Pac-12 Media Poll: Oregon Picked 4th in the North

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

Phenom
All Pac-12

Post by Phenom »

http://www.oregonlive.com/ducks/index.s ... th_in.html

We did get a 1st place vote, though. I like it. I would rather us go in underrated and with something to prove.
justducky0
Senior

Re: Pac-12 Media Poll: Oregon Picked 4th in the North

Post by justducky0 »

Herberts arms look a little bigger! Still has that baby face though.
Greenblood
Senior

Post by Greenblood »

It's notable to me how the national media seem more bullish on the Ducks this year than the conference media. At least a couple "way too early" top 25s from months ago had them on their list, and Phil Steele has them at #23 in his preseason list.

Weird to think that a fourth place finish in the North could actually show acceptable improvement for the Ducks over last year, at least if a team such as WSU is good. I mean, such a finish in the North sounds awfully disappointing from our current vantage point, but who knows what we'll think at the end of the season.
justducky0
Senior

Post by justducky0 »

I honestly think the floor is 8-4 this season. I think this team surprises some people.
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

So this is a good time perhaps to bring up our "ceiling" for the season. Is reaching the P12 title game out of our reach or completely within it?

I'm of the mindset that we have the ability on the ground to be as dominant perhaps as we've ever been which means we should have a chance against anyone if we can get moderate improvement from our defense. Teams haven't seen our new offense and I'm sure things will only keep being added as players get more comfortable.
duckfan22
Senior

Post by duckfan22 »

Duck07 wrote:So this is a good time perhaps to bring up our "ceiling" for the season. Is reaching the P12 title game out of our reach or completely within it?

I'm of the mindset that we have the ability on the ground to be as dominant perhaps as we've ever been which means we should have a chance against anyone if we can get moderate improvement from our defense. Teams haven't seen our new offense and I'm sure things will only keep being added as players get more comfortable.
Agree...our season really hinges on if the defense can improve on the
disaster of the last couple of years. I think our run game will run all over teams
and Justin has the talent to throw the ball. We have to have some new receivers step up.
I think we can contend in the north if we can stay healthy and the d comes through.
TualatinDuck
Senior

Post by TualatinDuck »

I dont think offense will be an issue. Defense on the other hand, wait and see.

Honestly its my opinion that the team goes 9-3 or 10-2. I dont think the Pac 12 title game is in play unless they get help from other teams by losing. Specifically Washington and Stanford.
"And I can be the warrior for those who are frail and weak,
And I can be the compass for those that search and seek." ~Lem Absher
lukeyrid13
All-American
GM: Portland TrailBlazers

Post by lukeyrid13 »

I think so much of our season will depend upon depth and injuries. If Herbert goes down, then we will look like we did at the end of the 07 season. WR depth is also a concern. Tons of question marks at LB and we have good players on the D-Line but do we have enough decent players and will any of them become really good/great.

If everything falls into place then I think 10-2 could happen but if our front 7 doesn't improve and our receivers don't step up then 6-6 wouldn't be out of the question.
Alan
Senior

Post by Alan »

TualatinDuck wrote:I dont think offense will be an issue. Defense on the other hand, wait and see.

Honestly its my opinion that the team goes 9-3 or 10-2. I dont think the Pac 12 title game is in play unless they get help from other teams by losing. Specifically Washington and Stanford.
First imo, the team goes 8-4, no PAC 12 title game but a decent bowl game. The defense will be be better for the simple fact, Leavitt>Hoke, Leavitt>DP. Not saying how good but they will be improved.
duckfan22
Senior

Post by duckfan22 »

To me it will be intersting to see if Willie holds the defensive accountable
if there is no improvement and our D is getting torched. He has said the players
and coaches are all accountable.
But i do feel there will be improvement. Will there be enough to make a difference in
wins ? I hope they start playing well from the very start. Give them the confidence to improve.
Defense i believe will be the difference between a 10-2 team and a 7-5 team or worse.
UofDuck
Senior

Post by UofDuck »

Put in another way; defense rankings move from 120 to:

90+ = 7 wins
75+ = 8 wins
65+ = 9
Top 50 = 10 wins
Top 30 = 11 or 12 wins
nogerO
Senior

Post by nogerO »

I would be happy with 7-5 and ecstatic with 9-3 and a good bowl game win or lose in Tag's first season.
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice the gift." - Steve Prefontaine
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

I really want to see us beat the poodles and win a tiebreaker over Stanford for the North at 11-1.

Bud Lee
All Pac-12

Post by Bud Lee »

Southern Utah - Win
Nebraska - win
@ Wyoming - win
@ Arizona State - Win
California - win
Washington State - loss
@ Stanford - loss
@ UCLA - loss
Utah - win
@ Washington loss
Arizona - win
Little brother - win

8-4 is my guess but I can see 10-2 which would be a BIG turnaround from last year
Merganzer
Senior

Post by Merganzer »

Bud Lee wrote:Southern Utah - Win
Nebraska - win
@ Wyoming - win
@ Arizona State - Win
California - win
Washington State - loss
@ Stanford - loss
@ UCLA - loss
Utah - win
@ Washington loss
Arizona - win
Little brother - win

8-4 is my guess but I can see 10-2 which would be a BIG turnaround from last year
Those all look good to me, and UCLA was a dumpster fire last season, and playing @ UCLA has not been a big advantage for them against the Ducks, so that could be a W. The Cougs are another one, been a long time since they've beaten the Ducks 3 years in a row.