Are we underestimating Taylor Alie?

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

rockthief
Senior

Are we underestimating Taylor Alie?

Post by rockthief »

He only weighs 180 which is small considering his height. But he has good hands and we sure know he has wheels. So is he an able backup or not?
oregontrack
All Pac-12

Re: Are we underestimating Taylor Alie?

Post by oregontrack »

i wouldn't like our chances against any good team on our schedule. he did help beat colorado in 2015 so i don't think he's completely useless, but i don't think he's anywhere close to a plug-n-play option. if we have a lead and need to milk it and he's forced into emergency service i wouldn't ask him to do anything but hand off and run a little option. if we had him running option the alamo bowl we win that game going away simply because tcu would run out of time.
ImageImageImageImageImage
karlhungis
All Pac-12

Post by karlhungis »

We have seen what he brings to the table as a backup and it isn't confidence inspiring.
OregonFan4life -
My source just said Chip is officially back!
It will be announced at Autzen press conference tomorrow afternoon!
pudgejeff
Senior
GM: Sacramento Kings GM

Post by pudgejeff »

I think he was asking in reference to him at receiver.
OregonFan4Life
All-American

Post by OregonFan4Life »

Better than Lockie, but that's really not saying anything. He has wheels and like oregontrack said, that can be serviceable in nightmare situations against average teams if Oregon has a decent lead.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
karlhungis
All Pac-12

Post by karlhungis »

pudgejeff wrote:I think he was asking in reference to him at receiver.
Ah, that explains the "hands" statement. I figured he was getting back in the mix at QB due to our lack of depth and that is what brought about the conversation.
OregonFan4life -
My source just said Chip is officially back!
It will be announced at Autzen press conference tomorrow afternoon!
GrandpaDuck
Senior

Post by GrandpaDuck »

Very unlikely he plays anything but QB this year. He'll be needed for practice if nothing else but likely will be a travel squad QB and the emergency 2nd team QB if they just need someone to take a couple of snaps while Hebert rubs some dirt on it and walks off a concussion and broken leg.
nogerO
Senior

Post by nogerO »

[quote="GrandpaDuck"]Very unlikely he plays anything but QB this year. He'll be needed for practice if nothing else but likely will be a travel squad QB and the emergency 2nd team QB if they just need someone to take a couple of snaps while Hebert rubs some dirt on it and walks off a concussion and broken leg.[/quote]

This made me spew pepsi out my nostrils! LOL
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice the gift." - Steve Prefontaine
Alan
Senior

Post by Alan »

GrandpaDuck wrote:Very unlikely he plays anything but QB this year. He'll be needed for practice if nothing else but likely will be a travel squad QB and the emergency 2nd team QB if they just need someone to take a couple of snaps while Hebert rubs some dirt on it and walks off a concussion and broken leg.
I agree, Alie could very well end up in the number two spot in hopes of still red shirting Braxton. But if Herbert goes down enter Braxton and they'll burn the redshirt.. unless Judson is good enough he warrants field time as a true freshman somewhere....then we may see Judson taking some of the snaps along with Alie.

Alie had some flashes in that nightmare season...... not many but some, but that was two years ago. I hope we don't have to find out how he's developed. But I like Alie, fan of the underdog.
Thurston
Two Star Recruit

Post by Thurston »

GrandpaDuck wrote:Very unlikely he plays anything but QB this year. He'll be needed for practice if nothing else but likely will be a travel squad QB and the emergency 2nd team QB if they just need someone to take a couple of snaps while Hebert rubs some dirt on it and walks off a concussion and broken leg.
Absolutely this, assuming they do attempt to redshirt Burmeister.

Question, how quickly did Taggert play at South Florida? My biggest beef last year with Helf was that he still wanted to go at warp speed despite the fact that slowing things down and chewing some clock would protect that defense. If we're able to control tempo and clock this season (assuming Taggert isn't all about speed, speed, speed) not only could we protect the defense, we would be limiting the hits Herbert is forced to take.
duckfan22
Senior

Post by duckfan22 »

Willie has stated they are going to play fast and be physical. They played pretty fast during
spring game..not blazing but they got the line ready to go..
GoDucksIn09
Senior

Post by GoDucksIn09 »

I like the kid.. but if he is what have to play at qb we are in serious trouble
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

Alie would be great as a starter for Portland St, but he not a QB you even want in the depth chart at UO.
polyduck
Four Star Recruit

Post by polyduck »

buckmarkduck wrote:Alie would be great as a starter for Portland St, but he not a QB you even want in the depth chart at UO.
Hey BMD.....I'd take Allie at Portland St in a heart beat...lol! My nephew just accepted a full ride to play LB for the Vikings.

Go Ducks! Go Viks!
rockthief
Senior

Post by rockthief »

I am thinking Taggert has plans for Alie. It's just a thought I have about using him in the fly sweep and the end-around. I enjoy watching that 87 yard run of his, the fifth longest run in Oregon football history, one yard less than Stewart and one yard more than Mariota. Kid is in good company. He has been good for the team.