Wyoming game

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Wyoming game

Post by UOducksTK1 »

They got a QB who has legit NFL potential. They are pretty good at home. Their defense isn't great, but I think this is going to be a pretty awesome game. Good test for WT and the new staff. Anyway, Josh Allen's highlights are fun to watch, check it out.

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13
nogerO
Senior

Re: Wyoming game

Post by nogerO »

Our CB play better be vastly improved over last year or he's going to torch us.
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice the gift." - Steve Prefontaine
GrantDuck
Senior

Post by GrantDuck »

He's probably going to torch us, LOL.

Should be a fun shootout. Maybe a 60/40 game for us.
polyduck
Four Star Recruit

Post by polyduck »

I was more impressed with Tanner Gentry (#4). Unfortunately....it looks like he's a Sr this upcoming season.
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by UOducksTK1 »

GrantDuck wrote:He's probably going to torch us, LOL.

Should be a fun shootout. Maybe a 60/40 game for us.
Exactly what I'm thinking. If coaches can get our offense to the level we want it to be by this game, we should win.

snapt
Four Star Recruit

Post by snapt »

I may drive over from JH to Laramie for this one. Local news is hyping this kid up huge as a #1 pick. He's got the physical skills, we'll see if he puts it all together. If so might make it interesting.
BOOF it!
Bigducker
Freshman

Post by Bigducker »

Allen is good but Wyoming has lost most of its basic core of receiving and running backs. Will be a lot tougher for him this year. Plus there were a bunch of players dismissed and suspended.
Ducks by at least 3 TDs
DCPoke
One Star Recruit

Post by DCPoke »

The players dismissed were walk-ons and redshirts that hadn't contributed much if any last year, so their loss wasn't that impactful. The loss of WR Tanner Gentry (UDFA for Chicago), WR Jake Malhardt (UDFA New Orleans) , RB Brian Hill (5th round Atlanta) TE Jacob Holister (UDFA New England) and C/G Chase Rolllier (6th round Washington) will have an impact. However, Josh Allen has a lot of confidence in the underclass replacements who all saw significant time last year. Wyoming defense is getting back DE Carl Granderson who was having a career year until he got hurt in the middle of the season. There's also the Coach Bohl factor which is significant. I'm looking forward to the Cowboys hosting the Ducks in War Memorial at 7,220 feet above MSL, the highest FBS stadium in the country. The early line out of Vegas has the Pokes a 1-point dog. It's shaping up to be an interesting contest.
nogerO
Senior

Crap

Post by nogerO »

I was going to drive down or ride depending on the weather, from Casper for the game but it looks like I'll be working in Ohio/W. Virginia area at that time. Crap I've been waiting for this game for years, since it first came out on the schedule, hoping it wouldn't be cancelled and now I probably won't be able to go. :( Oregon better be ready to play, Bohl had a great game plan at Autzen, but didn't have the horses in his first year. He's had 2 recruiting cycles now and is a very good coach. Remember North Dakota State? Altitude and attitude will decide this game. :)
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice the gift." - Steve Prefontaine
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

DCPoke wrote:The players dismissed were walk-ons and redshirts that hadn't contributed much if any last year, so their loss wasn't that impactful. The loss of WR Tanner Gentry (UDFA for Chicago), WR Jake Malhardt (UDFA New Orleans) , RB Brian Hill (5th round Atlanta) TE Jacob Holister (UDFA New England) and C/G Chase Rolllier (6th round Washington) will have an impact. However, Josh Allen has a lot of confidence in the underclass replacements who all saw significant time last year. Wyoming defense is getting back DE Carl Granderson who was having a career year until he got hurt in the middle of the season. There's also the Coach Bohl factor which is significant. I'm looking forward to the Cowboys hosting the Ducks in War Memorial at 7,220 feet above MSL, the highest FBS stadium in the country. The early line out of Vegas has the Pokes a 1-point dog. It's shaping up to be an interesting contest.
I spent a summer after the UO living and working inside Rocky at around 7700 feet, that is when it really will hit you. My experience was that a mile high wasn't anything bad (and I live like 28 feet above sea level) but going up another 2-3K was. My crazy uncle trained for a fight in Casper and he was good for the first minute, lol.

Wonder if we see the players train with those oxygen deprivation masks?
DCPoke
One Star Recruit

Post by DCPoke »

I spent a summer after the UO living and working inside Rocky at around 7700 feet, that is when it really will hit you. My experience was that a mile high wasn't anything bad (and I live like 28 feet above sea level) but going up another 2-3K was. My crazy uncle trained for a fight in Casper and he was good for the first minute, lol.

War Memorial's elevation doesn't guarantee Wyoming a victory against a team from a low elevation, but it does make it tougher for the visitor. Ole Miss and Virginia lost in the War and I think elevation was a big factor. Nebraska and Texas beat Wyoming readily and I think those team's depth and skill overcame any effect the elevation may have. Elevation can be a factor particularly if the game is close in the fourth quarter. If the Pokes can keep the visitor's defense on the field then the elevation begins to grind down the lowlanders. This is what happened to Ole Miss as they just plainly ran out of gas. Virginia's quarterback clearly had problems with the elevation and had a terrible game. That coupled with the fact that the Hoos beat the Cowboys two years before in OT in Charlottesville, so revenge was a factor as well.

If the Duck out-talent the Pokes and score early and often they'll probably win. If they let the Cowboys stay close then beware of the 4th quarter.
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by UOducksTK1 »

DCPoke wrote:The players dismissed were walk-ons and redshirts that hadn't contributed much if any last year, so their loss wasn't that impactful. The loss of WR Tanner Gentry (UDFA for Chicago), WR Jake Malhardt (UDFA New Orleans) , RB Brian Hill (5th round Atlanta) TE Jacob Holister (UDFA New England) and C/G Chase Rolllier (6th round Washington) will have an impact. However, Josh Allen has a lot of confidence in the underclass replacements who all saw significant time last year. Wyoming defense is getting back DE Carl Granderson who was having a career year until he got hurt in the middle of the season. There's also the Coach Bohl factor which is significant. I'm looking forward to the Cowboys hosting the Ducks in War Memorial at 7,220 feet above MSL, the highest FBS stadium in the country. The early line out of Vegas has the Pokes a 1-point dog. It's shaping up to be an interesting contest.
This is not a game I'd bet on, because you really don't know what you'll be getting from Oregon. Plus the altitude and a top notch QB add more variables into the mix.

I'm excited though. Who knew a road game to Wyoming would one of the most exciting games on the schedule.

nogerO
Senior

Post by nogerO »

DCPoke wrote:

War Memorial's elevation doesn't guarantee Wyoming a victory against a team from a low elevation, but it does make it tougher for the visitor. Ole Miss and Virginia lost in the War and I think elevation was a big factor. Nebraska and Texas beat Wyoming readily and I think those team's depth and skill overcame any effect the elevation may have. Elevation can be a factor particularly if the game is close in the fourth quarter. If the Pokes can keep the visitor's defense on the field then the elevation begins to grind down the lowlanders. This is what happened to Ole Miss as they just plainly ran out of gas. Virginia's quarterback clearly had problems with the elevation and had a terrible game. That coupled with the fact that the Hoos beat the Cowboys two years before in OT in Charlottesville, so revenge was a factor as well.

If the Duck out-talent the Pokes and score early and often they'll probably win. If they let the Cowboys stay close then beware of the 4th quarter.
IIRC, Wyoming was ahead of Texass at half and most of the 3rd quarter before the longhorns rallied late for the win. Don't thing I'd say they won handily based off my recollection. But then again, I'm so old that when I was young rocks were soft.
Bigducker
Freshman

Post by Bigducker »

Don’t know where you’re getting your info but the players kicked off the team were not walk-ons at all, they were all supposed to be players this year.

"Three players from the Wyoming football team have been dismissed from the program and five have been suspended, UW athletics announced Thursday.

Defensive tackle Ja’Chai Baker, linebacker Drew Harvey and fullback Zach Taylor, all of whom redshirted last season, have been kicked off the team.

Taylor, from Gillette, was a two-time Star-Tribune Super 25 selection at linebacker.

Freshman running back Mike Green II, rising junior cornerback Antonio Hull, rising senior free safety Tim Kamana, freshman linebacker Adrian King and rising junior linebacker/nickel back Chavez Pownell have been suspended."
DCPoke
One Star Recruit

Post by DCPoke »

Bigducker wrote:
Don’t know where you’re getting your info but the players kicked off the team were not walk-ons at all, they were all supposed to be players this year.

"Three players from the Wyoming football team have been dismissed from the program and five have been suspended, UW athletics announced Thursday.

Defensive tackle Ja’Chai Baker, linebacker Drew Harvey and fullback Zach Taylor, all of whom redshirted last season, have been kicked off the team.

Taylor, from Gillette, was a two-time Star-Tribune Super 25 selection at linebacker

Freshman running back Mike Green II, rising junior cornerback Antonio Hull, rising senior free safety Tim Kamana, freshman linebacker Adrian King and rising junior linebacker/nickel back Chavez Pownell have been suspended."
Of those listed above only Tim Kamana and Antonio Hull saw some time on the field. Given they keep their noses clean they'll probably be reinstated this fall. Again, none of those dropped or suspended were instrumental to Wyoming's season last year.