Duck24
Senior

Re: Back to form

Post by Duck24 »

buckmarkduck wrote:
Duckenstein wrote:
mdm0302 wrote:
nogerO wrote:
StevensTechU wrote:Year 1- Be competitive. Make a bowl game.
Year 2- Win 2 more games than year 1.
Year 3- Compete for the Pac-12 crown.

I think this is the mantra we all should adopt ^^^
i think this is crazy. We are competing for the Pac12 this year.
This looks like a team that will compete for the P12 championship?

I'll be satisfied with 6 wins and a bowl game with visible improvement on defense.

I think you might be underestimating how far down helfrich and pellum dragged this team down because of recruiting excitement

One injury away from a true freshman as the only qb on the roster

Depleted wr corps nearly all under 6'

Worst defense in CFB last year

Likely 10 true freshman will be forced to play significant minutes

At least 10 scholarships going unused this year

New coaching staff and scheme.

Only 2 scholarship tes

LB corps is still garbage outside of dye

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
You forgot too RBs group in the PAC 12, and a top 3 OL. UO will lead the confrence in rushing this year, Royce WILL hit 1600+ yds and 18 TDs, and James will hit 1100 total yds. Schooler will go for 900 yds, Chuck 1000 total yds and 13 TDs. Our O will be back to averaging over 520yds and 41 Pts a game, all the negativity in the world won't change that.
I'll bet you avatar/signature pictures for a year that 2 or fewer of those predictions come true.
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

What outlandish stat did I say? James hat almost 1000 total yds last year on 120 total touches. Our O just about had those numbers last year with a true Fr QB and 4 fr OL. Royce has had more than 1600yds in a year already once. The only thing
I said that could be off, is about Schooler, who's still a big unknown.
pezsez1
All Pac-12

Post by pezsez1 »

Oregon's offense will be loaded, as usual. Dangerously thin at QB, but loaded. That gives us a puncher's chance to beat anyone as long as we stay healthy.

Our defense only needs to be slightly better for next season to be a significant improvement over last year.

That, and the coaches need to keep these guys on the rails if they lose a couple close games early.

An eight- or nine-win season seems most likely, but I'm not going to enter this season thinking the Pac-12 title game is beyond reach.
Last edited by pezsez1 on Mon Aug 07, 2017 3:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Willie Taggart is a dick.
Duck24
Senior

Post by Duck24 »

buckmarkduck wrote:What outlandish stat did I say? James hat almost 1000 total yds last year on 120 total touches. Our O just about had those numbers last year with a true Fr QB and 4 fr OL. Royce has had more than 1600yds in a year already once. The only thing
There's just a lot of yardage being thrown out there. TBJ approached 1,000 total yards with Royce being banged up most of the year. If Royce is healthy and goes for 1,600/18TD's, how much is really left for TBJ in terms of scrimmage yards? Then expecting Chuck and Schooler to both clear 900 yards receiving (assuming Chuck would get a few hundred yards rushing)? When was the last time Oregon had two WR clear 900 yards receiving? Hell, has a team every had a 1,500+ yard rusher, another 1,000 APY RB and two 900+ yard WR in the same season? Trust me, I'd love to eat crow but this seems quite optimistic.
alabamaduck
Four Star Recruit

Post by alabamaduck »

Duck24 wrote:
buckmarkduck wrote:What outlandish stat did I say? James hat almost 1000 total yds last year on 120 total touches. Our O just about had those numbers last year with a true Fr QB and 4 fr OL. Royce has had more than 1600yds in a year already once. The only thing
There's just a lot of yardage being thrown out there. TBJ approached 1,000 total yards with Royce being banged up most of the year. If Royce is healthy and goes for 1,600/18TD's, how much is really left for TBJ in terms of scrimmage yards? Then expecting Chuck and Schooler to both clear 900 yards receiving (assuming Chuck would get a few hundred yards rushing)? When was the last time Oregon had two WR clear 900 yards receiving? Hell, has a team every had a 1,500+ yard rusher, another 1,000 APY RB and two 900+ yard WR in the same season? Trust me, I'd love to eat crow but this seems quite optimistic.
Maybe he's including return yards?
Duckenstein
Freshman

Post by Duckenstein »

gogreen55 wrote:
Duckenstein wrote:This looks like a team that will compete for the P12 championship?
It is that time of the year. Optimism always abounds before the season begins, including before last season.

If the Ducks look like a team that is giving maximum effort, start to establish some semblance of competency on the defensive side of the ball and make a bowl game, that will be a good enough first season of the Taggart Era in my eyes.
Agreed

Duckenstein
Freshman

Post by Duckenstein »

buckmarkduck wrote:
Duckenstein wrote:
mdm0302 wrote:
nogerO wrote:
StevensTechU wrote:Year 1- Be competitive. Make a bowl game.
Year 2- Win 2 more games than year 1.
Year 3- Compete for the Pac-12 crown.

I think this is the mantra we all should adopt ^^^
i think this is crazy. We are competing for the Pac12 this year.
This looks like a team that will compete for the P12 championship?

I'll be satisfied with 6 wins and a bowl game with visible improvement on defense.

I think you might be underestimating how far down helfrich and pellum dragged this team down because of recruiting excitement

One injury away from a true freshman as the only qb on the roster

Depleted wr corps nearly all under 6'

Worst defense in CFB last year

Likely 10 true freshman will be forced to play significant minutes

At least 10 scholarships going unused this year

New coaching staff and scheme.

Only 2 scholarship tes

LB corps is still garbage outside of dye

You forgot too RBs group in the PAC 12, and a top 3 OL. UO will lead the confrence in rushing this year, Royce WILL hit 1600+ yds and 18 TDs, and James will hit 1100 total yds. Schooler will go for 900 yds, Chuck 1000 total yds and 13 TDs. Our O will be back to averaging over 520yds and 41 Pts a game, all the negativity in the world won't change that.
There's plenty of Hope for this squad, but I'd be really surprised to see them win the p12

Dominoes would have to fall perfectly

2018 it's a different story. More depth all around and a year in the saddle behind them

Duckenstein
Freshman

Post by Duckenstein »

UofDuck wrote:As does pessimism, apparently.
No pessimism here

Like I said, I'll be satisfied if the ship turns around.

I don't expect the new staff to have a team that is chip Kelly level this year. There are lots of issues, depth being the biggest imo

buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

I'm not saying this team wins the confrence, but if Herbert is healthy I see 8 wins.
StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Post by StevensTechU »

The lack of pass catching targets is really, really concerning. Even in the Chip days, we had Ed Dickson, the Maehl man, and NFL-bound Drew Davis. This year we have a whole bunch of guys who won't get much separation, so Herbie is going to need to throw them open, and sometimes that's a recipe for picks.

Flip side, I could see our run game being close to unstoppable. I don't know if Taggartt uses 2-back sets much, but the thought of Royce and TBJ/Taj playing on the same field should scare opponents.
Phenom
All Pac-12

Post by Phenom »

StevensTechU wrote:The lack of pass catching targets is really, really concerning. Even in the Chip days, we had Ed Dickson, the Maehl man, and NFL-bound Drew Davis. This year we have a whole bunch of guys who won't get much separation, so Herbie is going to need to throw them open, and sometimes that's a recipe for picks.

Flip side, I could see our run game being close to unstoppable. I don't know if Taggartt uses 2-back sets much, but the thought of Royce and TBJ/Taj playing on the same field should scare opponents.
Drew Davis...common man...Our WRs during the Pflugrad era weren't very good.
pezsez1
All Pac-12

Post by pezsez1 »

I'm pretty confident that our receivers will be dangerous. Yes, they're inexperienced, but we're going to have speed all over the field. Having what might be the Pac-12's most beastly rushing attack would also help receivers get open.

Also, isn't Taggart somewhat Chip-like in that his offense uses lots of short plays that eventually explode for big gains? I feel like that's partly why Chip was often successful despite never honestly having all-world talent at the receiver positions.
Willie Taggart is a dick.
FlDuckFan
All Pac-12
GM: Orlando Magic GM

Post by FlDuckFan »

Phenom wrote:
StevensTechU wrote:The lack of pass catching targets is really, really concerning. Even in the Chip days, we had Ed Dickson, the Maehl man, and NFL-bound Drew Davis. This year we have a whole bunch of guys who won't get much separation, so Herbie is going to need to throw them open, and sometimes that's a recipe for picks.

Drew Davis...common man...Our WRs during the Pflugrad era weren't very good.
Don't hate on Drew, that guy could block.
rsbgduck
Four Star Recruit

Post by rsbgduck »

Not contradicting you because I agree. The hope is, at least for me is that with a very strong running attach it will help offset are short comings at WR's normally using size and speed to get separation. When you have a scary running attack play action is priceless tool/weapon to have. Like others have said it is depth at key positions and the defense. IMO if our D improves 20-30 spots in overall rankings that will translate to 8-9 wins. If it improves to a top 50 ranked overall defense and a 10 win season but lose the tie breaker to the Puppy's or Trees for the North title. No matter how much our D improves I don't think it will be good enough to consistently stop the Offenses in the PAC-12 so getting TO's will be extremely important for a successful season, more so than the usual coaches talk. Last year our O wasn't the problem, yes it could of been more consistent and our OL allowed to much pressure to be placed on the QB. I am a team guy and hate to put the fault on one side of the ball at the same time I just can't ignore how bad the D was last year, you add to that the squabbling and egos between coaches last year, the team didn't stand a chance. With all that said I realistically see the Ducks at 8-4/9-3 and being happy about it moving forward. Now if we stay healthy, the D makes big improvements and a few balls bouncing our way 10 wins is not out of reach and I would celebrate like we won the PAC-12 Championship. The thing is a lot of teams are in the same spot and have the same "ifs".

Go Ducks !
gogreen55
Senior

Post by gogreen55 »

If Dillon Mitchell and Charles Nelson stay healthy, I think those are two good receiving targets for just about any team. They are certainly not lacking in athleticism, so if they fail to get separation it is more of a technique and/or play calling failure than a talent/ability issue.

Jacob Breeland needs to stay healthy (notice the theme here?) in order to provide Herbert with a reliable, bigger target he can go to. From what I have seen and heard, there is reason to be optimistic that he will fill that role well.

Freeman and Tony Brooks-James are both reliable checkdown targets.

I think the above guys are the ones you can count on with a reasonable degree of certainty. It isn't like Herbert is left with a completely bare cupboard in the passing game.

Beyond that is all question marks. You can't count on anything from Alex Ofodile since he is never healthy. I have no idea how much Malik Lovette and Taj Griffin will contribute....same with the freshmen. Then there is the wild card, Brenden Schooler. It is a shame he didn't get a full Spring at receiver to make this transition easier. Knowing the playbook, blocking technique, route running technique, you name it.....he has a ton of ground to make up. The perfect compliment to Mitchell and Nelson would be a big receiver that is a great blocker, while still having enough speed to burn the defense deep when they set up the fake screen and go routes. This third receiver doesn't need to put up huge stats and be a spotlight player. On paper, Schooler seems to have the physical tools necessary to give himself a shot at filling that role in an adequate manner, but how quickly (if ever) he gets there is still a huge question mark.