buckmarkduck
All-American

Re: Taggart

Post by buckmarkduck »

Alan wrote:
buckmarkduck wrote:
Alan wrote:
Bud Lee wrote:
Alan wrote: Florida needs a big name, proven coach, not a first year of never has been in the power 5 head coaching club.

This is the thing though, who are the big names now? You're not getting a coach like Saban, Meyer, Dabo, Harbaugh, or Jimbo to jump ship. Les isn't what they are looking for and I really think Chip is done.

At some point a up and comer is all that you have. After all all of the above guys have been the "new" guy at some point
I agree not going to get Saban, Meyer, Dabo...but take one step down. Oklahoma St coach Gundy, Oklahoma's Riley, Penn st coach Franklin, Huskies coach Peterson...... I also agree, Chip is done, spread is not the new gimmick.
Yeah, come to Florida and get fired after winning your division, because you didn't win it exciting enough. Florida isn't Florida St, Miami, Bama or LSU. They aren't even UGA, but they think they are and they will keep firing good coaches because of it.
Meyer sure had them playing, they have been there before, plus it puspta some coach in the much beloved SEC
Meyer won at Utah, does that make them a top job? Florida has below average facilities, way out of wack expectations and you have to go against Saban and now Smart if you expect to win the confrence. The job itself is at best 4-5 in the SEC.
Alan
Senior

Post by Alan »

buckmarkduck wrote:
Alan wrote:
buckmarkduck wrote:
Alan wrote:
Bud Lee wrote:
Alan wrote: Florida needs a big name, proven coach, not a first year of never has been in the power 5 head coaching club.

This is the thing though, who are the big names now? You're not getting a coach like Saban, Meyer, Dabo, Harbaugh, or Jimbo to jump ship. Les isn't what they are looking for and I really think Chip is done.

At some point a up and comer is all that you have. After all all of the above guys have been the "new" guy at some point
I agree not going to get Saban, Meyer, Dabo...but take one step down. Oklahoma St coach Gundy, Oklahoma's Riley, Penn st coach Franklin, Huskies coach Peterson...... I also agree, Chip is done, spread is not the new gimmick.
Yeah, come to Florida and get fired after winning your division, because you didn't win it exciting enough. Florida isn't Florida St, Miami, Bama or LSU. They aren't even UGA, but they think they are and they will keep firing good coaches because of it.
Meyer sure had them playing, they have been there before, plus it puspta some coach in the much beloved SEC
Meyer won at Utah, does that make them a top job? Florida has below average facilities, way out of wack expectations and you have to go against Saban and now Smart if you expect to win the confrence. The job itself is at best 4-5 in the SEC.
You and I both know Utah is no Florida, Meyer is the only comparisons you and basically make. Any coach going to Florida has access to in state recruiting excellence, a desirable locations for recruits, SEC money . Florida is a top level college coaching job and even if it's currently a 4 or 5 best SEC team that still makes it better than 90% of other coaching jobs. 4 or 5 in the SEC is still miles ahead of 4or 5 in any other power 5 conference. They don't need a "trying to prove something" coach like Frost or Taggart, they need an "I have won at this level" coach like Peterson, Gundy, Franklin.
dphi
Two Star Recruit

Post by dphi »

Bud Lee wrote:

You're right, it should be Tebow
Bud Lee
All Pac-12

Post by Bud Lee »

buckmarkduck wrote:Yeah, come to Florida and get fired after winning your division, because you didn't win it exciting enough. Florida isn't Florida St, Miami, Bama or LSU. They aren't even UGA, but they think they are and they will keep firing good coaches because of it.

You know whats crazy? They use to be! It is crazy how quickly the administration and fan base has killed the desirability to work there. That school has amazing resources and the state of Florida is a very fertile recruiting ground. The problem is they had two hall of fame level coaches in recent history and anything less than that at the helm people aren't happy. Same thing is going to happen to Bama when Saban leaves.
karlhungis
All Pac-12

Post by karlhungis »

Alan wrote: they need an "I have won at this level" coach like Peterson, Gundy, Franklin.
Why would any of those coaches you listed leave their current programs for Florida? Each one of those guys have been very successful and have an easier path to a championship at their current jobs. Why would they give that up to coach in the SEC?
OregonFan4life -
My source just said Chip is officially back!
It will be announced at Autzen press conference tomorrow afternoon!
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

karlhungis wrote:
Alan wrote: they need an "I have won at this level" coach like Peterson, Gundy, Franklin.
Why would any of those coaches you listed leave their current programs for Florida? Each one of those guys have been very successful and have an easier path to a championship at their current jobs. Why would they give that up to coach in the SEC?
Peterson should DEFINITELY take the Florida job. :mrgreen:
pezsez1
All Pac-12

Post by pezsez1 »

The only thing that worries me about WT taking that job is him being able to bring a top-ranked recruiting glass with him. Even his early commits/recruits over the next couple years seem to be from that area!
Willie Taggart is a dick.