What's going on with the O-Line?

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

jimmy12
Senior

What's going on with the O-Line?

Post by jimmy12 »

They are really struggling. What was once a bright spot has now dimmed.

I am also concerned about Willie's offense. We are used to scoring at will. Chip exposed weaknesses almost immediately. WT is showing an inability to coach to strengths of the assets we currently have weaknesses of the defense.

I am not a doomsday-er, but these are concerns I have.
Groundswell
Four Star Recruit

Re: What's going on with the O-Line?

Post by Groundswell »

The offense ran for 275 yards against Stanford and averaged 6.4ypc. That was a better average than Stanford. The OL didn't play well against WSU or ASU. They have played pretty well in 5 out of 7 games. The penalties are a problem for them though.
jimmy12
Senior

Post by jimmy12 »

Good stats and agreed. If you can run the ball, then you should have a chance to win.

Question-- Everyone seems to be so excited for the future and I am too, but where are the serious weaknesses right now?

Oline is pretty good, but some weakness at Guard. (next year will be difficult for tackles)

MLB-- Dye needs help, but will a true frosh or a red shirt frosh provide that help?

Safety-- I think we're weak. This is why Hufanga would be perfect.

WR-- Enough said. Weakness everywhere and attention to blocking is obvious.

Where else?
woundedknees
All-American

Post by woundedknees »

jimmy12 wrote:Good stats and agreed. If you can run the ball, then you should have a chance to win.

Question-- Everyone seems to be so excited for the future and I am too, but where are the serious weaknesses right now?

Oline is pretty good, but some weakness at Guard. (next year will be difficult for tackles)

MLB-- Dye needs help, but will a true frosh or a red shirt frosh provide that help?

Safety-- I think we're weak. This is why Hufanga would be perfect.

WR-- Enough said. Weakness everywhere and attention to blocking is obvious.

Where else?
Hopefully, the gaping hole at backup QB has been addressed...
Autzen Stadium... Where great teams go to die...Hard!

dphi
Two Star Recruit

Post by dphi »

jimmy12 wrote: I am also concerned about Willie's offense. We are used to scoring at will. Chip exposed weaknesses almost immediately. WT is showing an inability to coach to strengths of the assets we currently have weaknesses of the defense.
Just to confirm, you're talking about the offense that, even after the last two games with a struggling freshman QB and no WRs, is tied for 22nd in scoring?
jimmy12
Senior

Post by jimmy12 »

I sense your sarcasm and think it really creative. Well done.

Chip won with Justin Roper in 2008.

Is it not on anyone's radar that there was no other QB ready?

My question, super witty guy, was about weaknesses and where people think those are. Are we too in like with our 3 and 4* recruits? Are these current players really that good or do we just want them to be? I am curious on other people's perspective on where the Ducks could upgrade on either side of the ball.
dphi
Two Star Recruit

Post by dphi »

Well, my perspective is that we have a lot of true freshman, and those that aren't are still learning a new system. Weaknesses are lack of experience and depth due to substandard recruiting in past years. I think the fact that we didn't have QB depth was apparent when two backups transferred out before the season started.

Also, Chip wasn't coach until 2009, Roper transferred before then.
jimmy12
Senior

Post by jimmy12 »

dphi wrote:Well, my perspective is that we have a lot of true freshman, and those that aren't are still learning a new system. Weaknesses are lack of experience and depth due to substandard recruiting in past years. I think the fact that we didn't have QB depth was apparent when two backups transferred out before the season started.

Say what?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chip_Kelly
dphi
Two Star Recruit

Post by dphi »

jimmy12 wrote:
dphi wrote:Well, my perspective is that we have a lot of true freshman, and those that aren't are still learning a new system. Weaknesses are lack of experience and depth due to substandard recruiting in past years. I think the fact that we didn't have QB depth was apparent when two backups transferred out before the season started.

Say what?

Did you read your link?
Head coach
On March 31, 2009, Oregon announced head coach Mike Bellotti would be promoted to athletic director; consequently, Kelly would be promoted as head coach.[9]
Phenom
All Pac-12

Post by Phenom »

Pretty sure UCLA held us to 0 points with Chip as the OC when he was down to his 3rd string QB.
jimmy12
Senior

Post by jimmy12 »

dphi wrote:
jimmy12 wrote:

Say what?

Did you read your link?
Head coach
On March 31, 2009, Oregon announced head coach Mike Bellotti would be promoted to athletic director; consequently, Kelly would be promoted as head coach.[9]
Sooooooo, he wasn't running the office as the OC?
justducky0
Senior

Post by justducky0 »

Guys guys.... Chip was the OC while Roper was at Oregon.
dphi
Two Star Recruit

Post by dphi »

jimmy12 wrote:
dphi wrote:
jimmy12 wrote:

Say what?

Did you read your link?
Head coach
Sooooooo, he wasn't running the office as the OC?
I don't know, I wasn't working there. Is that the consensus? I'm aware he was OC at the time, just didn't understand your point I guess.
Groundswell
Four Star Recruit

Post by Groundswell »

dphi wrote:
jimmy12 wrote: I am also concerned about Willie's offense. We are used to scoring at will. Chip exposed weaknesses almost immediately. WT is showing an inability to coach to strengths of the assets we currently have weaknesses of the defense.
Just to confirm, you're talking about the offense that, even after the last two games with a struggling freshman QB and no WRs, is tied for 22nd in scoring?
If you are being honest, you have to admit there were/are some issues with the offense even when we had Herbert. A lot of that scoring came in the early games because we were killing it in the turnover margin. When the turnovers have been equalled in games, or the opposition actually had an offensive unit, we haven't fared nearly as well. I think the offensive coaching is fair game, as long as people are trying to be reasonable.
jimmy12
Senior

Post by jimmy12 »

ifuwant2 wrote:
dphi wrote:
If you are being honest, you have to admit there were/are some issues with the offense even when we had Herbert. A lot of that scoring came in the early games because we were killing it in the turnover margin. When the turnovers have been equalled in games, or the opposition actually had an offensive unit, we haven't fared nearly as well. I think the offensive coaching is fair game, as long as people are trying to be reasonable.
Agreed 100%