Why have we not .... ?

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Re: Why have we not .... ?

Post by UOducksTK1 »

greenyellow wrote:I do think people have been overly hard on a true FR who's shown he wasn't ready for D1 football and desperately needed to be redshirted. He was playing at a classification level in CA that's more like 4A football up here. The speed and athlete quality is something that Burmeister just hasn't adjusted to yet.
But why is that our backup situation? I feel like this is a familiar tune. It'd be nice to have a serviceable backup that can throw a touchdown a game.

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13
Greenblood
Senior

Post by Greenblood »

UOducksTK1 wrote:
greenyellow wrote:I do think people have been overly hard on a true FR who's shown he wasn't ready for D1 football and desperately needed to be redshirted. He was playing at a classification level in CA that's more like 4A football up here. The speed and athlete quality is something that Burmeister just hasn't adjusted to yet.
But why is that our backup situation? I feel like this is a familiar tune. It'd be nice to have a serviceable backup that can throw a touchdown a game.
Best guess is because Jonsen (and Wilson) left the program. The fact that they are not excelling on their respective current teams doesn't mean one of them (probably Jonsen) couldn't have directed the Duck offense that they were familiar with -- which Jonsen had been practicing as much as Herbert had before he left -- well enough to get one or two wins during the losing streak. We'll never know, but I think Jonsen would have been significantly better than BB this year.
GoDucksIn09
Senior

Post by GoDucksIn09 »

I guess my thought on this is that part of being a coach at a power 5 school is that you play with what you have and that means utilizing the skills have at any position. This is especially true at the qb position. It seems from my limited perspective that the coaches are not utilizing BB to maximize his skills. Passing for less than 50 yards in an entire game at a power 5 school is very concerning. I don't know how to coach qbs or anyone at a power 5 school on a football scholarship but it is hard to fathom that the coaches simply are clueless how to get the most out of the qb and to elevate his passing game. Find what he does well in practice passing down the field and call some of those plays.
jefflockie
One Star Recruit

Post by jefflockie »

The posters saying BB has gotten worse as the season has gone on must not be watching the same games. Braxton was a deer in the headlights his first games, not even able to run effectively. He has played respectably - leading the team to victory against Utah and not making dumb turnovers. Unfortunately this team isn't good enough to win with a limited game manager at QB. But some teams are. Alabama would probably go 4-1 with BB at QB.
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

jefflockie wrote:The posters saying BB has gotten worse as the season has gone on must not be watching the same games. Braxton was a deer in the headlights his first games, not even able to run effectively. He has played respectably - leading the team to victory against Utah and not making dumb turnovers. Unfortunately this team isn't good enough to win with a limited game manager at QB. But some teams are. Alabama would probably go 4-1 with BB at QB.
He has gotten worse, anyone thinking otherwise is probably not putting themselves through the pain of comparing games. Go back and watch vs WSU and then watch vs UW. Did he look like a deer in headlights? Maybe but the real take away is that WSU destroyed our OL and pressured him like crazy.
GoDucksTroll
Sophomore

Post by GoDucksTroll »

buckmarkduck wrote:
jefflockie wrote:The posters saying BB has gotten worse as the season has gone on must not be watching the same games. Braxton was a deer in the headlights his first games, not even able to run effectively. He has played respectably - leading the team to victory against Utah and not making dumb turnovers. Unfortunately this team isn't good enough to win with a limited game manager at QB. But some teams are. Alabama would probably go 4-1 with BB at QB.
He has gotten worse, anyone thinking otherwise is probably not putting themselves through the pain of comparing games. Go back and watch vs WSU and then watch vs UW. Did he look like a deer in headlights? Maybe but the real take away is that WSU destroyed our OL and pressured him like crazy.
I don't think Burmeister is playing worse, but he's not playing even a tiny bit better. He's been at the same consistent level of overwhelmed.