Mattingly, 3 walk-ons leave program

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

greenyellow

Mattingly, 3 walk-ons leave program

Post by greenyellow »

According to JHop, LB Danny Mattingly has left the team, as have walk-ons Ronnie Rust, Connor Berggren, and Brandon Gahagan.

https://scoopduck.com/s/454/ducks-lose-scholarship-lb
karlhungis
All Pac-12

Re: Mattingly, 3 walk-ons leave program

Post by karlhungis »

Well, that stinks.
OregonFan4life -
My source just said Chip is officially back!
It will be announced at Autzen press conference tomorrow afternoon!
Alan
Senior

Post by Alan »

Not to surprising, bouncing between D and O, he didn't seem to have a break in spot. Happens every year, just wish the best for him.
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

Alan wrote:Not to surprising, bouncing between D and O, he didn't seem to have a break in spot. Happens every year, just wish the best for him.
He never played O. He just sucked on D.
Alan
Senior

Post by Alan »

buckmarkduck wrote:
Alan wrote:Not to surprising, bouncing between D and O, he didn't seem to have a break in spot. Happens every year, just wish the best for him.
At sometime he was listed as a TE
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

Alan wrote:
buckmarkduck wrote:
I see the confusion now. He was never listed at TE, it was a rumor spread by someone claiming to have inside info that he would be moving to TE. It never happened though.
Alan
Senior

Post by Alan »

buckmarkduck wrote:
Alan wrote:
buckmarkduck wrote:
I see the confusion now. He was never listed at TE, it was a rumor spread by someone claiming to have inside info that he would be moving to TE. It never happened though.
Thanks for the clarification, wasn't he recruited as a TE? Not trying to argue, but that is what my old mind is telling me, recruited as a TE and moved to LB.... then rumored somewhere he was going back to TE. Again not trying to make trouble, it's just how my mind remembers it.
uostudent
Senior

Post by uostudent »

Mattingly was a bust. Highly regarded recruit with athletic bloodlines. Mattingly is a physical specimen, but seemed very slow to diagnose plays. Would have been interesting to potentially see him on the offensive end, but he had no business playing defense anymore at Oregon.
“If everybody in this room just want to be real with themselves, this game could have went either way,” he said. “We turned the ball over a lot. We beat ourself. Just be real with yourself right now. We beat ourself.”
-Jameis Winston after Oregon's decisive 59-20 victory over Florida State in the Rose Bowl
karlhungis
All Pac-12

Post by karlhungis »

uostudent wrote:Mattingly was a bust. Highly regarded recruit with athletic bloodlines. Mattingly is a physical specimen, but seemed very slow to diagnose plays. Would have been interesting to potentially see him on the offensive end, but he had no business playing defense anymore at Oregon.
I was hoping we would see more of his potential realized when he actually had some decent coaching.
OregonFan4life -
My source just said Chip is officially back!
It will be announced at Autzen press conference tomorrow afternoon!
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

It's crazy how he played so many downs last year, and somehow only managed to collect 7 tackles all year. Dye had double that his first game as a true Fr.
duckfbfan15
Three Star Recruit

Post by duckfbfan15 »

The crazy thing is that I still think Hotchkins is way worse than Mattingly ever was.

GO HARD, GO OREGON, GO DUCKS!
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

Anyone who thinks Aj is worse, either just doesn't like AJ, or your not really watching DM when he plays. DM is lost, confused and just didn't care half the time. And two sets of coaching staffs saw the same thing.
Groundswell
Four Star Recruit

Post by Groundswell »

karlhungis wrote:
uostudent wrote:Mattingly was a bust. Highly regarded recruit with athletic bloodlines. Mattingly is a physical specimen, but seemed very slow to diagnose plays. Would have been interesting to potentially see him on the offensive end, but he had no business playing defense anymore at Oregon.
I was hoping we would see more of his potential realized when he actually had some decent coaching.
Anybody who has been in a major cfb program for as long as DM isn't failing because he doesn't know what he's doing. I mean, he couldn't even make himself serviceable. New coaching is going to help some of these players become serviceable, but basically what decent coaching is going to do for us is get this defensive roster turned over.
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Post by UOducksTK1 »

Yeah he really was a bust, I wonder if it was partly due to poor player devlopment at LB too though.

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13
srsmiley007
Four Star Recruit

Post by srsmiley007 »

UOducksTK1 wrote:
Yeah he really was a bust, I wonder if it was partly due to poor player devlopment at LB too though.
This is exactly it. 4 years wasted without seeing a ton of starting time. Don't blame him for walking away now. If he's not going to see the field after all this time, whats the point. The only one that hurts is Connor Berggran. Not sure why he's leaving, by all accounts he was progressing.