"There's been talk of Willie Taggart Wanting out of Oregon"

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

Duck24
Senior

Re: "There's been talk of Willie Taggart Wanting out of Oreg

Post by Duck24 »

duckfan22 wrote:
Phenom wrote:
OregonFan4Life wrote:I’m hearing a lot of weird things about Taggart, including from people who have inside ties to the athletic department. I’m honestly not too sure either side is 100% happy but I really have no idea, just been hearing rumors. I guess we’ll see what happens. Mullens has to be at least slightly nervous right now.
What you hearing?
Remember some of your sources were way off when they were looking for a new football coach. Something to do with chip. Not knocking your sources but just be leary.
And Herbert returning for Utah.
GrandpaDuck
Senior

Post by GrandpaDuck »

buckmarkduck wrote:
GrandpaDuck wrote:
buckmarkduck wrote:
OregonFan4Life wrote:I’m hearing a lot of weird things about Taggart, including from people who have inside ties to the athletic department. I’m honestly not too sure either side is 100% happy but I really have no idea, just been hearing rumors. I guess we’ll see what happens. Mullens has to be at least slightly nervous right now.
If he leaves after a year, Mullens should follow him right out the door. He's the guy I blame the most.
Why?
Let's see, he hired Helfrich, then gave Helfrich a new contract and big buy out. That's two strikes.
I thought you were saying you were blaming Mullens for Taggart wanting to leave.

I didn't like the timing of the new contract. The initial hire, I wasn't thrilled with, but keeping things intact did result in 2 BCS bowls and a NC game. So I'm giving him just a strike and a half on that.
Duck24
Senior

Post by Duck24 »

If you read the replies to the tweet, JHop shuts this rumor down pretty quick. Hope he’s right.
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

maxduck wrote:He also hit a couple of home runs with Robert Johnson and Kelly Graves. Many think he did a pretty good job hiring WT.
Not if he didn't take the time to give him a high enough buyout to keep him more than one year. And besides football doesn't just drive the AD, it's the entire AD all the other sports only have what they have because of footballs success over the last 20+ years.
OregonFan4Life
All-American

Post by OregonFan4Life »

Duck24 wrote:
duckfan22 wrote:
Phenom wrote:
What you hearing?
Remember some of your sources were way off when they were looking for a new football coach. Something to do with chip. Not knocking your sources but just be leary.
I get it, my sources have been wrong lately, I’ll own up to that. I’m just reporting what I’ve heard. I’ve been told by people with strong ties that Willie can be rude and is intense and not very friendly towards members of the AD. I’m not claiming that’s true, just reporting what I’ve heard. I’m not even saying that I believe it, just again, it’s what I’ve heard.
Handsome Dan
Four Star Recruit

Post by Handsome Dan »

OregonFan4Life wrote:
Duck24 wrote:
duckfan22 wrote:
Phenom wrote:
What you hearing?
I get it, my sources have been wrong lately, I’ll own up to that. I’m just reporting what I’ve heard. I’ve been told by people with strong ties that Willie can be rude and is intense and not very friendly towards members of the AD. I’m not claiming that’s true, just reporting what I’ve heard. I’m not even saying that I believe it, just again, it’s what I’ve heard.
Was the Chipster not also rude and intense occasionally?
brich75
Senior

Post by brich75 »

Oregon must be recruiting way to good across country.
srduck
Three Star Recruit

Post by srduck »

OregonFan4Life wrote:
Duck24 wrote:
duckfan22 wrote:
Phenom wrote:
What you hearing?
I have heard the exact opposite and I have strong contacts in the AD as well. In fact the way it has been stated to me is that WT and the Asst coaches are a ‘refreshing change’ from the previous regime. So somewhere in between lies the truth as the old saying goes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
GoDucksIn09
Senior

Post by GoDucksIn09 »

To me him wanting to leave does not make much sense. He has only been here a year and while he might be able to recruit at a high level the jury still out on coaching at a power 5 school. The lack of half time adjustments and play calling cause concern.
nogerO
Senior

Post by nogerO »

duckfan22 wrote:
Phenom wrote:
What you hearing?

:lol: :lol: :lol:
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice the gift." - Steve Prefontaine
nogerO
Senior

Post by nogerO »

buckmarkduck wrote:
maxduck wrote:He also hit a couple of home runs with Robert Johnson and Kelly Graves. Many think he did a pretty good job hiring WT.
Not if he didn't take the time to give him a high enough buyout to keep him more than one year. And besides football doesn't just drive the AD, it's the entire AD all the other sports only have what they have because of footballs success over the last 20+ years.

Well that and some guy named Phil I think might have had a little bit to do with it.
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice the gift." - Steve Prefontaine
nogerO
Senior

Post by nogerO »

brich75 wrote:Oregon must be recruiting way to good across country.
Pretty sure Texass was mostly responsible for all the crap that came down on Chipster for the same reason, Oregon was recruting in texass and getting some good players. Methinks there's some shenanigans going on here. :roll:
brich75
Senior

Post by brich75 »

nogerO wrote:
brich75 wrote:Oregon must be recruiting way to good across country.
Pretty sure Texass was mostly responsible for all the crap that came down on Chipster for the same reason, Oregon was recruting in texass and getting some good players. Methinks there's some shenanigans going on here. :roll:
Yup odd that twice now in his first year there are rumors creating doubt on his future. Which really only affects recruiting for anything. Me thanks some people don't like Oregon with top 5 classes
GoDucksTroll
Sophomore

Post by GoDucksTroll »

The risks that come with hiring an up-and-coming coach while not being Texas/Ohio State/USC.

I strongly doubt that Willie is leaving that quickly, but I have no sources. Ole Miss is a massive downgrade, I don't think that's even a possibility. Perhaps this is all a ploy to get more money, SEC type money. Maybe his agent put out feelers, if he didn't he would be remiss in his job.

But if Willie is genuinely unhappy here we need to have a contingency plans in place. What a kick in the teeth it would be to have Willie go to FSU/Tennessee/Ole Miss while Chip goes to Florida and we get left with nothing.

If that happens I would be so upset with Mullens, upending the ship and not securing the long term solution. Willie's buyout is chump change by SEC standards. Who would we even target in my doomsday scenario?
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

GrandpaDuck wrote:
buckmarkduck wrote:
GrandpaDuck wrote:
buckmarkduck wrote:
If he leaves after a year, Mullens should follow him right out the door. He's the guy I blame the most.
Why?
Let's see, he hired Helfrich, then gave Helfrich a new contract and big buy out. That's two strikes.
I thought you were saying you were blaming Mullens for Taggart wanting to leave.

I didn't like the timing of the new contract. The initial hire, I wasn't thrilled with, but keeping things intact did result in 2 BCS bowls and a NC game. So I'm giving him just a strike and a half on that.

To be clear I do do hold Helfrich against him, but also everyone else involved it was a lazy hire. If WT leaves in 3-4 years, I'll have no problem with it, and I'd guess he'll leave us better off than he found the program. I'll just be upset if he leaves after one year.