Nelson's injury

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

Phenom
All Pac-12

Re: Nelson's injury

Post by Phenom »

dphi wrote:
duckduckgoose wrote:I hope they target Dillon Mitchell more in the coming games. He’s averaging around four catches a game but he seems to make the first defender miss just about every time. He is due to break one sooner or later.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Yeah, I love the first move he makes when he gets the ball, very unpredictable and he's going to turn some short passes into long gains.
Kind of reminds me of pre-injury Addison in that sense.
UofDuck
Senior

Post by UofDuck »

duckduckgoose wrote:I hope they target Dillon Mitchell more in the coming games. He’s averaging around four catches a game but he seems to make the first defender miss just about every time. He is due to break one sooner or later.

He really is crafty with the ball.
TheHypeIsReal
One Star Recruit

Post by TheHypeIsReal »

I hope he's back soon. If the Wyoming game is any indication, it is a big drop off to the number 2 spot. Griffin doesn't have Charles's knack for finding the soft spot in coverage and McNeal was just plain bad.
GrandpaDuck
Senior

Post by GrandpaDuck »

TheHypeIsReal wrote:I hope he's back soon. If the Wyoming game is any indication, it is a big drop off to the number 2 spot. Griffin doesn't have Charles's knack for finding the soft spot in coverage and McNeal was just plain bad.
Agreed, Nelson was Herbert's security blanket. A receiver that usually gets open over the middle, the easiest throw, is a QB's best friend. McNeal is a mystery, he looked so good in just a few days out of high school, in the spring game. I thought he would be good quicker than he has. Maybe next game.
rsbgduck
Four Star Recruit

Post by rsbgduck »

I think they plan on doing this anyways but if Nelson is out for any amount of time plan on the TE playing a big role in the passing game. Like someone said, on time over the middle passes are a QB's best friend, plus with the quick bubble screens to the outside a D will have a choice to make, defend the perimeter or the middle. USC and the Poodles are the only teams I see with the speed at LB to really be able to consistently cover the entire field like that. IMO of course, I also haven't been able to watch every PAC-12 team yet this year.
Nelson is the go to third down WR with great hands (as a WR not punt return guy) who can also stretch the field which is why he is so effective when it's 3ed and short or 10, you can't just crowd him at the LOS, teams have to respect his abilities to beat you deep. This is why Wyoming was giving him a 10-15yrds cushion regardless of the down and distance. Should be a huge lose to the team and Herbert if he's out for any amount of time. A positive is we have a TE who caught everything thrown his way with a club on one hand that can help fill that dependability/trust lost with Nelson being out. I've said it before, the last couple years the TE position has been underutilized in the passing game. I understand we have been thin and are thin at the position and last year with a young Oline needing to keep him in to help with blocking, I don't think 5-6 designated plays is to much considering how much it opens up the field. Sorry kinda got off topic.
duckfan22
Senior

Post by duckfan22 »

rsbgduck wrote:I think they plan on doing this anyways but if Nelson is out for any amount of time plan on the TE playing a big role in the passing game. Like someone said, on time over the middle passes are a QB's best friend, plus with the quick bubble screens to the outside a D will have a choice to make, defend the perimeter or the middle. USC and the Poodles are the only teams I see with the speed at LB to really be able to consistently cover the entire field like that. IMO of course, I also haven't been able to watch every PAC-12 team yet this year.
Nelson is the go to third down WR with great hands (as a WR not punt return guy) who can also stretch the field which is why he is so effective when it's 3ed and short or 10, you can't just crowd him at the LOS, teams have to respect his abilities to beat you deep. This is why Wyoming was giving him a 10-15yrds cushion regardless of the down and distance. Should be a huge lose to the team and Herbert if he's out for any amount of time. A positive is we have a TE who caught everything thrown his way with a club on one hand that can help fill that dependability/trust lost with Nelson being out. I've said it before, the last couple years the TE position has been underutilized in the passing game. I understand we have been thin and are thin at the position and last year with a young Oline needing to keep him in to help with blocking, I don't think 5-6 designated plays is to much considering how much it opens up the field. Sorry kinda got off topic.
If Nelson is out for awhile the TE is a good option but they will have to have others
because teams will adjust their coverages accordingly. Over the years weve seen games where
the TE was used a lot and the next game not at all. Ck was asked once why and he said the
other teams defense put a safety on him and took that away. Used the TE as a decoy.
Greenblood
Senior

Post by Greenblood »

UofDuck wrote:

He really is crafty with the ball.
Yes. He just needs to remember to keep the ball with him.
rsbgduck
Four Star Recruit

Post by rsbgduck »

duckfan22 wrote:
rsbgduck wrote:I think they plan on doing this anyways but if Nelson is out for any amount of time plan on the TE playing a big role in the passing game. Like someone said, on time over the middle passes are a QB's best friend, plus with the quick bubble screens to the outside a D will have a choice to make, defend the perimeter or the middle. USC and the Poodles are the only teams I see with the speed at LB to really be able to consistently cover the entire field like that. IMO of course, I also haven't been able to watch every PAC-12 team yet this year.
If Nelson is out for awhile the TE is a good option but they will have to have others
because teams will adjust their coverages accordingly. Over the years weve seen games where
the TE was used a lot and the next game not at all. Ck was asked once why and he said the
other teams defense put a safety on him and took that away. Used the TE as a decoy.
Agreed, I guess my point was it would take pressure off of our young WR core. Also by going to the TE more it can bring more defenders in the middle and can affect the run game, by still continuing tho throw the quick bubble screens and more jet sweeps it can help keep defenses honest.