Re: Leavitt and Cristobal, clarification please

Post by lukeyrid13 »

4m is the amount left on his contract. So he would be walking away from that
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

Tray Dub wrote:
Duck07 wrote:So IIRC... Tray Dub said that Jim's buyout right now is around 4M but after the Bowl Game there is nothing preventing him from quitting outright in the contract if he really wants to leave money on the table. Otherwise it's not really reduced until February in a substantial way.
The buyout is actually $500,000 through January 31, 2018, then drops to $250,000. (To be clear, a buyout means that's what Leavitt or the school hiring him has to pay that amount to our Athletic Department.

The hiring timeline is this: he can talk to another school any time so long as he notifies the AD. He cannot actually quit his UO job until after our postseason is over (so not until December 17, 2017).

Not sure where the $4M figure comes from, I heard that was Wrighster's misreading but I don't know. It's not the buyout number.
Thanks.
perennialduck
One Star Recruit

Post by perennialduck »

Phenom wrote:
GrantDuck wrote:REALLY not understanding the "can't keep both" narrative..

Cristobal HC, Leavitt the highest paid DC in the west. FSU is further from his girls...
Rumor is that Leavitt's power play to become HC didn't sit well with the rest of the coaching staff who made some sort of pact to stay together if one of them was promoted. It might have passed on to the players as you see that even the players on defense are supporting Cristobal.
If this is true, that is pretty cool. Well, everything but Leavitt's power play!

I recall many comments and tweets by players and coaches this year about "building something special in Eugene". It would be nice to know that those comments were genuine, and a good majority of the coaching staff is not like Wheelie Tagurt. The rest of this team believed in that message and want very much so to continue building.

I am in the Cristoballin camp. I think he deserves the opportunity, especially with the alternative head coaching options that have been presented recently. Keep 4 or 5 core coaches, and lets patch this recruiting class back together quickly!
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

perennialduck wrote:I recall many comments and tweets by players and coaches this year about "building something special in Eugene". It would be nice to know that those comments were genuine, and a good majority of the coaching staff is not like Wheelie Tagurt. The rest of this team believed in that message and want very much so to continue building.

I am in the Cristoballin camp. I think he deserves the opportunity, especially with the alternative head coaching options that have been presented recently. Keep 4 or 5 core coaches, and lets patch this recruiting class back together quickly!
I really think that Mario has been presenting himself as the right candidate behind the scenes right now and doing all of the "million little things" that make the difference.
Cristobal has had opportunities to go elsewhere at the end of every season he coached at Alabama. He chose to go to Oregon because he believes in the new head coach, Willie Taggart, and the vision of the what he wants to build.

“It’s been a great four years and along these four years there’s always been opportunities that came every year at all levels,” Cristobal said, “whether it be head-coaching opportunities, coordinator opportunities, assistant-coaching opportunities. This is one I felt really strongly about because of the head football coach, Coach Taggart, and the other assistant coaches who I’ve known from competing against them back when I was a head coach myself. My familiarity with them, the way that they want to run a program and the ability to help a university in a capacity that’s different: one that that gives me an opportunity to show growth and develop men. Those are things I learned here under Coach Saban. It’s an opportunity that’s exciting for a lot of reasons. I’m certainly grateful for that opportunity.”

http://www.tuscaloosanews.com/sports/20 ... for-oregon
trnxcam
Three Star Recruit

Post by trnxcam »

I have this feeling that Mullins will not be hiring anyone from the existing coaching staff. I think all the players and recruits uniting around Cristobal will actually have a reverse impact on Mullins. I think Mullins has an ego and I think he will not be dictated by recruits or players as to who the next coach will be.

Just a feeling i have...probably not correct...but if he was going to hire Cristobal he should have already done it to help save the recruit class. The longer Mullins waits to announce the new coach...the less likely it is someone from the current staff.
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

trnxcam wrote:I have this feeling that Mullins will not be hiring anyone from the existing coaching staff. I think all the players and recruits uniting around Cristobal will actually have a reverse impact on Mullins. I think Mullins has an ego and I think he will not be dictated by recruits or players as to who the next coach will be.

Just a feeling i have...probably not correct...but if he was going to hire Cristobal he should have already done it to help save the recruit class. The longer Mullins waits to announce the new coach...the less likely it is someone from the current staff.
I really don't believe that Rob is making this decision - whatsoever, with what we know of our power structure.