Injured players returning for Stanford game...

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

woundedknees
All-American

Post by woundedknees »

Per 247: https://oregon.247sports.com/Bolt/Orego ... -108756021

"All but Alie are returning starters. And Ducks fans received more good news when Taggart added that star running back Royce Freeman was back practicing Wednesday after he wasn’t seen at practice on Tuesday."
Autzen Stadium... Where great teams go to die...Hard!

karlhungis
All Pac-12

Re: Injured players returning for Stanford game...

Post by karlhungis »

So, do we want Alie or Burmeister to start?
OregonFan4life -
My source just said Chip is officially back!
It will be announced at Autzen press conference tomorrow afternoon!
maxduck
Senior

Post by maxduck »

karlhungis wrote:So, do we want Alie or Burmeister to start?
Burneister. Remember the WSU D faced USC Heisman contender Sam Darnold the week before and held him to 15/29 passing and a quarterback rating barely half his season average.
GrandpaDuck
Senior

Post by GrandpaDuck »

maxduck wrote:
Burneister. Remember the WSU D faced USC Heisman contender Sam Darnold the week before and held him to 15/29 passing and a quarterback rating barely half his season average.
If the Coaches think Allie is significantly more likely to bring a win, him. If only a slight edge, toss up or less then BB. The Allie of the second half of the Cal game was better than the BB of WSU, but there is a big difference in the competition so meh.

If UO finally gets their scoring defense in tune with their yardage defense, I would go with the one less likely to turn it over. Maybe steal a 14-10 win boosted by a defensive score or set-up.

I don't see Oregon winning a scoring contest with either QB, but Shaw/Stanford has a history of getting upset in low scoring affairs, so yeah, whichever QB doesn't turn it over and we get a Woody Hayes win. (Heck, even Sark/Wilcox did it to them once.)
EncinitasDuck
Five Star Recruit

Post by EncinitasDuck »

maxduck wrote:
Give me the future any time. Alie has had his chances to earn playing time and just hasn't gotten the job done. This year is a transition year and I will live with whatever the record/results are come Thanksgiving. I want experience on the field and on the bench come next year.
GrandpaDuck
Senior

Post by GrandpaDuck »

EncinitasDuck wrote:
maxduck wrote:
Give me the future any time. Alie has had his chances to earn playing time and just hasn't gotten the job done. This year is a transition year and I will live with whatever the record/results are come Thanksgiving. I want experience on the field and on the bench come next year.
I haven't given up on a bowl game this year but its going to be tough, so try to win every game. I don't think getting your backup QB a game of experience is as valuable to the team as getting all those bowl practices for everyone. Of course if BB is the better chance of winning that checks all the boxes.
srduck
Three Star Recruit

Post by srduck »

Two of Stanford’s top dline guys are suspended for the first half of the game on Saturday. They were kicked out of the game last week at Utah for targeting.

They have been using 2 QBs because neither one of them have been doing well. Their passing game is average at best. Yes, Bryce Love is good and if the ducks can contain him and the Oregon running game can get going I like our chances.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
pezsez1
All Pac-12

Post by pezsez1 »

I tend to be in this camp as well.

That said, if Allie offers a significantly better advantage in the passing game, then I'd give him the nod. This Stanford game feels winnable if we can get Nelson and Mitchell involved, and they'll be wasted on a QB who's just not ready to throw short/intermediate passes.

But if it's close between the two of them, then I'd start Braxton, because the Ducks aren't going to get anything better than a low-tier bowl anyway. And yeah, postseason play would be nice, but we need to develop long-term depth so this never happens again.
Willie Taggart is a dick.
StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Post by StevensTechU »

I'm fine with the 'play the guy who can be better next year' logic, but it's hard to describe Burmeister as the future when the reality is that he's going to likely ride the pine for the next 2 years, and I'm not sure how much playing a little bit as a true freshman will really effect how good he is in 2020. Maybe it will convince him that he should start at this level and he'll transfer out to somewhere that he won't sit behind Herbert. You never know, and that's why you play for today.
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

StevensTechU wrote:I'm fine with the 'play the guy who can be better next year' logic, but it's hard to describe Burmeister as the future when the reality is that he's going to likely ride the pine for the next 2 years, and I'm not sure how much playing a little bit as a true freshman will really effect how good he is in 2020. Maybe it will convince him that he should start at this level and he'll transfer out to somewhere that he won't sit behind Herbert. You never know, and that's why you play for today.
We're also dealing with freshmen and you can mess a player's head up by throwing them in over their heads. After what we saw there's a lot of work to do for him to be at a high level. Darron Thomas came in as a true freshman vs Boise St and immediately showed he had the arm to play at this level. Chris Harper also showed the opposite.

There are however a lot of other younger players who can develop if Alie is a better passing QB and that seems to be overlooked right now. Especially going to a bowl game and getting those extra practices, that means a lot for a team and if we're some place in Texas for a bowl game, this staff will use that to their recruiting advantage as well.
GrandpaDuck
Senior

Post by GrandpaDuck »

As long as we are looking into the future of QB decisions, when Herbert graduates (Senior no NFL early), BB is on track to be a Senior, Slough a RS So or True JR, WT Jr. will be a true freshman and MJ Jr a redshirt freshman. :mrgreen:

Chrystal ball predictions anyone?

If you think QB debates are fun now, wait until we mix one or two coaches kids into the mix. Message board heaven!
jefflockie
One Star Recruit

Post by jefflockie »

Alie definitely deserves playing time. Burmeister didn't look ready to run the football and was a mixed bag throwing the football. Alie is a pretty good runner and we need as many wrinkles as possible.
gogreen55
Senior

Post by gogreen55 »

jefflockie wrote:Alie definitely deserves playing time. Burmeister didn't look ready to run the football and was a mixed bag throwing the football. Alie is a pretty good runner and we need as many wrinkles as possible.
"jefflockie" promoting Taylor Alie

"victorclaver" promoting Jake Layman

"cameronhunt" promoting Jake Pisarcik

"mitchplatt" promoting Roman Sorkin

"benvoogd" promoting Charlie Noebel

What do all these things have in common?

By the way, I'm not saying you are wrong necessarily, just having a little fun with your (unfortunate) screen name. ;)