Jonsen Transferring

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

Phenom
All Pac-12

Re: Jonsen Transferring

Post by Phenom »

A bit worried about the QBs after Herbert, although Burmeister did impress this Spring. Take 1 or 2 qbs this class?
GrandpaDuck
Senior

Post by GrandpaDuck »

I'd see if Ty Griffin wants to go back to QB for his Senior year. Remembering back to the spring game he played QB a few years ago, he would fit the Gulf Coast offense I saw last year.

When your number one QB goes down, particularly in what is a run heavy offense already, the passing game is really scaled down. Even with their #1 QB last year the passing game at USF was flanker screen, flanker screen, flanker screen, Go route, flanker screen, repeat.

Ty threw a good long ball and I imagine he can throw a flanker screen. The main function of the emergency backup QB would be run the ball. At that he is a real threat.
Jesseisabeast
One Star Recruit

Post by Jesseisabeast »

Another thing to remember is somebody has to be the scout team quarterback so you can prepare our starters week to week
karlhungis
All Pac-12

Post by karlhungis »

Tray Dub wrote:
polyduck wrote:Hmmm.....think he "pulled the trigger" too fast on this one. 2008 can happen again....when we were down to our 5th string QB. Best of luck Travis!
Yeah but he might've had to spend his whole career waiting for a chance that wasn't guaranteed to come. It's tough to ask a kid to take the risk of never getting his shot.
And how many guys in his position here have transferred, "got their shot" and had it pay off? Transferring isn't a guarantee either.
OregonFan4life -
My source just said Chip is officially back!
It will be announced at Autzen press conference tomorrow afternoon!
Tray Dub
All Pac-12

Post by Tray Dub »

karlhungis wrote:
Tray Dub wrote:
polyduck wrote:Hmmm.....think he "pulled the trigger" too fast on this one. 2008 can happen again....when we were down to our 5th string QB. Best of luck Travis!
Yeah but he might've had to spend his whole career waiting for a chance that wasn't guaranteed to come. It's tough to ask a kid to take the risk of never getting his shot.
And how many guys in his position here have transferred, "got their shot" and had it pay off? Transferring isn't a guarantee either.
Not saying it's a guarantee or even definitely the smart choice, just that it's taking your future into your own hands rather than waiting on luck that may never come. You should be able to see where he's coming from.
srduck
Three Star Recruit

Post by srduck »

FWIW- Arroyo remains in contact with Yankoff. Note there will be a serious log jam at UW in the next couple of years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Alan
Senior

Post by Alan »

srduck wrote:FWIW- Arroyo remains in contact with Yankoff. Note there will be a serious log jam at UW in the next couple of years.

They will have to do something, like someone suggested maybe move a player to QB for reps.....
brich75
Senior

Post by brich75 »

Alan wrote:
srduck wrote:FWIW- Arroyo remains in contact with Yankoff. Note there will be a serious log jam at UW in the next couple of years.

They will have to do something, like someone suggested maybe move a player to QB for reps.....
Getting these big time receivers will help. Warren Thompson and the 2 that alledgedly could commit this week are elite receivers. Amy qb would want to throw to them.
Alan
Senior

Post by Alan »

Anyone know who played QB in high school that's on the roster?.........excluding our three current QB's :mrgreen:
duckfan22
Senior

Post by duckfan22 »

Alan wrote:Anyone know who played QB in high school that's on the roster?.........excluding our three current QB's :mrgreen:
Bruce Judson incoming freshman from Florida
Alan
Senior

Post by Alan »

duckfan22 wrote:
Alan wrote:Anyone know who played QB in high school that's on the roster?.........excluding our three current QB's :mrgreen:
Bruce Judson incoming freshman from Florida
Thanks, he'll no doubt get some reps and help out with the practice squad.
karlhungis
All Pac-12

Post by karlhungis »

Tray Dub wrote:
karlhungis wrote:
Tray Dub wrote:
Not saying it's a guarantee or even definitely the smart choice, just that it's taking your future into your own hands rather than waiting on luck that may never come. You should be able to see where he's coming from.
Of course I see where he is coming from. I don't agree with it but I understand it. I am more of the opinion that he was never guaranteed to be a starting D1 QB and he has already worked himself into the number 2 spot on a high profile team. He is one injury away from getting his chance to lead the team that he has worked with for years. I think that is a much better situation to be in than transferring to a community college and hoping to make a name for yourself on another team that you have no experience with a year later. I mean, the situation he is putting himself in has almost zero chance of paying off.
OregonFan4life -
My source just said Chip is officially back!
It will be announced at Autzen press conference tomorrow afternoon!
Greenblood
Senior

Post by Greenblood »

UOducksTK1 wrote:Makes sense. Wish Wilson would have stayed.
I wonder if Wilson now wishes he had stayed! . . .

This makes we concerned that the playbook will effectively get modified so that Herbert is less at risk. Also makes me wonder if they might take a flyer on a JUCO or FCS QB who could play in the fall for depth purposes.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

Taggart responded to his current QB situation after Jonsen's transfer in an interview with the Register-Guard. Basically says that while the current QB depth is not ideal, he likes the players he has because they're willing to work hard and compete.

http://registerguard.com/rg/sports/foot ... n.html.csp
Oregonian
Four Star Recruit

Post by Oregonian »

^Notably the author of that article is the only one making mention to Taylor Alie, no direct quote from Taggart - who does mention Judson and a theoretical walk-on, however.

Also, I think it's safe to say that any notion of Burmeister redshirting in 2017 is off the table now.