Any else cautiously optimistic?

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

bdkipe
Two Star Recruit

Any else cautiously optimistic?

Post by bdkipe »

I don't want to get ahead of my skis as a fan, but this really feels a lot like between 2006-2007.

Between 2006 and 2007:

- Broken model
- new guy with visor comes in and gets Coach B to implement a new way of practicing
- new visor-clad coach coins a simplistic, on-point slogan
- much-maligned QB taken under the wing of a fast-talking guru named Chip (turns out to be Heisman frontrunner)

Between 2016-2017:

- Broken model
- new guy with visor comes in and implements a new way of practicing
- new visor-clad coach coins simplistic, on-point slogan
- much-maligned DEFENSE taken under the wing of a fast-moving guru named Jim (future TBD)
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Re: Any else cautiously optimistic?

Post by UOducksTK1 »

I'm very confident this team will be better than last year's. I'll say that much lol.

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13
karlhungis
All Pac-12

Post by karlhungis »

I am. I think our offense will be at least as good as it was last year and I think it isn't unreasonable to believe that our defense can be a top 50 defense this year, which would be a huge improvement. I am thinking 9-3.
OregonFan4life -
My source just said Chip is officially back!
It will be announced at Autzen press conference tomorrow afternoon!
duckfan22
Senior

Post by duckfan22 »

UOducksTK1 wrote:I'm very confident this team will be better than last year's. I'll say that much lol.
way to go out on a limb TK...lol
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Post by UOducksTK1 »

duckfan22 wrote:
UOducksTK1 wrote:I'm very confident this team will be better than last year's. I'll say that much lol.
Fine, I'm going with 8 wins. What's your bold prediction?

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13
duckfan22
Senior

Post by duckfan22 »

UOducksTK1 wrote:
duckfan22 wrote:
Fine, I'm going with 8 wins. What's your bold prediction?
I'm thinking 9 wins...
Greenblood
Senior

Post by Greenblood »

I think we should base our predictions on a 13-game season that would of course include a bowl game (it would obviously be pretty depressing to imagine less than six wins).

9-4 seems reasonable to me. Wouldn't be surprised with 8-5. I think it takes a lot to turn around a program that had fallen as much as UO had, probably a few years to get back to consistently challenging for a league title.
woundedknees
All-American

Post by woundedknees »

Shoot, throw caution to the wind!

10 wins, including a decent bowl victory.
Autzen Stadium... Where great teams go to die...Hard!

Alan
Senior

Post by Alan »

I can see starting the season 6-0 and would like to predict a 9-3 season before the bowl game....... but going to side with caution and say we end up 8-4 before the bowl game. Which would make me extremely happy and very impressive with the one year turn around. D may not end up in the top half of the nation, but will be much better....hard not to be.
mdm0302
Freshman

Post by mdm0302 »

Im always a crazy optimist, which means i don't think this is that crazy: Pac 12 Champs.
Duckattack7
Five Star Recruit

Post by Duckattack7 »

mdm0302 wrote:Im always a crazy optimist, which means i don't think this is that crazy: Pac 12 Champs.
+1 we have the offense to do it it all hinges on what the defense does. But I think we lose to SC.
Return Of the Quack!
lukeyrid13
All-American
GM: Portland TrailBlazers

Post by lukeyrid13 »

I foresee losses to: usc, uw, Stanford and a non-conference loss as well. Perhaps a loss to wazzu, but 7-5 is passable and 8-4 is really good considering the year we had last year.
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

Agree. I don't think last years team wasn't as bad as the 4-8 record said. I truly believe they gave up for the most part after the loss to Colorado. They did play like they cared for a half vs Cal and like they wanted revenge vs Utah, but other than that they just seemed like they wanted the season to be over. If the new staff can just get them to play hard for the entire game, every game, I think they have the talent to be a 8-9 win team. Honestly I see us having 4-5 guys drafted next year, so the talent isn't as bleak as people think.
Last edited by buckmarkduck on Tue May 02, 2017 5:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
pezsez1
All Pac-12

Post by pezsez1 »

Agree. I don't think last years team was as bad as the 4-8 record said. I truly believe they gave up for the most part after the loss to Colorado.
I feel the same way. The team played much tougher early in the year, but just seemed to be deflated after some close, gut-wrenching losses.

I think estimating eight or nine wins is safe; I honestly wouldn't be surprised by 10 though. We definitely have the offense for it. Really, everything depends on the defense.
Willie Taggart is a dick.
bdkipe
Two Star Recruit

Post by bdkipe »

FYI Guys and Gals = We skip USC next year:

v Southern Utah = WIN
v Nebraska = WIN (Revenge and Taggert Mojo - team will be pumped for this game)
@ Wyoming = WIN (possible letdown game, but in spite of altitude and great coaching, we simply have too much talent)
@ ASU = WIN (Graham has that program headed in the wrong direction, he's the 2017 version of Helf)
v Cal = WIN (cupboard is bare for JWilcox and Crew, although Baldwin's O will put up points on our D)
v WSU = WIN (Coach Joe is going to have the Dline fired up and I believe this is part of the "revenge Pacific NW tour")
@ Stanford = PICK 'EM, but this feels like one of the every-other-years where Stanford's offense goes MIA #NoMoreMcCaffrey
@ UCLA = WIN (as usual Mora guts his coaching staff this past off-season and the team quits on him once adversity hits)
v Utah = WIN (Willingham will not be able to keep his hands off the offense an entire season, he'll F up their mojo at some point)
@ Washingtom = LOSS (God, this pains me to admit this)
V Arizona = WIN (at this point I think Rich Rod will have been axed and an interim coach named)
V OsEWE = WIN (four words: Revenge, Rivalry, Talent, Autzen)

Go ahead and pick the above apart, but I see one FOR SURE loss (UW) and I really have no faith in Stanford's "O" putting it together in back-to-back years, especially sans McCaffrey.