Jerry Allen

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

Quietduck
Four Star Recruit

Jerry Allen

Post by Quietduck »

Did anyone in the area hear his report on the Portland sports talk? Yes, I know Jerry is a homer and I know he puts on Duck glasses when he gets up in the morning. He was saying that some of the people covering the work outs were calling Herbert, Marcus 2.0. Not the coaches, not the players just the people covering the camp. I can only hope they are right.
pudgejeff
Senior
GM: Sacramento Kings GM

Re: Jerry Allen

Post by pudgejeff »

Quietduck wrote:Did anyone in the area hear his report on the Portland sports talk? Yes, I know Jerry is a homer and I know he puts on Duck glasses when he gets up in the morning. He was saying that some of the people covering the work outs were calling Herbert, Marcus 2.0. Not the coaches, not the players just the people covering the camp. I can only hope they are right.
Such an overused cliche. Comparing players to former players of their team or someone they look like. I'd like to see him compared to some one of his playstyle/size/arm strength/athletic ability. Although, I really have a hard time thinking of an NFL QB like him. Not sure if that worries me lol
StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Post by StevensTechU »

pudgejeff wrote:
Quietduck wrote:Did anyone in the area hear his report on the Portland sports talk? Yes, I know Jerry is a homer and I know he puts on Duck glasses when he gets up in the morning. He was saying that some of the people covering the work outs were calling Herbert, Marcus 2.0. Not the coaches, not the players just the people covering the camp. I can only hope they are right.
Such an overused cliche. Comparing players to former players of their team or someone they look like. I'd like to see him compared to some one of his playstyle/size/arm strength/athletic ability. Although, I really have a hard time thinking of an NFL QB like him. Not sure if that worries me lol
Paxton Lynch.

Herbert is still going to make some mistakes this year. He should be coming off a redshirt year. Even on Maroita's timeline, that would mean he'd be efficient but still the secondary weapon on the offense (Barner was the star during Mariota's RFr year).

I think he's going to be excellent, but I'd temper expectations.
nogerO
Senior

Post by nogerO »

Jerry Allen. :lol: :roll: :mrgreen:
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice the gift." - Steve Prefontaine
Alan
Senior

Post by Alan »

I heard it, glad 750 replaced the moron who had that time slot. Jerry said "this time line" meaning Herbert's second year compared to Mariota, he also said Herbert doesn't have as quick of a first step Mariota has. I agree it's a stretch at this point, there is only one Marcus, but I think Herbert is a star in the making.
OregonFan4Life
All-American

Post by OregonFan4Life »

Herbert is Herbert and Mariota is Mariota. Mariota is our first Heisman and the best QB in Oregon history. Could Herbert also win the Heisman and become the best QB in Oregon history? Probably not but it's possible. But let's just leave it at that. It's not fair to compare Herbert to Mariota, cause anything less than Mariota in his career will be considered a disappointment even if he's great. Let's just leave it at Herbert is Herbert and Mariota is Mariota. I hate these comparisons.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
pudgejeff
Senior

Post by pudgejeff »

OregonFan4Life wrote:Herbert is Herbert and Mariota is Mariota. Mariota is our first Heisman and the best QB in Oregon history. Could Herbert also win the Heisman and become the best QB in Oregon history? Probably not but it's possible. But let's just leave it at that. It's not fair to compare Herbert to Mariota, cause anything less than Mariota in his career will be considered a disappointment even if he's great. Let's just leave it at Herbert is Herbert and Mariota is Mariota. I hate these comparisons.

I'm actually fine with a comparison that is saying best ever at Oregon. I just hate comparing apples to oranges when we're talking about apples, it's fine if we're talking about fruit.
rsbgduck
Four Star Recruit

Post by rsbgduck »

OregonFan4Life wrote:Herbert is Herbert and Mariota is Mariota. Mariota is our first Heisman and the best QB in Oregon history. Could Herbert also win the Heisman and become the best QB in Oregon history? Probably not but it's possible. But let's just leave it at that. It's not fair to compare Herbert to Mariota, cause anything less than Mariota in his career will be considered a disappointment even if he's great. Let's just leave it at Herbert is Herbert and Mariota is Mariota. I hate these comparisons.

Couldn't agree more. The idea is to set these young men up for success not failure both on the field and offf. I don't understand the thinking, judging one athletes performance on another's performance on a completely different team. To me it's just asinine, it's like worrying about something you have no control over or bitching about something you are not willing to take action to do something about, it's just a complete waist of energy only in this case it can completely destroy a young mans confidence which can affect his success both on and off the field. They are different people with different strengths and weaknesses. Let him go out and make his own name, wether that's great, average or poor will depend on him, the coaches and the players around him, not a fan, the media or sports science person.

Go Ducks !!!
mdm0302
Freshman

Post by mdm0302 »

If Herbie could break a couple records this might have a little more credibility. Like if he had the most passing yard in a single game in Oregon History, that might say something.
lukeyrid13
All-American
GM: Portland TrailBlazers

Post by lukeyrid13 »

Didn't he tie the passing yard record against Arizona State?
mdm0302
Freshman

Post by mdm0302 »

lukeyrid13 wrote:Didn't he tie the passing yard record against Arizona State?
Damn!!!! as a true freshman!?
Alan
Senior

Post by Alan »

Herbie? Oh please don't Herbert
lukeyrid13
All-American
GM: Portland TrailBlazers

Post by lukeyrid13 »

mdm0302 wrote:
Yep, just looked it up to make sure. 489 is the record that he and Musgrave share. Asu's defense was horribly bad though, they also gave up like 70 to Texas tech.
pudgejeff
Senior

Post by pudgejeff »

lukeyrid13 wrote:
mdm0302 wrote:
Yep, just looked it up to make sure. 489 is the record that he and Musgrave share. Asu's defense was horribly bad though, they also gave up like 70 to Texas tech.
6 TD passes also tied a record too I believe. lol
UofDuck
Senior

Post by UofDuck »

But its not a crazy comparison. He is bigger and has a bigger arm. He is not Marcus fast, but he is fast and very athletic. Very good basketball player. He has a calm demeanor like Marcus too. Its not crazy to think he could be very special. He had an amazing year for a true freshman.