Cristobal vs. Taggart character

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

OregonFan4Life
All-American

Re: Cristobal vs. Taggart character

Post by OregonFan4Life »

Duck24 wrote:Funny how all of these rumors about him being a shitty person come to light after he leaves and it fits the narrative of the butthurt portion of our Duck brethren.
You sure talk a big game tough guy. But actually, many people here, including myself, posted things that questioned Willie’s character but doubted it probably for the sake of delusional fan hood. Now that Willie screwed the program over and lied to the players and recruits, it just makes more sense. The Sheldon story and me posting that people I know within the program including players saying that they aren’t big Willie fans and that he isn’t very personable are examples.
dthomas=ddixon

Post by dthomas=ddixon »

Two things can be true at the same time. Taggart followed his dreams but did it in a way that lacked class.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

So far, about the only things Taggart has messed up on his way out the door are feelings of the players and fans and this recruiting class. Everything else seems repairable, especially with someone like Cristobal at the helm now.
DuckMastaFunk
Five Star Recruit

Post by DuckMastaFunk »

dthomas=ddixon wrote:Two things can be true at the same time. Taggart followed his dreams but did it in a way that lacked class.
Please allow me to attempt to prove this theory wrong. Suppose one has a dream to have a "relationship" with Kate Upton. This individual goes to a Hollywood event, jumps the ropes and pinches her derrière while making all manner of honking noises.

I believe in this case the individual would be following his dreams while doing it in a manner that lacked any inkling of class. ;)
Handsome Dan
Four Star Recruit

Post by Handsome Dan »

OregonFan4Life wrote:
Duck24 wrote:Funny how all of these rumors about him being a shitty person come to light after he leaves and it fits the narrative of the butthurt portion of our Duck brethren.
You sure talk a big game tough guy. But actually, many people here, including myself, posted things that questioned Willie’s character but doubted it probably for the sake of delusional fan hood. Now that Willie screwed the program over and lied to the players and recruits, it just makes more sense. The Sheldon story and me posting that people I know within the program including players saying that they aren’t big Willie fans and that he isn’t very personable are examples.
Yes, those are the things I was trying to reference when I said
At the same time, though, I think we'd all be lacking honesty if we denied that there were a least a couple things that surfaced during Taggart's (almost) year at Oregon that were bothersome - things that we may have minimized in the rush of seeing the program revitalized so quickly, but realistically were not great to see
in the OP. I wasn't trying to deny the idea that there are sour grapes motivating some of the backlash we see towards Taggart, but I genuinely remembered seeing/hearing things during the season and being less comfortable than I wanted to be. I'm just as guilty as everyone else of trying to pretend those things weren't there, but now that he's left and we don't need to hold onto our delusions about him, I thought it would be good to be honest about it. In addition to acknowledging what we noticed about Taggart, that honesty does involve acknowledging our own fault in ignoring those signs at the start and acknowledging the potential to be distorting the truth now, so I didn't think this discussion was the same sort of toxic/dishonest/delusionally unaware ranting that gets fanbases somewhat fairly mocked.
Duckenstein wrote:Taggart was obviously fake from day one

That smile, those canned lines

But that doesn't necessarily indicate a charlatan and I'm still not sure if taggart is a moronic narcissist or just a misguided introvert

I think Cristobal probably wears his heart on his sleeve and he's a strong individual that can afford to do that. I think he comes off as more authentic because he can—but it doesn't say anything about his character

I think there are other indications the man has integrity
After reading this I decided to watch the introductory press conferences for both coaches, and I saw exactly what you were describing: Taggart came off as ridiculously disingenuous, but it was in a robotic/inorganic sort of way, and that made it really hard to tell the extent to which he was being dishonest vs. the extent to which he was simply uncomfortable in the situation. (And, of course, dishonesty and discomfort can blend into and precipitate each other.)
woundedknees
All-American

Post by woundedknees »

There shouldn't be much reason for Winkle T. To feel uncomfortable with his introductory schtick... He's had more practice in 3years than some coaches get in a lifetimes.

As they said on ''Dragnet'', "The story you are about to see is true ( At least in Winkie's mind...). Only the names have changed".
Autzen Stadium... Where great teams go to die...Hard!

stlDUCKfan
Pac-12 Prediction Winner!

Post by stlDUCKfan »

DuckMastaFunk wrote:
dthomas=ddixon wrote:Two things can be true at the same time. Taggart followed his dreams but did it in a way that lacked class.
Please allow me to attempt to prove this theory wrong. Suppose one has a dream to have a "relationship" with Kate Upton. This individual goes to a Hollywood event, jumps the ropes and pinches her derrière while making all manner of honking noises.

I believe in this case the individual would be following his dreams while doing it in a manner that lacked any inkling of class. ;)

I think this proves his point.
DuckMastaFunk
Five Star Recruit

Post by DuckMastaFunk »

stlDUCKfan wrote:
DuckMastaFunk wrote:

Haha! Yes. For some reason when I read it I thought is said "can't". My mistake.
Duck24
Senior

Post by Duck24 »

OregonFan4Life wrote:
The “big game tough guy” talk is everyone coming out of the woodwork to criticize Taggart’s character, take other personal pot shots at him and cite their “sources”. But hey, whatever fits your predetermined narrative and makes you feel better about yourself. He’s gone, get over it.
stlDUCKfan
Pac-12 Prediction Winner!

Post by stlDUCKfan »

DuckMastaFunk wrote:
stlDUCKfan wrote:
DuckMastaFunk wrote:

Haha! Yes. For some reason when I read it I thought is said "can't". My mistake.
Lol I reread it three times because I thought I misread it. No worries. Good analogy.
Alan
Senior

Post by Alan »

Duck24 wrote:
OregonFan4Life wrote:
The “big game tough guy” talk is everyone coming out of the woodwork to criticize Taggart’s character, take other personal pot shots at him and cite their “sources”. But hey, whatever fits your predetermined narrative and makes you feel better about yourself. He’s gone, get over it.
Hopefully I won't get In a debate on this topic. I do believe Willie's dream job opened up and they did come after him, he would have been nuts not to take it. However, the days leading up to his departure, his lying, his use of the Duck's jet to interview for the job was nothing less then sleazy. With that said I feel the same way on some of these post in this thread, cheap pot shots at Taggart and backing the cheap shots up with "my source" is just as sleazy. We have a new coach the vast majority of us are happy with, looks like we will keep a good part of out assistants.....so let's move on and next man up.
OregonFan4Life
All-American

Post by OregonFan4Life »

Duck24 wrote:
OregonFan4Life wrote:
There is so much irony in this post that it really isn't worth arguing but here I am anyways. You claim we have a predetermined narrative but that's just asinine, as multiple posters have explained to you, there were instances where we believed Willie may not have had the best character but out of our desperate fanhood we refused to believe them. Yet you clearly you have your predetermined narrative that no matter what we explain, this is all a "butthurt" reaction from us. Honestly, from my perspective, from your posts you just seem like you used this as an opportunity to saddle up on your high horse and look down upon us that aren't happy about Willie's departure and come out with unnecessary insults. If you don't want to believe I have sources, that's fine, I expect that being on a forum. I've been right before and predicted things before anyone knew and I've been wrong before too, so I understand why people don't take me seriously. But to call out a perceive predetermined narrative while desperately defending your own predetermined narrative just looks silly.
StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Post by StevensTechU »

Anyone notice during the press conference how Cristobal outlined that there were rules violations basically everywhere he went? lol Some of them were things that happened before he arrived, but man, he really strung violations at Miami-Rutgers-FIU together in a way that didn't sound great.
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

StevensTechU wrote:Anyone notice during the press conference how Cristobal outlined that there were rules violations basically everywhere he went? lol Some of them were things that happened before he arrived, but man, he really strung violations at Miami-Rutgers-FIU together in a way that didn't sound great.
One way of looking it as he's stupid to take those jobs knowing the trouble they were in and the flip side is that he's not afraid of staying with something in order to make it right. I liked how he called it "cutting his teeth" at FIU and with his parent's coming to Cuba, he's got a lot of real talk for players to show how your attitude and work ethic are what matters.
srduck
Three Star Recruit

Post by srduck »

StevensTechU wrote:Anyone notice during the press conference how Cristobal outlined that there were rules violations basically everywhere he went? lol Some of them were things that happened before he arrived, but man, he really strung violations at Miami-Rutgers-FIU together in a way that didn't sound great.
sorry not sure I am following what the point is. Can you clarify?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk