Special Teams Now ranked 107th in the nation

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

GrantDuck
Senior

Special Teams Now ranked 107th in the nation

Post by GrantDuck »

https://www.espn.com/college-football/s ... efficiency

It's nearing the levels of how bad our defense was last year.
GrantDuck
Senior

Re: Special Teams Now ranked 107th in the nation

Post by GrantDuck »

Additionally 118th in TO's and 122nd in Penalties.

Very little of this has to do with BB. Bad coaching. Now a lot of this dates back to Helfie...but it's GOt to be cleaned up by year 2.
pezsez1
All Pac-12

Post by pezsez1 »

I've been critical of Taggart lately, but I'm actually giving him a pass for the penalties this season. Lots of PI calls from a young secondary that's both inexperienced and learning a new defense, and lots of offensive procedural penalties with an altered playbook and a new (massively inexperienced) QB under center. I totally agree though about this needing to be cleaned up by Year 2.
Willie Taggart is a dick.
nogerO
Senior

Post by nogerO »

pezsez1 wrote:I've been critical of Taggart lately, but I'm actually giving him a pass for the penalties this season. Lots of PI calls from a young secondary that's both inexperienced and learning a new defense, and lots of offensive procedural penalties with an altered playbook and a new (massively inexperienced) QB under center. I totally agree though about this needing to be cleaned up by Year 2.
While I agree with your premise RE: penalties, I was hoping by now that we would see a decline in penalties as the year comes to a close. WT needs to have his own video of what he has done well and what he needs improvement. He put on the big boy pants when he came here and it's time to check the pockets for holes.

As for special teams, I'm not sure he has the guys he needs yet that are ALL ready to go full speed down the field, stay in their lanes and be able to stop on a dime, shed blockers, break down and make a the open field tackle. I expect he has recruited some of these types of folks and will continue to do so. Just remember Duck faithful what he inherited in ability, attitude and philosophy from the previous tenants. I have to give WT a pass for this year based on overall improvement and ability to surround himself with people who top notch coaches and recruiters.
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice the gift." - Steve Prefontaine
Groundswell
Four Star Recruit

Post by Groundswell »

Haven't the penalties been much better the last 3-4 games? If I remember right, we had one decent penalty game, one not so great, and then the last couple have been pretty good. There's been considerable improvement, right? Or do I have that all wrong?