Ducks practicing at Bishop Gorman high school

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

vegasdom
Three Star Recruit

Ducks practicing at Bishop Gorman high school

Post by vegasdom »

Props to whoever arranged this. Gorman has ranked in the top 15 or so nationally for a long time winning the mythical high school national championship a few years ago. This year they have one 5-star and three 4-star players going to college next year. All are accounted for but I'm sure there are many more in their program who get to watch the Ducks this week.
Duck07
All-American

Re: Ducks practicing at Bishop Gorman high school

Post by Duck07 »

Sure, it's neat but what BG is doing is destroying the parity of high school athletics and they are far from the only ones doing it.
DCfeatherbutt
One Star Recruit

Post by DCfeatherbutt »

Duck07 wrote:Sure, it's neat but what BG is doing is destroying the parity of high school athletics and they are far from the only ones doing it.
I hope the Ducks can destroy the parity of college football. The sooner the better.

My son goes to Liberty HS in Henderson. They have a dominating team that rips other Clark County public schools apart. However, they always get boat raced by Gorman in the finals. Ho hum. Everyone knows it’s coming, we just pull for a contest decided by 21 points or less.
vegasdom
Three Star Recruit

Post by vegasdom »

DCfeatherbutt wrote:
Duck07 wrote:Sure, it's neat but what BG is doing is destroying the parity of high school athletics and they are far from the only ones doing it.
I hope the Ducks can destroy the parity of college football. The sooner the better.

My son goes to Liberty HS in Henderson. They have a dominating team that rips other Clark County public schools apart. However, they always get boat raced by Gorman in the finals. Ho hum. Everyone knows it’s coming, we just pull for a contest decided by 21 points or less.
I went to Gorman. There was a time when we were happy to make the playoffs. They have created a well oiled machine.
pdxduck21
Three Star Recruit

Post by pdxduck21 »

I think it is great that High Schools can establish long runs of success - not sure why that would be bad....Bishop Gorman took a while to get there and have sustained it, good for them. Same with Bosco, Mater Dai, De La Salle etc
Handsome Dan
Four Star Recruit

Post by Handsome Dan »

I don't think the issue is that they have established a well-oiled machine as much as that they have established that well-oiled machine in great part through methods that the public high schools they are beating up on can't employ. If the Pac-12 was set up where USC could give out scholarships but the other eleven schools couldn't, would USC winning the conference every year really be something to celebrate? Same idea here.
vegasdom
Three Star Recruit

Post by vegasdom »

Handsome Dan wrote:I don't think the issue is that they have established a well-oiled machine as much as that they have established that well-oiled machine in great part through methods that the public high schools they are beating up on can't employ. If the Pac-12 was set up where USC could give out scholarships but the other eleven schools couldn't, would USC winning the conference every year really be something to celebrate? Same idea here.
They probably would't have the facilities they have if it were not for a big financial backer. Sound Familiar?
Handsome Dan
Four Star Recruit

Post by Handsome Dan »

I don't mean the facilities as much as I mean their ability to recruit players from out of state and from other Nevada high schools without any sort of penalty. They play by a different set of rules than the public schools they stomp each year for their state title, just like USC in the example is playing by a different set of rules than the other Pac-12 teams. I certainly understand how nice it is to see a team not suck after they sucked for a while, but I don't think there's a lot of meaning or value to be derived from state championships won against schools trying to fight with an arm tied behind their back. Stomping other private schools in interstate high school football, on the other hand...
pdxduck21
Three Star Recruit

Post by pdxduck21 »

Well most don’t recruit from out of state - you see that more in hoops. As for locally, once the school becomes a power kids want to go there, they don’t have to recruit. Take De La Salle - they built the program up with really no big names and then kids from neighboring cities wanted to go there. And can’t speak for all schools but their is financial aid at many and the kids work it off (not counting the Sport)

Plenty of public schools have had good runs (and their share of kids transferring in)