#11 WSU @ Oregon (Oct. 7, Sat 5 PM FOX)

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

lukeyrid13
All-American
GM: Portland TrailBlazers

Re: #11 WSU @ Oregon (Oct. 7, Sat 5 PM FOX)

Post by lukeyrid13 »

buckmarkduck wrote:It's funny, you can tell who's been a duck for longer than 2010. Chip for all his greatness, wouldn't have gotten much more out of this O today. Our WR are down to a bunch of Fr, and the OL had all kinds of trouble against that DL.
You could argue our offense tonight was better than the Boise game in 09.

I think our play calling was decent overall. We kept it simple for BB and had him stretch the field with a lot of we screens and just tried to get him to read numbers. It's when we ran into their line on obvious running down that stalled us the most. BB still made poor reads but they didn't overwhelm him at least.
lukeyrid13
All-American
GM: Portland TrailBlazers

Post by lukeyrid13 »

Also, the designed QB draw that we ran several times was a block away from Braxton busting a really long run.

I'm curious what a more experienced football eye would think about our o-line switching from zone blocking to power man blocking scheme. I think we are seeing some growing pains in that department still.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

Willie Taggart post-game interview:

Lemieux, Freeman, & Hanson post-game interview:

Breeland, Jelks, & Griffin post-game interview:

Benoit, Robinson, & Dye post-game interview:
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

Based on several of the comments from the post-game interviews, it seems some of the confusion at the line was due to Burmeister being too quiet on his cadence.
BlackbirdDuck
One Star Recruit

Post by BlackbirdDuck »

pezsez1 wrote:
Judging Willie Taggart off of this game is complete BS.
I'm not judging Taggart off of just this game. And I'm not even saying he's the wrong guy for the job. He is great with recruiting, and he assembled amazing assistance. He seems to be a fantastic CEO, and that's what a college football coach essentially is. I'm just not sure he's a good enough offensive playcaller for the Pac-12. That's not just based on this game or the ASU game -- that's based on virtually all of our games except for Southern Utah. Even when we've been completely healthy, Taggart has shown some very conservative coaching tendencies that just don't seem fitting for a spread-offense Pac-12 program.

Granted, we still have a small sample size of games when we actually have a healthy, "whole" offense. But, like I've been saying, it's not just the playcalling. We've known from the start that Taggart is a Harbaugh disciple, and it's kind of showing.
I agree, I thought he would show something and he has not.

Compound this with some of his out burst at the Sheldon High School practice towards the head coach regarding his son’s play if true is very alarming.
pdxduck2013
Five Star Recruit

Post by pdxduck2013 »

It's clear to me that the success of the season will rely on the maturity and development of the offensive line. They really need to set the tone for the offense, given all the inexperience at QB and WR.
brich75
Senior

Post by brich75 »

Blocking in general, recievers and tight ends blocked like crap. Breeland couldn't have blocked with less effort if he was on the bench.
GoDucksIn09
Senior

Post by GoDucksIn09 »

I ended up not watching the second half.... I am sad to say not surprised. Oregon being held to 10 points for a game and zero points in the second half... again. I am not sure what the problem is for these kids in the second half. It is almost like they are trying hard but their is zero adjustments to what the opposition is doing after half time. That is on the coaches.
Duck24
Senior

Post by Duck24 »

GoDucksIn09 wrote:I ended up not watching the second half.... I am sad to say not surprised. Oregon being held to 10 points for a game and zero points in the second half... again. I am not sure what the problem is for these kids in the second half. It is almost like they are trying hard but their is zero adjustments to what the opposition is doing after half time. That is on the coaches.
Or you had a true frosh who had no business being out there at QB, limiting the playbook since he couldn’t be trusted to throw anything beyond 5 yards, meaning the D could have 11 guys within 8 yards of the LOS, eviscerating any potential running lanes. That isn’t a knock on BB, he just isn’t ready. These next few weeks could be rough in terms of W’s and L’s on the scoreboard but I hope to see them show the same fight they did last night, even when things are going against them.

Remember...this was always a 7-8 win team for those of us living in reality and that was before the rash injuries.
Everythingsducky
Senior

Post by Everythingsducky »

GoDucksIn09 wrote:I ended up not watching the second half.... I am sad to say not surprised. Oregon being held to 10 points for a game and zero points in the second half... again. I am not sure what the problem is for these kids in the second half. It is almost like they are trying hard but their is zero adjustments to what the opposition is doing after half time. That is on the coaches.
Agree on the halftime adjustments (lack of). Ducks have basically been beaten after the 1st half of every meaningful game. Be it conservative play calling, or low fire coming back onto the field, whatever. It is looking like a poor trend, that only the Cal game temporarily muffled. But...if UO can’t throw the ball, they will be seeing 8 in the box the rest of the year, with similar results, unless they try to go heavy like Stanford. Was surprised the Ducks kept trying to be deceptive with 3 to 4 receivers every play, instead of 2 tight ends more often.
karlhungis
All Pac-12

Post by karlhungis »

Duck24 wrote:
Or you had a true frosh who had no business being out there at QB, limiting the playbook since he couldn’t be trusted to throw anything beyond 5 yards, meaning the D could have 11 guys within 8 yards of the LOS, eviscerating any potential running lanes. That isn’t a knock on BB, he just isn’t ready. These next few weeks could be rough in terms of W’s and L’s on the scoreboard but I hope to see them show the same fight they did last night, even when things are going against them.

Remember...this was always a 7-8 win team for those of us living in reality and that was before the rash injuries.
Exactly. It is a lot easier for WSU to make halftime adjustments to shut down Burmeister than it is for Oregon to make adjustments to somehow get Burmeister to run the offense better. He isn't ready and we are in for some painful games while he tries to come up to speed.
OregonFan4life -
My source just said Chip is officially back!
It will be announced at Autzen press conference tomorrow afternoon!
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

pezsez1 wrote:
I'm not judging Taggart off of just this game. And I'm not even saying he's the wrong guy for the job. He is great with recruiting, and he assembled amazing assistance. He seems to be a fantastic CEO, and that's what a college football coach essentially is. I'm just not sure he's a good enough offensive playcaller for the Pac-12. That's not just based on this game or the ASU game -- that's based on virtually all of our games except for Southern Utah. Even when we've been completely healthy, Taggart has shown some very conservative coaching tendencies that just don't seem fitting for a spread-offense Pac-12 program.

Granted, we still have a small sample size of games when we actually have a healthy, "whole" offense. But, like I've been saying, it's not just the playcalling. We've known from the start that Taggart is a Harbaugh disciple, and it's kind of showing.
This will sound crazy to some, but Taggart needs a Helfrich/nerd type at OC. I'm not a fan of what Taggart/Arroyo have been coming up with as far as designing easy plays for the offense and attacking the defense and what they are trying to do. Their ability to recognize the defense and adjust is not at a high level and that doesn't have anything to do with the Jimmie's and Joe's. We don't need to go back to a full compliment of these guys on the staff, but they do have their place and it's obvious we're missing that on offense.
OregonFan4Life
All-American

Post by OregonFan4Life »

Duck07 wrote:
pezsez1 wrote:

This will sound crazy to some, but Taggart needs a Helfrich/nerd type at OC. I'm not a fan of what Taggart/Arroyo have been coming up with as far as designing easy plays for the offense and attacking the defense and what they are trying to do. Their ability to recognize the defense and adjust is not at a high level and that doesn't have anything to do with the Jimmie's and Joe's. We don't need to go back to a full compliment of these guys on the staff, but they do have their place and it's obvious we're missing that on offense.
That’s a fantastic observation I haven’t thought of, and I agree 100%. I’ve heard from people within the organization many times that Helf is an offensive genius. I even heard that there were times he took over the offensive play calling duties from Frost and that the offensive got a lot better because of it. Helf just didn’t have the personality to lead a college football program and teach and instill discipline, but I don’t think anyone could reasonably argue that he isn’t really smart offensively.
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Post by UOducksTK1 »

:oops:

At least our defense played great.

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13
Pontius
Three Star Recruit

Post by Pontius »

CanadianQuackers wrote:I don't see an issue with play calling but I've also watched may more football than someone should have at my age.
I have an issue with play-calling and I've watched plenty of football in my life. I'm not sure you are justifying your opinion the way that you think you are. For example, the coaches choosing to redshirt BB with two QBs ahead of him doesn't really mean much. Darron Thomas was destined to redshirt as a freshman but had to pull it because of injuries. He proved very capable in the one game, but never really played again that season, and then redshirted the next season.