Defensive improvement

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

karlhungis
All Pac-12

Defensive improvement

Post by karlhungis »

I realize that the sample size is small but this is how we are doing this year as compared to where we finished last year. I think our new DC is absolutely earning his salary.

Wk3 Wk2 2016

Turnover Margin - 51st 26th (85th)
Scoring Defense - 59th 85th (126th)
Total Defense - 33rd 65th (126th)
Passing Defense - 44th 86th (113th)
Rushing Defense - 31st 43rd (121st)
Opponent 3rd Down Conversions - 9th 9th (122nd)
Interceptions - 3rd 3rd (81st)

Formatting sucks on this. I wish I could insert a table.
Last edited by karlhungis on Sun Sep 17, 2017 10:10 am, edited 5 times in total.
OregonFan4life -
My source just said Chip is officially back!
It will be announced at Autzen press conference tomorrow afternoon!
rockthief
Senior

Re: Defensive improvement

Post by rockthief »

Than ks for that. The D overall will improve over the season especially the pass D I think. Hopeful outlook is what I have.
GrantDuck
Senior

Post by GrantDuck »

Would be over the moon if we keep anything similar over the course of the season...
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

karlhungis wrote:I realize that the sample size is small but this is how we are doing this year as compared to where we finished last year. I think our new DC is absolutely earning his salary.

Turnover Margin - 26th (85th)
Scoring Defense - 85th (126th)
Total Defense - 65th (126th)
Passing Defense - 86th (113th)
Rushing Defense - 43rd (121st)
Opponent 3rd Down Conversions - 9th (122nd)
Interceptions - 3rd (81st) (We already have 6 and only had 9 the entire season last year)
Funny we dropped 3 INT the first 2 games also. Graham could have easily had 3 vs NU.
HomeSickDuck
Three Star Recruit

Post by HomeSickDuck »

Anyone know anything about the status of Oliver, Williams, Breeze and Robinson? Robinson left the locker room on crutches after the Neb game, but according to the Sunday practice report, he practiced and had an interception. So I'm assuming he's good?
nogerO
Senior

Post by nogerO »

karlhungis wrote:I realize that the sample size is small but this is how we are doing this year as compared to where we finished last year. I think our new DC is absolutely earning his salary.

Interceptions - 3rd (81st) (We already have 6 and only had 9 the entire season last year)
Out of curiosity, where do we rank on penalties?
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice the gift." - Steve Prefontaine
karlhungis
All Pac-12

Post by karlhungis »

nogerO wrote:

Out of curiosity, where do we rank on penalties?
126th. We finished last year at 125th.
OregonFan4life -
StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Post by StevensTechU »

HomeSickDuck wrote:Anyone know anything about the status of Oliver, Williams, Breeze and Robinson? Robinson left the locker room on crutches after the Neb game, but according to the Sunday practice report, he practiced and had an interception. So I'm assuming he's good?
Robinson is listed as the starter on this week's depth chart.
GrandpaDuck
Senior

Post by GrandpaDuck »

42nd in yards per play. That's a good one.

The main reason this years scoring defense (85th) is so much worse than total defense (65th) is the red-zone TDs yielded Percentage is 113th at 83%.

The Ducks also lack flexibility. the Ducks give up 1 point for every 13 yards gained on them. Top 10 defensive scoring teams usually give up a point for around every 20 yards gained. Every year almost all the top scoring defenses do well in the bend don't break ratio. And teams in the 110s and lower usually give up a point for every 12-14 yards. Explosion plays yielded and red-zone td% are highly correlated to this measure.
Duck4Ever
Three Star Recruit

Post by Duck4Ever »

Great post.
Groundswell
Four Star Recruit

Post by Groundswell »

Out of curiosity, I'd like to know where we stood after two games last year compared to two games this year in these same categories. I'd bet there is not a huge difference because our team didn't quit until after the Colorado game. And we went on a historically bad defensive run after that.
karlhungis
All Pac-12

Post by karlhungis »

ifuwant2 wrote:

Out of curiosity, I'd like to know where we stood after two games last year compared to two games this year in these same categories. I'd bet there is not a huge difference because our team didn't quit until after the Colorado game. And we went on a historically bad defensive run after that.
I didn't write it down last year but we were very bad from the get go. I remember looking and we were always at least in the 80's on everything and only got worse as the season went on. There were no positive signs at all on defense last year. It started bad and just got worse.
OregonFan4life -
UofDuck
Senior

Defensive improvement

Post by UofDuck »

I hate to beat a drum, but Breeze, Pagano, Young appear to be studs that are still coming. This D might really take a step up as it matures and get an injection of more studs.
GrandpaDuck
Senior

Post by GrandpaDuck »

ifuwant2 wrote:

You are right, last year we were slightly better on scoring defense and slightly worse than this year on yardage after 2 games. This thread maybe a week ahead of its time (hopefully). We are reversed as the hardest preseason game this year was game 2 and last year it was game 3.
Groundswell
Four Star Recruit

Post by Groundswell »

karlhungis wrote:
ifuwant2 wrote:

I didn't write it down last year but we were very bad from the get go. I remember looking and we were always at least in the 80's on everything and only got worse as the season went on. There were no positive signs at all on defense last year. It started bad and just got worse.
I'm interested because I was going through the box scores last night trying to figure out how we were doing comparatively. We've actually given up more points this year, by just one or two, and our total defense is only down about 27 yards per game. I know we have a better turnover margin this year, and I expect we're probably better on 3rd down, but it would be cool to see the numbers. Looks, like our pass defense is close to the same, but we've made a pretty dramatic improvement in run defense.
Last edited by Groundswell on Tue Sep 12, 2017 7:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.