Royce Freeman will sit out the Las Vegas Bowl

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

Phenom
All Pac-12

Re: Royce Freeman will sit out the Las Vegas Bowl

Post by Phenom »

FlDuckFan wrote:
DuckMastaFunk wrote:If he is healthy I don't agree with this decision. Football is a team sport. He should be playing for his teammates.

I know my comment will be unpopular. Sorry guys.
Want an unpopular opinion?

I think Royce was over rated this year. He rarely ran tough and often times would turn to his side to get tackled instead of dishing it out. Another issue is that a significant percentage of his runs ended with him falling to the ground before he was even touched by a defender or when they touched his legs. Benoit and TBJ ran harder through contact than Royce did the majority of the time.
He's been overrated for his entire career...he's very good but not at J-Stew's or LMJ's level.
Phenom
All Pac-12

Post by Phenom »

Phalanx wrote:
DuckMastaFunk wrote:If he is healthy I don't agree with this decision. Football is a team sport. He should be playing for his teammates.

I do think it should be his decision. Running back in particular is a position that takes a lot of punishment, and if he feels like his name is out there enough and playing in the bowl won't help his profile, I guess I understand that from his perspective. When players aren't getting paid, it should be a mutually beneficial thing. Royce has been an outstanding duck, and really - nobody is going to remember the Las Vegas bowl.

I just wish he had skipped the Civil War instead or something.
Remember when J-Stew killed Leavitt's USF defense in the Sun Bowl? I do.
FlDuckFan
All Pac-12
GM: Orlando Magic GM

Post by FlDuckFan »

Phenom wrote:
Phalanx wrote:

I do think it should be his decision. Running back in particular is a position that takes a lot of punishment, and if he feels like his name is out there enough and playing in the bowl won't help his profile, I guess I understand that from his perspective. When players aren't getting paid, it should be a mutually beneficial thing. Royce has been an outstanding duck, and really - nobody is going to remember the Las Vegas bowl.

Remember when J-Stew killed Leavitt's USF defense in the Sun Bowl? I do.
I do too.
GrandpaDuck
Senior

Post by GrandpaDuck »

Phalanx wrote:

He had a TD record to break in the Civil War and Coaches bonuses, the games before all impacted his team's Bowl eligibility. The Bowl has the least meaning of any game on the schedule and has the least amount of recuperation time before the NFL Combine should he get dinged up.

Also the Civil War is a bigger game than the Bowl Game. Losing to OSU twice in a row would be devastating.
midwestduck82
Three Star Recruit

Post by midwestduck82 »

This is the right move. I would hate to see him pull a Jake Butt. I have confidence in Brooks-james, Benoit, and Felix. I hope Benoit's last game is noteworthy. He has never been in the spotlight but has averaged 6.2 YPC.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lkl2AeFwXZ8
I wish there were more Benoit highlights.
karlhungis
All Pac-12

Post by karlhungis »

Phenom wrote:Great opportunity for Benoit.

Whatever, Royce, I get it, but I don't have to like. I would consider doing the same if I was in his position, BTW, but it's not like he's gonna be a 1st rounder.
I'd be shocked if he is a first rounder.
OregonFan4life -
My source just said Chip is officially back!
It will be announced at Autzen press conference tomorrow afternoon!
GoDuckYourself
Three Star Recruit

Post by GoDuckYourself »

Anyone know if TBJ will be available?
Duck24
Senior

Post by Duck24 »

karlhungis wrote:
Phenom wrote:Great opportunity for Benoit.

Whatever, Royce, I get it, but I don't have to like. I would consider doing the same if I was in his position, BTW, but it's not like he's gonna be a 1st rounder.
I'd be shocked if he is a first rounder.
More than likely a mid-round pick. Even as a 4th round pick, he’d probably net a $500k signing bonus and 4 year contract in the $2-3M range. Why risk that to play in a meaningless game?
desertfan
Three Star Recruit

Post by desertfan »

Great decision by Royce, the health and career of football players is just far too volatile; especially for the running backs. A low tier bowl game like the Las Vegas bowl is not worth the risk of a career altering injury, especially against a notoriously dirty team like boise. Give them hell at the next level Rolls Royce its been a pleasure watching you do your thing at Oregon.

I look forward to Kani Benoit going off on the bsu defense.
Phalanx
Senior

Post by Phalanx »

GrandpaDuck wrote:
He had a TD record to break in the Civil War and Coaches bonuses, the games before all impacted his team's Bowl eligibility. The Bowl has the least meaning of any game on the schedule and has the least amount of recuperation time before the NFL Combine should he get dinged up.

Also the Civil War is a bigger game than the Bowl Game. Losing to OSU twice in a row would be devastating.
I don't think the outcome of the Civil War was ever in doubt with a healthy Herbert, and no, I don't agree that the bowl has the least meaning of any game - in fact, it's quite the opposite in my view - depending on how one defines 'meaning' in association with a football game. A good showing vs. Boise State will be a launching pad into next season, and the ducks might even end up ranked if they were able to put a curb-stomping on the broncos.

The recuperation time before the combine is a valid point, if one is afraid of an injury. I do note, however, that Royce has accepted an invitation to the Senior Bowl, which is Jan 27th, only a month before the combine starts. So that might not be a consistent argument either.

Oh well, like I said, it's up to him.
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

I wish him all the best as he's been nothing but a class act his whole time here but that doesn't stop me from thinking this is a chicken sh^& move regardless of his draft stock.
Duckattack7
Five Star Recruit

Post by Duckattack7 »

With our history vs Boise State I’m not surprised and was honestly expecting this. Thanks for everything big guy!
Return Of the Quack!
nogerO
Senior

Post by nogerO »

I agree with you. Sorry too.
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice the gift." - Steve Prefontaine
Alan
Senior

Post by Alan »

You guys hating his decisions should rethink things. I'm 100% for his decision for many reasons, Willie was one of the reasons he came back for his senior season,..... Willie baled without a second thought, Willie makes millions...... time for Royce to cash in. This is a meaningless game, hope we win, but.....it means little in the big picture. Next reason...Efo.... one bad cut and knee is gone and you're done. He will make a couple of million, smart decision, not a surprise... he made the right decision! Period
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

Alan wrote:You guys hating his decisions should rethink things.
Nope.