He is the guy i thought would bail after
last year dropping on the depth chart. I think he figured out he needed to improve and going
somewhere else may stall that. I'm just thinking out loud.. But im impressed by him staying.