Gallows Humor and random observations

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

bdkipe
Two Star Recruit

Gallows Humor and random observations

Post by bdkipe »

Man, I woke up this morning feeling like I just brought the King a new spiced honey mead wine I'd really been into lately.
#PitOfMisery
#DillyDilly

Observation #2 - DO NOT get me started on AJHawk. Good Lord, how does that guy have a job? Dude literally set color commentary back to the stone ages. At no point in his rambling, incoherent commentary was he even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone watching at home is now dumber for having listened to it. Our Ducks scored only 3 points, and may God have mercy on our souls.

Observation #3 - Cristobal deserves some love. Everbody on the field, in the stadium, watching on TV and possibly even some intelligent life forms on other planets in other galaxies knew we couldn't throw and for the most part, our OLine was getting a tremedous push. Eventually their LB's flew in and made plays but we were getting a good pop.

Finally - MAD LOVE to the poster in another thread (forgot who it was) who literally gave one of the best analogies I have seen. Coach T is like Gene Hackman's Coach Norman Dale in Hoosiers. He is laying the foundation for what he wants to do and the staff is determined that we are going to get the little things and the mechanics of what we want done down pat. The man is fine taking his lumps to build a solid foundation.

PS/One other thing - If you think our previous staff would have gone into this game and done any better given Herbert down, I want a pound of whatever you are smoking. We wouldn't even have 70% of the true freshmen that are playing right now on the roster and exactly what would Helf and Co. do differently without a healthy Herbert?
gogreen55
Senior

Re: Gallows Humor and random observations

Post by gogreen55 »

bdkipe wrote:He is laying the foundation for what he wants to do and the staff is determined that we are going to get the little things and the mechanics of what we want done down pat.
We can all hope. :)
FlDuckFan
All Pac-12
GM: Orlando Magic GM

Post by FlDuckFan »

bdkipe wrote:
Finally - MAD LOVE to the poster in another thread (forgot who it was) who literally gave one of the best analogies I have seen. Coach T is like Gene Hackman's Coach Norman Dale in Hoosiers. He is laying the foundation for what he wants to do and the staff is determined that we are going to get the little things and the mechanics of what we want done down pat. The man is fine taking his lumps to build a solid foundation.
Throwing the ball is a major part of modern day football. Braxton enrolled early and still isn't comfortable throwing the ball deeper than 8 yards, this is a giant problem. Multiple people have said that making him throw the ball is essentially setting him up to fail. If making your quarterback throw the ball is that big of an issue he should probably be switched to running back. Nelson threw a deeper pass against Utah than BB did all game against UW.
UofDuck
Senior

Post by UofDuck »

bdkipe wrote:Man, I woke up this morning feeling like I just brought the King a new spiced honey mead wine I'd really been into lately.
#PitOfMisery
#DillyDilly

Observation #2 - DO NOT get me started on AJHawk. Good Lord, how does that guy have a job? Dude literally set color commentary back to the stone ages. At no point in his rambling, incoherent commentary was he even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone watching at home is now dumber for having listened to it. Our Ducks scored only 3 points, and may God have mercy on our souls.

Observation #3 - Cristobal deserves some love. Everbody on the field, in the stadium, watching on TV and possibly even some intelligent life forms on other planets in other galaxies knew we couldn't throw and for the most part, our OLine was getting a tremedous push. Eventually their LB's flew in and made plays but we were getting a good pop.

PS/One other thing - If you think our previous staff would have gone into this game and done any better given Herbert down, I want a pound of whatever you are smoking. We wouldn't even have 70% of the true freshmen that are playing right now on the roster and exactly what would Helf and Co. do differently without a healthy Herbert?
Thanks for the MAD LOVE and compliment.
Duckattack7
Five Star Recruit

Post by Duckattack7 »

FlDuckFan wrote:
bdkipe wrote:
Throwing the ball is a major part of modern day football. Braxton enrolled early and still isn't comfortable throwing the ball deeper than 8 yards, this is a giant problem. Multiple people have said that making him throw the ball is essentially setting him up to fail. If making your quarterback throw the ball is that big of an issue he should probably be switched to running back. Nelson threw a deeper pass against Utah than BB did all game against UW.
I don't get why people can't just understand he isn't ready. Like throwing 3-4 interceptions a game isnt going to help him. He needs to learn the mesh hand off before he can fricken read a god damn defense. How many true freshman qbs are ready to go year one? I don't give a flying fk who the coach is if you aren't ready you aren't ready.
Return Of the Quack!
soduck
Four Star Recruit

Post by soduck »

I hate Clownzano first of all. And mostly avoid reading him. But in his article today about the game, he quoted Matt Millen after the game as saying we threw it down field once in the second half to show everyone that BB can't throw a deep pass.
FlDuckFan
All Pac-12
GM: Orlando Magic GM

Post by FlDuckFan »

Duckattack7 wrote:
FlDuckFan wrote:
bdkipe wrote:
I don't get why people can't just understand he isn't ready. Like throwing 3-4 interceptions a game isnt going to help him. He needs to learn the mesh hand off before he can fricken read a god damn defense. How many true freshman qbs are ready to go year one? I don't give a flying fk who the coach is if you aren't ready you aren't ready.
Taggert's job is to get him ready, that's why the team practices through out the week. An essential part of playing quarterback is having the ability to throw the ball. I get he's not ready but this deep into the season and after as many starts as he's had he should have the ability to do so.
northbeachsf
Freshman

Post by northbeachsf »

Duckattack7 wrote:
FlDuckFan wrote:
bdkipe wrote:
You are right. I just don’t get it. So telling the kid that you don’t trust him to throw he ball is somehow better for his confidence than letting him throw a few picks? That logic is ridiculous, especially when you are already down 3+ touchdowns to a top 15 team. At least if he is throwing picks, he might be learning something. I Don’t see any situation where not letting him throw the ball adds any benefit, especially when the game is already out of hand.
Duckattack7
Five Star Recruit

Post by Duckattack7 »

northbeachsf wrote:
Duckattack7 wrote:
FlDuckFan wrote:
bdkipe wrote:
You are right. I just don’t get it. So telling the kid that you don’t trust him to throw he ball is somehow better for his confidence than letting him throw a few picks? That logic is ridiculous, especially when you are already down 3+ touchdowns to a top 15 team. At least if he is throwing picks, he might be learning something. I Don’t see any situation where not letting him throw the ball adds any benefit, especially when the game is already out of hand.
I guess we have to agree to disagree. Throwing picks doesn't equate to learning as we have already seen. He doesn't even have confidence in himself to throw he just runs the ball or throws it 5 yards into thriple coverage. I probably couldn't count on 1 hand how many open receivers he has missed this season. At that point you might as well just keep pounding the rock and get out of town. its not the tools he's lacking it's between the ears, something that will take time for him to develope.
Return Of the Quack!
northbeachsf
Freshman

Post by northbeachsf »

Duckattack7 wrote:
northbeachsf wrote:
Duckattack7 wrote:
FlDuckFan wrote:
bdkipe wrote:
I guess we have to agree to disagree. Throwing picks doesn't equate to learning as we have already seen. He doesn't even have confidence in himself to throw he just runs the ball or throws it 5 yards into thriple coverage. I probably couldn't count on 1 hand how many open receivers he has missed this season. At that point you might as well just keep pounding the rock and get out of town. its not the tools he's lacking it's between the ears, something that will take time for him to develope.
I get what you are saying, but throwing the ball in a game situation does equate to experience and learning. How is he ever going to learn to read a defense or look off a receiver? If you are going to get run out of the building, at least take the opportunity to learn from it.
midwestduck82
Three Star Recruit

Post by midwestduck82 »

Duckattack7 wrote:
northbeachsf wrote:
Duckattack7 wrote:
FlDuckFan wrote:
bdkipe wrote:
They would have film on him throwing the ball into the wrong places and be able to dissect the film at least. That looks to be what he is lacking. They can keep telling him that he wants to go to Receiver Y in this coverage and Receiver X in that coverage and then work through progressions. But I don't think that he is visually getting it or fully grasping all concepts of what's happening with the opposing defense. Also, I don't think that he can completely see the defensive coverage. He might be a roll out and throw deep or stay in the pocket and throw short type of QB. Either way a team needs to pass to win in 2017. Coaches should have come up with something that would have worked for him.

Hopefully we don't have to see him on the field again for the next couple of years. Then when Shough gets injured, while we are all marveling on how similar he is to Herbert, BB comes in as his backup. That's when we all see he's finally an acceptable backup and win a few games with him. That sounds nice.
midwestduck82
Three Star Recruit

Post by midwestduck82 »

And I hope we can count more than a handful of open receivers. Every receiver in the middle of the field that is beyond 10 yards from the line of scrimmage should be open. The flats have been triple covered. There is only one defender out there.
picksix
Three Star Recruit

Post by picksix »

So tell me DUCK7 .... so you are good with just running the ball the whole game? And those throws to the sidelines do not count. He's a QUARTERBACK, quarterbacks THROW a football... I can live with losing a game or games TRYING to throw the ball downfield! Opposing defensive coaches got it easy .. just tell your players to stack the box... don't worry about Oregon throwing the ball ... they will run it 95% of the time. I appreciate Braxton stepping in, but honestly I am done with him at QB if he can't throw farther than 10 yards. I'd like to see Taylor get another shot.. I know he'll throw the ball ... at least he'll put it in the air longer than 10 yards. Until Herbert gets back lets see taylor again. Hell... lets see what Burch has got!
Phenom
All Pac-12

Post by Phenom »

picksix wrote:So tell me DUCK7 .... so you are good with just running the ball the whole game? And those throws to the sidelines do not count. He's a QUARTERBACK, quarterbacks THROW a football... I can live with losing a game or games TRYING to throw the ball downfield! Opposing defensive coaches got it easy .. just tell your players to stack the box... don't worry about Oregon throwing the ball ... they will run it 95% of the time. I appreciate Braxton stepping in, but honestly I am done with him at QB if he can't throw farther than 10 yards. I'd like to see Taylor get another shot.. I know he'll throw the ball ... at least he'll put it in the air longer than 10 yards. Until Herbert gets back lets see taylor again. Hell... lets see what Burch has got!
You really like pick 6s don't you?
nogerO
Senior

Post by nogerO »

We have a bye this weekend. Herbert has 2 more weeks to get totally well. Which is exactly why WT chose not to start Herbert IMHO. We have two winnable games at home. Probably have to win both to get to a bowl game, but it can be done, especially with JH behind center and our defense. That would give us extra practice days for the young guys and a little swagger back. SO my suggestion is that everyone just relax about BB... Pretty sure he was recruited for a reason. The sky is not falling...
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice the gift." - Steve Prefontaine