Colorado: defensive stats for 2016

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

Duck4Ever
Three Star Recruit

Colorado: defensive stats for 2016

Post by Duck4Ever »

The Buffs had the best red zone defense in the Pac 12, and ranked 12th overall in the nation.

They also had the 20th ranked defense in points allowed, at 21.7 per game.

Despite not having much talent, they still averaged 2.57 sacks per game.... 30th in the nation.

20th in the nation in passing yards per game. A 193.6 average.

19th in the nation in total defense, allowing 342.5 yards per game.
alabamaduck
Four Star Recruit

Re: Colorado: defensive stats for 2016

Post by alabamaduck »

Duck4Ever wrote:The Buffs had the best red zone defense in the Pac 12, and ranked 12th overall in the nation.

Despite not having much talent, they still averaged 2.57 sacks per game.... 30th in the nation.

I keep hearing that they didn't have much talent but they had 4 defensive players drafted, including 3 DBs who went in the 2nd, 3rd & 4th rounds. Their guys may not have been highly rated coming out of high school, but they had talent on defense
Alan
Senior

Post by Alan »

Duck4Ever wrote:The Buffs had the best red zone defense in the Pac 12, and ranked 12th overall in the nation.

Not bad for only two year at Colorado
Greenblood
Senior

Post by Greenblood »

And a little more relevant to me are the overall defensive effectiveness measures and rankings put together by Football Outsiders (https://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/ncaadef), where last year's Buff D finished 7th and 12th, respectively.
Duck4Ever
Three Star Recruit

Post by Duck4Ever »

alabamaduck wrote:

I keep hearing that they didn't have much talent but they had 4 defensive players drafted, including 3 DBs who went in the 2nd, 3rd & 4th rounds. Their guys may not have been highly rated coming out of high school, but they had talent on defense
It was developed. You take those same players and had they gone to Oregon the last few years, you really think they'd done as well? Also, went it comes to rushing the passer... they don't have much talent there to be honest. They still produced.
GrantDuck
Senior

Post by GrantDuck »

Don't expect this in year 1 at Oregon. New system, talent is pretty barren, need time to recruit to system as well.

Simply an across the board improvement, even in small increments is what to look for. By the end of the season I'd at least expect players to be in the proper gaps most of the time and working as a unit better.
Duck4Ever
Three Star Recruit

Post by Duck4Ever »

GrantDuck wrote:Don't expect this in year 1 at Oregon. New system, talent is pretty barren, need time to recruit to system as well.

Simply an across the board improvement, even in small increments is what to look for. By the end of the season I'd at least expect players to be in the proper gaps most of the time and working as a unit better.
Lol not expecting the same, but the 50th to 60th ranked defense is pretty realistic.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

I'd take Oregon jumping up from last year's 120th-ranked defense to around 80th. Doing that and Oregon likely wins 4-5 more games than they did last year.
Phenom
All Pac-12

Post by Phenom »

Clark seems to be a great developer of DBs too.
UofO8
Senior

Post by UofO8 »

Phenom wrote:Clark seems to be a great developer of DBs too.
Don't say that to buff fans. They'll be quick to tell you that it was all MacIntyre.
Groundswell
Four Star Recruit

Post by Groundswell »

I have to think that this year is too soon for a major defensive turn around. Takes time. Not always, but usually. There will have to be some growing pains as the players learn another new system. Then there's the level of confidence that is needed and this collection of defenders hasn't shown. A lot would have to come together perfectly for the defense to improve into the top 60. Could happen, but everything has to go just right. I would say we'll see incremental improvements with the team playing increasingly sound football as the season wears on. We still have a lot of youth without experience and veterans who haven't done jack in 3-4 years. One of the worst front defensive sevens I've ever seen from a team that considers itself a national player. The 2018 season is when we'll start seeing the kind of improvements we really need. The big changes. 2018 is potentially a 10+ win season. The defense will cost us a couple games in 2017 outright, and then we'll probably lose a couple close games due to dumb luck or lack of confidence.

How I could be proved completely wrong? We do have a lot of good defensive coaches now.
TheHypeIsReal
One Star Recruit

Post by TheHypeIsReal »

UofO8 wrote:
Phenom wrote:Clark seems to be a great developer of DBs too.
Don't say that to buff fans. They'll be quick to tell you that it was all MacIntyre.
I think you have to give MacIntyre credit for evaluating talent. Not to take anything away from Coach Pepsi but I think he had some folks with more physical skills than their recruiting ranking would indicate.