Schooler to WR?

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

Duckenstein
Freshman

Re: Schooler to WR?

Post by Duckenstein »

StevensTechU wrote:
lukeyrid13 wrote:Breeze was already ahead of Schooler based on the leaked depth chart.
That depth chart considered who had been practicing. Obviously, Schooler hadn't been.
Schooler was a bright spot last year but there are plenty of more talented young guys to step up at S. They'll pass him eventually anyways

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
dd10snoop28
Senior
GM: New Jersey Nets GM

Post by dd10snoop28 »

GrandpaDuck wrote:Schooler at his worse was vastly superior to the 3 returning vets they have in the safety 2 deep thus far. Schooler had more interceptions than all of them combined and had at least 20 touchdown saving tackles. How many does anyone remember Robinson, Williams and Oliver making?

Every year Robinson looks like Ed Reed in training camp, starts at Safety and is exposed as Casper the Friendly Safety when the season begins. He's not a bad Corner as he can cover a man and area but has shown no play anticipation or nose for the ball from the Safety position. Is that going to change between his Junior and Senior years?

I will gladly eat crow on this, particularly as I have expressed confidence in Leavitt and have predicted a huge improvement in defense. But
even if Schooler goes on the be an All-Pac10 receiver (not predicting this) but the 3 other returning Safeties play like did they last year, I would call the position swap a mistake.

Agree with this all the way. On point.
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

Nelson and Schooler are our two best returning Safeties, lol.

In all seriousness though, I think Nelson should be playing Safety if he wants to play in the NFL or else he needs to have a monster season as a WR and returner/gunner.
gogreen55
Senior

Post by gogreen55 »

Nelson is too small to play safety in the NFL. He is likely just too small for the NFL, period. I know there are other small guys that have made it, but I don't see much of a future for him playing on Sundays.
Alan
Senior

Post by Alan »

gogreen55 wrote:Nelson is too small to play safety in the NFL. He is likely just too small for the NFL, period. I know there are other small guys that have made it, but I don't see much of a future for him playing on Sundays.
X2, too small but hope I'm wrong and he gets a chance.
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

Alan wrote:
gogreen55 wrote:Nelson is too small to play safety in the NFL. He is likely just too small for the NFL, period. I know there are other small guys that have made it, but I don't see much of a future for him playing on Sundays.
No he isn't. Budda Baker, Honey Badger, Earl Thomas are all midget safeties that have a nose for the ball. Now while they are all high draft picks, it was clear from the first special teams tackle he made that he was on the wrong side of the ball. Chances are he gets invited to a camp and cut or makes the practice squad but I'd say his chances of sticking are greater on defense than they are on offense. He's made it known he wants to play offense though.
gogreen55
Senior

Post by gogreen55 »

Duck07 wrote:No he isn't. Budda Baker, Honey Badger, Earl Thomas are all midget safeties that have a nose for the ball. Now while they are all high draft picks, it was clear from the first special teams tackle he made that he was on the wrong side of the ball. Chances are he gets invited to a camp and cut or makes the practice squad but I'd say his chances of sticking are greater on defense than they are on offense. He's made it known he wants to play offense though.
1. Each of the guys you listed is technically bigger than Nelson. Charles is 5'8", 170 pounds. There is simply no chance he is going to play safety in the NFL.

2. Nelson wasn't anything special as a safety. He was a decent, woefully undersized safety that looked ok compared to the horrible other options the Ducks had at the time.
lukeyrid13
All-American
GM: Portland TrailBlazers

Post by lukeyrid13 »

dd10snoop28 wrote:
GrandpaDuck wrote:Schooler at his worse was vastly superior to the 3 returning vets they have in the safety 2 deep thus far. Schooler had more interceptions than all of them combined and had at least 20 touchdown saving tackles. How many does anyone remember Robinson, Williams and Oliver making?

Every year Robinson looks like Ed Reed in training camp, starts at Safety and is exposed as Casper the Friendly Safety when the season begins. He's not a bad Corner as he can cover a man and area but has shown no play anticipation or nose for the ball from the Safety position. Is that going to change between his Junior and Senior years?

I will gladly eat crow on this, particularly as I have expressed confidence in Leavitt and have predicted a huge improvement in defense. But
even if Schooler goes on the be an All-Pac10 receiver (not predicting this) but the 3 other returning Safeties play like did they last year, I would call the position swap a mistake.

I disagree. Robinson has some of the best hips of any DB we have ever had.
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

Duck07 wrote:
Alan wrote:
No he isn't. Budda Baker, Honey Badger, Earl Thomas are all midget safeties that have a nose for the ball. Now while they are all high draft picks, it was clear from the first special teams tackle he made that he was on the wrong side of the ball. Chances are he gets invited to a camp and cut or makes the practice squad but I'd say his chances of sticking are greater on defense than they are on offense. He's made it known he wants to play offense though.
They all have 20lbs on him. He's lucky if he's 170.
GrandpaDuck
Senior

Post by GrandpaDuck »

lukeyrid13 wrote:
dd10snoop28 wrote:

Maybe those quick matador hips were what he used to make sure no ball carrier ever made direct contact on him.

Again, he was an acceptable Corner particularly compared to the other options. But I suspect if a player dropped dead on the 50 yard line and they didn't remove his body, he'd rack up more tackles than Robinson did when he played Safety the last two years.
Duck24
Senior

Post by Duck24 »

buckmarkduck wrote:
Duck07 wrote:
Alan wrote:
Bob Sanders says "howdy!"
gogreen55
Senior

Post by gogreen55 »

I question how hard Tyree works in the weight room. The dude is 6'3" and a redshirt senior playing a physical position (supposed to be at least) on defense....how in the hell is he still below 200 pounds? With all the free food, shakes, supplements, world class weight training facilities, etc. these guys have at their disposal, a 6'3" dude with his frame at his position would almost have to purposefully try to stay below 200 pounds. I hope he goes out with a bang and has a great year so I can remember him by something other than being one of the softest players I have ever seen.
gogreen55
Senior

Post by gogreen55 »

Duck24 wrote:Bob Sanders says "howdy!"
Bob Sanders is another good example of "small" guy that was still much bigger than Nelson.

Bob Sanders weighed in at 204 pounds at the NFL Combine, meaning he had 34 pounds on Nelson.
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Post by UOducksTK1 »

lukeyrid13 wrote:
dd10snoop28 wrote:

This is true. Robinson might have the best hips in Oregon history.

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

Duck24 wrote:
buckmarkduck wrote:
Duck07 wrote:
Alan wrote:
Bob Sanders says "howdy!"

Do you even know who Bob Sanders is? Bob Snaders was ripped and looked like a muscle hamster at 5'8 205. Chuck is a string bean compared him.