Defensive improvement

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

buckmarkduck
All-American

Re: Defensive improvement

Post by buckmarkduck »

StevensTechU wrote:
ducks5ever wrote:This just proves that we need to recruit more LB's. Adrian Jackson is going to be good, and Cunningham has good upside (along with our Georgia commit?), but we're walking on thin ice at this position this year and next year (at this rate)
You left off Andrew Johnson, who perhaps has the most upside of any of the LB commits.

http://247sports.com/Player/Andrew-Johnson-46039756

Jonathon King is thickly built but very well ends up playing OLB, as well.
King will start from day 1, he's way underrated by duck fans. We literally haven't had a guy like him in decades.
StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Post by StevensTechU »

buckmarkduck wrote:
King will start from day 1, he's way underrated by duck fans. We literally haven't had a guy like him in decades.
Assuming he's an OLB, he could potentially take Moi's spot as he graduates. I think La'Mar Winston, Keith Simms, Bryson Young and Isaac Slade-Mautatia will be the leading candidates to get the spot, but it's not impossible to beat them out, I suppose.
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

It was shorts, but he was phenomenal at Saturday night lights.
ducks5ever
Four Star Recruit

Post by ducks5ever »

Thanks so much for providing some more information here, and sorry for taking this a little off topic.

That's awesome and encouraging. I know it's hard to bringing in talented LB's year in and year out since there are only so many out there. I remember fishduck doing an article on DL recruiting vs LB recruiting last year or the year before.
Greenblood
Senior

Post by Greenblood »

Yes, I think so.

This Cal game was simply a terrific defensive performance by the Ducks. Held Cal, a team averaging 5.1 ypp, to 3.3 (GoDucks site says 3.7) ypp (Duck D currently at #12 in the country at giving up 4.2 ypp). 7 sacks and numerous QB pressures beyond that. That kind of performance could get the Ducks a W on Saturday. But the Cougars have such a unique offense AND I'm afraid the Duck D will be much more apt to get tired if the offense can't move the ball effectively.
UofDuck
Senior

Post by UofDuck »

Wazzu’s D line is small and quick. I hope our hogs can lock them down.
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

UofDuck wrote:Wazzu’s D line is small and quick. I hope our hogs can lock them down.
USC could have honestly ran all day on WSU, but they outsmarted themselves and tried to make Darnold the hero. We won't have a choice but to line up and try and punch them right in the mouth and say stop us if you can Hercules.
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

Jelks playing the passing lanes on quick throws is graduate level work and we're going to need the DL to play lights out again at home. Did we even cause a single turnover on defense? I don't see that happening if we pressure and hit the QB like last night.
Phenom
All Pac-12

Post by Phenom »

Duck07 wrote:Jelks playing the passing lanes on quick throws is graduate level work and we're going to need the DL to play lights out again at home. Did we even cause a single turnover on defense? I don't see that happening if we pressure and hit the QB like last night.
We made them fumble once near their endzone.
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

Phenom wrote:
Duck07 wrote:Jelks playing the passing lanes on quick throws is graduate level work and we're going to need the DL to play lights out again at home. Did we even cause a single turnover on defense? I don't see that happening if we pressure and hit the QB like last night.
How could I forget the penalty that happened after the recovery. lol
chapelhillduck
Senior

Post by chapelhillduck »

Duck07 wrote:
Phenom wrote:
How could I forget the penalty that happened after the recovery. lol
Plus, I'm counting the Springs knock down as an interception so that's two turnovers :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Quietduck
Four Star Recruit

Post by Quietduck »

I know it's early and I could be tone deaf but I'm starting to hear the opening notes of duck song from the past..." Gang green in the back field"... I don't know if this defense can carry the tune but it seems closer than any we have had in the past decade.
woundedknees
All-American

Post by woundedknees »

Lost my "GANG GREEN" license plate frame (Mysterious how that just vanished), "GO BIG GREEN" one... Best I could come up with on short notice.

The boys on the line seem to have taken that to heart!
Autzen Stadium... Where great teams go to die...Hard!

Duckattack7
Five Star Recruit

Post by Duckattack7 »

I love the excitement we have and I know this defense is vastly improved but Cal's offense is straight garbage lol. I hope they prove me wrong this weekend as I can't stand Mike Leach.
Return Of the Quack!
woundedknees
All-American

Post by woundedknees »

Scuttle the Pirate Week!

Autzen Stadium... Where great teams go to die...Hard!