Predictions on the future of the remaining QB's

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

Alan
Senior

Predictions on the future of the remaining QB's

Post by Alan »

Seems like early in 2017 football year, Herbert is the front runner for the starting job. Wilson is gone, seems leaving Jonsen as the backup. Curious about the future, Herbert is a true sophomore how long will Braxton be willing to set? Does Jonson leave next year. When does Herbert leave? Any thoughts?
TualatinDuck
Senior

Re: Predictions on the future of the remaining QB's

Post by TualatinDuck »

At this point I don't think Travis leaves. He was pretty much all Oregon from day one and I think being tied to the program is more important for him. I have no inside knowledge but that's my gut feeling.
"And I can be the warrior for those who are frail and weak,
And I can be the compass for those that search and seek." ~Lem Absher
Groundswell
Four Star Recruit

Post by Groundswell »

Hard to answer all those questions. But I was one who thought Wilson was going to have an Oregon career worth noting before Herbert happened to him. Then I thought, well, if Herbert is that special, he could be in the NFL after his Junior season, so Wilson still could start for two years. Now, Wilson is gone, so I got burned by Wilson.

Best guesses?

Herbert probably goes pro after junior year. However, if he thinks we're good enough to maybe have a shot at the Natty, I could see him staying for his Senior year because hometown team and all. But I expect he's probably a sure fire first rounder, he's probably gone.

Braxton is a good player. Smart too. He's going to be hard to keep off the field. But the 2018 or 2019 qb could be special. Future still too far out to make a bold prediction on Braxton.

I think Jonsen stays through graduation. Now that he's the clear #2, I don't see why he'd leave. He'll get on the field her or there. Maybe even start his senior year.
wlduck
Sophomore

Post by wlduck »

Herbert seems like a guy who will stay 4 years.
Duck24
Senior

Post by Duck24 »

If Jonsen is going to transfer, I'd bet it would be as a grad transfer after the 2017 season. He got here winter of 2015 so is currently in his 10th term on campus. He'd potentially have to accelerate his courseload a bit, but it's not unreasonable to see that as a possibility.
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

wlduck wrote:Herbert seems like a guy who will stay 4 years.
As much as I would like that, if he can be a first rounder after next year, he should leave. Ifo taught us that.
Alan
Senior

Post by Alan »

Duck24 wrote:If Jonsen is going to transfer, I'd bet it would be as a grad transfer after the 2017 season. He got here winter of 2015 so is currently in his 10th term on campus. He'd potentially have to accelerate his courseload a bit, but it's not unreasonable to see that as a possibility.
I can see him as a grad transfer if he can get his academics done on time. It will interesting to see how he has developed in the spring game. I don't see Herbert as a first rounder after next year, thinking he has at least three years here, at least 3.
DuckNV
One Star Recruit

Post by DuckNV »

Alan wrote:
Duck24 wrote:If Jonsen is going to transfer, I'd bet it would be as a grad transfer after the 2017 season. He got here winter of 2015 so is currently in his 10th term on campus. He'd potentially have to accelerate his courseload a bit, but it's not unreasonable to see that as a possibility.
I can see him as a grad transfer if he can get his academics done on time. It will interesting to see how he has developed in the spring game. I don't see Herbert as a first rounder after next year, thinking he has at least three years here, at least 3.
I'm pretty sure the NFL requires 3 years after high school before a player can be drafted so Herbert won't leave after the 2017 season to play in the NFL
Alan
Senior

Post by Alan »

DuckNV wrote:
Alan wrote:
I'm pretty sure the NFL requires 3 years after high school before a player can be drafted so Herbert won't leave after the 2017 season to play in the NFL
Correct, slipped my mind
wlduck
Sophomore

Post by wlduck »

buckmarkduck wrote:
wlduck wrote:Herbert seems like a guy who will stay 4 years.
As much as I would like that, if he can be a first rounder after next year, he should leave. Ifo taught us that.
I agree with you actually but people do things for their own reasons.
woundedknees
All-American

Post by woundedknees »

Ifo's insurance policy says' "Hi!"
Autzen Stadium... Where great teams go to die...Hard!

Duck24
Senior

Post by Duck24 »

woundedknees wrote:Ifo's insurance policy says' "Hi!"
What did he get from that, $3 million tax free? By comparison, a late first rounder makes $8-10M guaranteed, so $4-5M post tax/agent fees. The insurance policy is certainly a nice safety net but it cost him at a minimum $1-2M. On top of that, he was the first player ever to fully collect on one of those policies so I'm curious if he cut a fat check to a lawyer as a part of that.

If you have the chance to leave and are going to be a high draft pick, you do it 100% of the time.
lukeyrid13
All-American
GM: Portland TrailBlazers

Post by lukeyrid13 »

I don't think ifo would have ever been drafted that high,his measurables, namely his height, 5'9 and 40 time would have caused him to slip.
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

woundedknees wrote:Ifo's insurance policy says' "Hi!"
His knee that doesn't allow him to perform at his peak level, and has got him cut from 2 NFL teams says hi.
woundedknees
All-American

Post by woundedknees »

My point was that for some people, there are more important things than an extra couple mil... How much does a rational person need to set them up comfortably for life?
Autzen Stadium... Where great teams go to die...Hard!