Royce Freeman will sit out the Las Vegas Bowl

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

GrantDuck
Senior

Re: Royce Freeman will sit out the Las Vegas Bowl

Post by GrantDuck »

Really surprised at all the takes here that he should play.

He came back for an extra season and gave it his all. He's also been playing hurt since the Cal game. McCaffery showed draft scouts don't give a damn if he plays in the bowl or not. It's not a meaningful game. It's more or less an exhibition game. I could go on...but if a dude doesn't want to risk millions of dollars to play in a glorified exhibition game, I'm not going to blame him for a second.
Last edited by GrantDuck on Fri Dec 15, 2017 3:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.
brich75
Senior

Post by brich75 »

He came back for his senior year. He easily could have gone out last year. Just be happy we got 12 more games out of him. I don't blame him for sitting 1 bit!
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Post by UOducksTK1 »

Phalanx wrote:
UOducksTK1 wrote:
Would you put your money in stock that I told you would never exceed its current price? Of course not.

Regular season games have more riding on it. Firstly, no game is a guarantee win. It would also affect awards and ones general stats, which is cool for personal achievements and could have a factor on catching the attention of pro scouts.

As a four year starter, Royce literally has 0 to gain. I wouldn't say the same as "worthless" regular season games. There's more riding on them.

Where is this idea coming from that pro scouts watch a night game in the Pacific time zone during the regular season more than they watch a bowl game at 3:30 P.M. eastern on a day when it is universally recognized as the best college football matchup of the entire day? I'm not seeing the basis for that argument at all.

Also, bowl games count on regular season & career stats. That has been true since 2002.

I agree that Royce doesn't have much to gain personally - he is a pretty known quantity at this point.
I'm saying 200 yards during regular season to pad his stats help increase his chance at winning awards, and also makes his overall stats look better throughout the year. By the time you hit a lower tier bowl game in mid-December, no one really cares.

He's done all the work he's needed to prove himself.

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13
Hoagduck
Four Star Recruit

Post by Hoagduck »

Hope it was worth it Royce!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
karlhungis
All Pac-12

Post by karlhungis »

I'm glad the media called him out.
OregonFan4life -
My source just said Chip is officially back!
It will be announced at Autzen press conference tomorrow afternoon!
pdxmallard
Two Star Recruit

Post by pdxmallard »

BSU would have won anyway. Royce sitting out had nothing to do with it.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

The OL had its worst game of the season so Royce would have been getting stuffed just like Benoit and TBJ were.
Alan
Senior

Post by Alan »

Royce made the right decision, and I don't consider a Mac Brown media.
pezsez1
All Pac-12

Post by pezsez1 »

Today's game was a three-hour presentation backing up Royce's decision to sit out.
Willie Taggart is a dick.
UofDuck
Senior

Royce Freeman will sit out the Las Vegas Bowl

Post by UofDuck »

I love Royce, but he made a poor decision. Team goals over individual goals, period. All three of the half-time analysts and Herbie are not at all supportive of this new trend and I totally agree. Why was he allowed to give the pre-game speech in a game he wasn’t willing to play in? Stupid and soft on the coaches part.
UofDuck
Senior

Post by UofDuck »

pezsez1 wrote:Today's game was a three-hour presentation backing up Royce's decision to sit out.
How in the hell do you connect those dots?
pdxmallard
Two Star Recruit

Post by pdxmallard »

Why expect Royce to care about this game more than everyone else? This game was only important to the fans, and to the Boise State Broncos.
karlhungis
All Pac-12

Post by karlhungis »

pdxmallard wrote:Why expect Royce to care about this game more than everyone else? This game was only important to the fans, and to the Boise State Broncos.
Why expect the rest of the team to care about the game when their senior leader doesn't think it's worth playing in?
OregonFan4life -
My source just said Chip is officially back!
It will be announced at Autzen press conference tomorrow afternoon!
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

If he had decided after the Civil War that he was skipping the rest of the season I think it would have been much better. He went and practiced all week and then made the decision and I think there had to have been a psychological effect for the team on top of being down a coach on staff and all the drama with the changes.

On a side note, Tanner Carew is the #1 ranked Long Snapper on ESPN's board which would give him a chance at being drafted in the 7th round.
nogerO
Senior

Anyone still think

Post by nogerO »

Royce sitting out was a good idea. Just reinforced my opinion that it was the wrong move.
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice the gift." - Steve Prefontaine