Visiting Fan

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

HuskerFan
High School Drop Out

Visiting Fan

Post by HuskerFan »

Hey all! Hope it is okay to post this here.

We are looking to head to Eugene for the Husker/Duck game this year and I had a few questions.

1. Is flying into Portland the best route to take?
2. Are there any "must hit" bars around campus? We are not super worried about tailgating but would rather hit up some bars before and after the game.
3. What time do bars usually open on game day?
4. Is there a Greek Row on campus? I love seeing the houses.

We are super excited to for the trip so any information would be great!
duckduckgoose
Five Star Recruit

Re: Visiting Fan

Post by duckduckgoose »

HuskerFan wrote:Hey all! Hope it is okay to post this here.

We are looking to head to Eugene for the Husker/Duck game this year and I had a few questions.

2. Are there any "must hit" bars around campus? We are not super worried about tailgating but would rather hit up some bars before and after the game.

Welcome! I think flying into a Portland and renting a car is the best option. Gives you the option of seeing the sites around Portland, like Multnomah Falls and Timberline Lodge before heading to the game.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Alan
Senior

Post by Alan »

You are more than welcome here Huskerfan. I can't answer but only one question. You can fly into Eugene, but will have many more flight options flying into Portland. Portland to Eugene is a little over two hours driving time.
Duck24
Senior

Post by Duck24 »

1) Depends on what you want to do. If you just want to get to and see Eugene, I think it's worth the extra money to fly into Eugene and not deal with renting a car/driving 2+ hours from Portland to Eugene. If you want to see Oregon in all of its beauty, definitely fly into PDX and drive down.

2) On campus, you have Taylor's, Rennies and the Webfoot. Taylor's is your more prototypical college bar, pretty 'bro' but can be fun. Rennie's is laid back, chill and has a nice Eugene vibe. Webfoot is my must hit when I go down because it's a nice blend of Rennie's and Taylor's, normally not uncomfortably crowded as Taylor's and love their beer selection.

3) I think it's 9AM during football season.

4) Kind of. The houses are somewhat spread out across campus but just a few blocks off campus there is a row of I think three or four. You can, however, see the original Animal House on 11th and Hilyard.
duckfan96
Senior

Post by duckfan96 »

Welcome huskerfan. As was said earlier Portland is probably the safest bet to fly into. And if you have the time a drive to multnomah falls. I work with a husker fan and he is going to the game as well(from tn). Hope the game and trip are very enjoyable for you
HuskerFan
High School Drop Out

Post by HuskerFan »

Thanks for all the information so far! Thanks for the tips on the bars. Are the bars usually packed during the game or is it more of a tailgating crowd? I guess what I mean is that some of the bars in Lincoln will be packed pre and post game but clear out during the actual game.
coastduck
One Star Recruit

Post by coastduck »

1. You'll likely find many more flight options to Portland. If you're flying in Friday night, you probably won't have time to do much outside of Eugene, so flying in through EUG makes sense. If you're coming earlier and have a little time, fly through PDX and get a car. Depending on time, you'll have access to anything in town, the gorge, mountains, coast, wine country, etc. The drive from Portland to Eugene will take about 2 hours, give or take, but can take longer if you're trying to make it shortly before game time. If you do drive down on Saturday morning, I recommend leaving VERY early to avoid traffic. Oregon State also has a home game (Minnesota) that day, so if the game times are similar, there's potential for double the gameday traffic. That can be a nightmare.

2. I'll mostly leave this one to others. I'm partial to Rennie's near campus, but there are some very good breweries and bars throughout Eugene. There aren't many near the stadium itself, which is a short walk across the river from the main campus. I do very much recommend parking on campus and making the walk over, as it is gorgeous in the fall. You'll have no trouble finding the way, as there will be a constant stream of fans walking that way.

3. Opening hours vary. I think Rennie's opens at 7:30 for breakfast, but each bar has their own hours. Not really a general rule. Depending on the game time, all should be open plenty early for pregaming.

4. I think Duck24's answer on this one is spot-on. However, the actual Delta house from the movie was torn down in the mid-80's. You'll recognize many of the buildings nearby, and can spot many other filming locations if you walk through campus and the surrounding neighborhoods.

Hope you guys enjoy the trip out (well, maybe not too much...). We had a great time in both Lincoln and Omaha, and were treated very well by all.
HuskerFan
High School Drop Out

Post by HuskerFan »

Glad to hear that you had a good time in Lincoln! We partied with some Duck fans that day and had a blast with them.

Love all the information, it is really helpful. I think we will be flying in on Friday and leaving Sunday. I hope the game is in the afternoon as that tends to give us plenty of time before and after to drink and check things out...but most drink.
coastduck
One Star Recruit

Post by coastduck »

HuskerFan wrote:Glad to hear that you had a good time in Lincoln! We partied with some Duck fans that day and had a blast with them.

Love all the information, it is really helpful. I think we will be flying in on Friday and leaving Sunday. I hope the game is in the afternoon as that tends to give us plenty of time before and after to drink and check things out...but most drink.
Yes, all of the Husker fans we met around town and at the bars before the game were super friendly and represented your school/state/team very well. My only complaint about the trip was that the game ended with an L for the Ducks.

I don't post here much, but this is probably the friendliest Duck board out there. Lots of good folks who will point you in the right direction if you ask. Feel free to PM if you've got specific questions as the trip comes closer. Away football trips are just about my favorite thing, so I always try to help out visitors as much as I can.
TualatinDuck
Senior

Post by TualatinDuck »

The Cooler is right down the street from the stadium and will have a decent crowd before the game and after as well.

It can however be a pain to get a beer when that place is busy.
"And I can be the warrior for those who are frail and weak,
And I can be the compass for those that search and seek." ~Lem Absher