karlhungis
All Pac-12

Re: Assistant Coaches?

Post by karlhungis »

frogsnouts wrote:
karlhungis wrote:
frogsnouts wrote:
UofO8 wrote:
frogsnouts wrote:Remember when Tosh was pulling all those great defensive recruits to Cal? I feel like he could do something similar here. Even if he isn't the best DC we've ever had, he may surround himself with the talent to mask most of his issues. If we keep Heyward, Joe and Clark I'm pretty willing to take a chance on Tosh.
He still is, he's one of bama's best recruiters.
Of course, but Bama recruits itself. Getting those guys to go to Cal, where their best season was going to be something like 7-5, was the impressive recruiting effort.

If the worst thing about someone is that they used Xbox Live to talk to recruits during a dead period, I think I'm willing to give them a pass.
He literally got busted giving a bag of cash to a recruit.
And our last DC potentially punched a player and told his teammates to lie about it. Tosh paid for a kid's tutoring. If I didn't complain before, I sure am not complaining about Tosh.
Jim made a mistake and paid a heavy price for it. Tosh has shown a pattern of dishonesty and has been rewarded for it.
OregonFan4life -
My source just said Chip is officially back!
It will be announced at Autzen press conference tomorrow afternoon!
justducky0
Senior

Post by justducky0 »

actually... Jim paid nothing. USF settled with JL after they fired him for 2.75MIL .. and the father of the player who he "struck" changed his story at least 3 times. Sooooo.
DuckMastaFunk
Five Star Recruit

Post by DuckMastaFunk »

I don't understand the desire to sacrifice football IQ for recruiting ability. Do we really want to be the USC of the North - best recruiting classes but consistently under-performing on the field? (Yes, USC had a pretty good year, but with the level of competition they really should have been undefeated and in the playoff.)
Recruiting is important, but cannot be at the expense of coaching ability, if you want to be elite.
GrandpaDuck
Senior

Post by GrandpaDuck »

DuckMastaFunk wrote:I don't understand the desire to sacrifice football IQ for recruiting ability. Do we really want to be the USC of the North - best recruiting classes but consistently under-performing on the field? (Yes, USC had a pretty good year, but with the level of competition they really should have been undefeated and in the playoff.)
Recruiting is important, but cannot be at the expense of coaching ability, if you want to be elite.
We'll see how this plays out over the next few years. USC's recruiters versus Chip's coaches in the battle of LA. (Note though, even USC has a coach not a recruiter for DC.)
karlhungis
All Pac-12

Post by karlhungis »

justducky0 wrote:actually... Jim paid nothing. USF settled with JL after they fired him for 2.75MIL .. and the father of the player who he "struck" changed his story at least 3 times. Sooooo.
Losing his job and being blacklisted from being a head coach vs getting promoted and progressively moved to bigger and better programs.
OregonFan4life -
Phenom
All Pac-12

Post by Phenom »

DuckMastaFunk wrote:I don't understand the desire to sacrifice football IQ for recruiting ability. Do we really want to be the USC of the North - best recruiting classes but consistently under-performing on the field? (Yes, USC had a pretty good year, but with the level of competition they really should have been undefeated and in the playoff.)
Actually, USC doesn't have a ton of great recruiters right now. That program just sells itself. I do agree that I want a good playcaller and planner over a good recruiter. Wish we could have both...

That being said, people were saying that Cristobal was a great recruiter rather than a great coach...turns out he's both!
karlhungis
All Pac-12

Post by karlhungis »

Damn, all I noticed was the penalties. I had no idea we had what could be argued the top line in the nation.
OregonFan4life -
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

Phenom wrote:
Actually, USC doesn't have a ton of great recruiters right now. That program just sells itself. I do agree that I want a good playcaller and planner over a good recruiter. Wish we could have both...

That being said, people were saying that Cristobal was a great recruiter rather than a great coach...turns out he's both!
And yet Braxton still couldn't complete a pass downfield.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

Wonder if this may help Oregon keep Leavitt:
http://footballscoop.com/news/report-bi ... tate-2018/
Greenblood
Senior

Post by Greenblood »

I think it was on an O-Live podcast that I thought I heard that Leavitt's elderly mother is living in FL. Obviously, that could be a very understandable reason for him to join Willie.
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

So if Herbert doesn't go down than Crosby would likely be #1 with a more balanced offense, same for Throckmorton who appears ready to step in at LT based on that stat that's not just Sacks but QB Hits.

There is a dearth of OL in the NFL and if Cristobal can produce high quality OL's while keeping a pro-style offense that is capable of no-huddle then it can become it's own selling point for recruits. It wasn't that long ago teams loved to talk about how Oregon doesn't prepare you for the league, psh.

I also read that Jalen Jelks had the highest number of QB pressures from an interior DL in the nation, so we arguably had the best DL and OT in the nation this year!
partytime1667
One Star Recruit

Post by partytime1667 »

Telly Lockette (OSU's RB coach) officially hired by FSU. Guess Coach Pimp is here to stay!
AutzenMember
Five Star Recruit

Post by AutzenMember »

Duck07 wrote: so we arguably had the best DL and OT in the nation this year!
So the best competition each of them faced all season was in practice against each other! No wonder they both progressed so well...made everyone else they faced seem like chumps.
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Post by UOducksTK1 »

247 reporting that Willie is gonna offer another candidate (not named Leavitt) the FSU DC position. Doesn't necessarily mean Leavitt said no already, but interesting that Willie is considering other options!

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Post by UOducksTK1 »

Pretty incredible that a big chunk of the staff might likely stay!!

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13