Why have we not .... ?

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

GrandpaDuck
Senior

Re: Why have we not .... ?

Post by GrandpaDuck »

I had low low expectations for BB being forced into action, but I didn't aim low enough. I just don't know if it is BB, the coaches or a combination that resulted in such horrid results.

I am going to put a lot of it on the coaches. I don't think they know how to coach remedial QB and hopefully they never have to do it again. I don't think they want to modify the offense for him, just limit it. They also have failed to go back to what what worked once they go off the their early game scripts.

A lot of people are claiming he cant read a defense or go through his route progressions, but are they even letting him try? The Screens and probably the Go's are not reads. But if you are going to have him throw a sideline go, which is a low percentage pass even for Herbert, how about a 10 - 15 yard out? No route progression, if he's open you throw it to him, if not you throw it over him out of bounds.

It is just hard to believe that a mobile athletic kid with adequate arm strength who threw for 12,000 yards in high school can not be built a package to throw for 70-100 yards a game. (Like I said my expectations were low.)
GrandpaDuck
Senior

Post by GrandpaDuck »

Looking back at the stats his WSU game was better than I remember. It was a pitiful running scheme (that has since been fixed) that really doomed the Ducks that game. That was his first start and there has been regression since.
Duckattack7
Five Star Recruit

Post by Duckattack7 »

GrandpaDuck wrote:Looking back at the stats his WSU game was better than I remember. It was a pitiful running scheme (that has since been fixed) that really doomed the Ducks that game. That was his first start and there has been regression since.
He hit one guy wide open for a TD and other then that was an awful game...
Return Of the Quack!
Groundswell
Four Star Recruit

Post by Groundswell »

GrandpaDuck wrote:I had low low expectations for BB being forced into action, but I didn't aim low enough. I just don't know if it is BB, the coaches or a combination that resulted in such horrid results.

I am going to put a lot of it on the coaches. I don't think they know how to coach remedial QB and hopefully they never have to do it again. I don't think they want to modify the offense for him, just limit it. They also have failed to go back to what what worked once they go off the their early game scripts.
To me it seemed pretty clear that our offense under Herbert would really stutter once the coaches got off their early game scripts as well. I think that has been a problem all season.
pezsez1
All Pac-12

Post by pezsez1 »

Taggart needs to hire a real offensive coordinator who calls the plays.
Willie Taggart is a dick.
FlDuckFan
All Pac-12
GM: Orlando Magic GM

Post by FlDuckFan »

ifuwant2 wrote:
GrandpaDuck wrote:I had low low expectations for BB being forced into action, but I didn't aim low enough. I just don't know if it is BB, the coaches or a combination that resulted in such horrid results.

To me it seemed pretty clear that our offense under Herbert would really stutter once the coaches got off their early game scripts as well. I think that has been a problem all season.
Second half adjustments have been non existent all season. At times I think that even if Herbert hadn't gotten injured the team would struggle due to play calling or scheme.
lukeyrid13
All-American
GM: Portland TrailBlazers

Post by lukeyrid13 »

Taggart comes from the Harbaugh and David Shaw coaching tree. Like it or not, he is going to be very stubborn and will have to get used to it. If/when we can truly maul other teams and fully impose our will it should hopefully pay off but as we have seen with Stanford and Michigan this year; making adjustments and accounting for poor QB play isn't likely going to be a strong suit.
duckduckgoose
Five Star Recruit

Post by duckduckgoose »

DuckMastaFunk wrote:
snapt wrote:So...who is/was worse? Burmeister or Chris Harper...
Sorry to say Burm is worse.
I was at the game where Chris Harper made his QBing debut. There is no way in hell that Harper was anywhere near the QB that B.B. is. I remember a little 5 yard screen pass that went straight into the ground.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
rsbgduck
Four Star Recruit

Post by rsbgduck »

Love all the D-1 and NFL experts/players/coaches on this board this season. I have a feeling most of y’all doing the bashing on players and coaches this season either couldn’t coach 6th graders out of a wet paper sack, never started a HS game let alone a D-1 game ohh and then there are those who never played a down of FB. I’m not just talking about this thread, there have been quit a few with the dumbest freaking thread I’ve ever seen be the poll on firing the hc. Then you’ll have posters try and argue there opinion as fact which is always a joke.
karlhungis
All Pac-12

Post by karlhungis »

rsbgduck wrote:Love all the D-1 and NFL experts/players/coaches on this board this season. I have a feeling most of y’all doing the bashing on players and coaches this season either couldn’t coach 6th graders out of a wet paper sack, never started a HS game let alone a D-1 game ohh and then there are those who never played a down of FB. I’m not just talking about this thread, there have been quit a few with the dumbest freaking thread I’ve ever seen be the poll on firing the hc. Then you’ll have posters try and argue there opinion as fact which is always a joke.
New rule. If you haven't coached D1 football, you don't get to have an opinion!
OregonFan4life -
My source just said Chip is officially back!
It will be announced at Autzen press conference tomorrow afternoon!
OregonFan4Life
All-American

Post by OregonFan4Life »

rsbgduck wrote:Love all the D-1 and NFL experts/players/coaches on this board this season. I have a feeling most of y’all doing the bashing on players and coaches this season either couldn’t coach 6th graders out of a wet paper sack, never started a HS game let alone a D-1 game ohh and then there are those who never played a down of FB. I’m not just talking about this thread, there have been quit a few with the dumbest freaking thread I’ve ever seen be the poll on firing the hc. Then you’ll have posters try and argue there opinion as fact which is always a joke.
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Post by UOducksTK1 »

Who is bashing players or coaches?

It doesn't take a rocket scientist to realize 2 touchdowns, 6 interceptions, and 320 passing yards in 5 pac-12 starts is very bad.

Seems like a reasonable observation whether novice or professional.

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13
rsbgduck
Four Star Recruit

Post by rsbgduck »

karlhungis wrote:

I don’t know if you are being sarcastic or serious but that isn’t what I was saying.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

I do think people have been overly hard on a true FR who's shown he wasn't ready for D1 football and desperately needed to be redshirted. He was playing at a classification level in CA that's more like 4A football up here. The speed and athlete quality is something that Burmeister just hasn't adjusted to yet.
karlhungis
All Pac-12

Post by karlhungis »

rsbgduck wrote:
karlhungis wrote:

I don’t know if you are being sarcastic or serious but that isn’t what I was saying.
Well, I'm almost always being sarcastic my fellow Roseburgonian but that how your post came across.
OregonFan4life -
My source just said Chip is officially back!
It will be announced at Autzen press conference tomorrow afternoon!