Royce Freeman will sit out the Las Vegas Bowl

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

Alan
Senior

Re: Royce Freeman will sit out the Las Vegas Bowl

Post by Alan »

Duck24 wrote:
neezy3 wrote:Why is Royce playing in the Senior Bowl then if he's worried about contact and injury? Just another great example of the me first millennial generation attitude. If I was a GM or scout I'd be looking for guys who love to play the game, not just there to collect a paycheck. If you're a first or second round pick I can deal with the decision but he'll be lucky to go in the third and more likely going around the 5th round. Best of luck to Mr Freeman just seems like he's quitting on his school and teammates.
Awful take.

Participating in the Senior Bowl makes way more sense than a meaningless game. The Senior Bowl and the week leading up to it is attended by hoards of NFL scouts, coaches, GM’s, personnel guys and so on. They can see him up close and personal, in pads, run him through drills in as close to a game style situation as possible. Yes the risk of injury is there but the reward of a great week at the Senior Bowl is much greater than a great Las Vegas Bowl. He has given four record breaking years to the Ducks, he owes them nothing more. His teammates and coaches support him, why can’t you?
I didn't think about all the NFL networking done at the senior bowl, makes sense now.
GrandpaDuck
Senior

Post by GrandpaDuck »

Alan wrote:
Duck24 wrote:
neezy3 wrote:Why is Royce playing in the Senior Bowl then if he's worried about contact and injury? Just another great example of the me first millennial generation attitude. If I was a GM or scout I'd be looking for guys who love to play the game, not just there to collect a paycheck. If you're a first or second round pick I can deal with the decision but he'll be lucky to go in the third and more likely going around the 5th round. Best of luck to Mr Freeman just seems like he's quitting on his school and teammates.
Awful take.

Participating in the Senior Bowl makes way more sense than a meaningless game. The Senior Bowl and the week leading up to it is attended by hoards of NFL scouts, coaches, GM’s, personnel guys and so on. They can see him up close and personal, in pads, run him through drills in as close to a game style situation as possible. Yes the risk of injury is there but the reward of a great week at the Senior Bowl is much greater than a great Las Vegas Bowl. He has given four record breaking years to the Ducks, he owes them nothing more. His teammates and coaches support him, why can’t you?
I didn't think about all the NFL networking done at the senior bowl, makes sense now.
Carson Wentz made a small fortune with hs Senior Bowl appearance. His potential was known and the combine would just reinforce what was already known about his physical attributes. It was showing he belonged with the P5 allstars at the Senior Bowl that was cited repeatedly as making the Eagles feel safe about sending away a King's Ransom in draft picks to get him.
Juice
Four Star Recruit

Post by Juice »

Guy paid his dues, put a lot of miles on his body over his career, stuck around for his senior year when he should have gone and put in work this season (even during the burmiester stretch when he saw stacked boxes every game and still registered multiple 100yd games)

Honestly both he and Crosby should sit. Both guys put in work this year, got us back to a bowl game and their entire career have been true MEN OF OREGON.

They have earned the right to make this decision and you can agree or disagree with it, but you are corny AF if you are casting either of them out as not being team first guys.
Last edited by Juice on Fri Dec 15, 2017 11:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Phalanx
Senior

Post by Phalanx »

Juice wrote:Guy paid his dues, put a lot of miles on his body over his career, stuck around for his senior year when he should have gone and put in work this season (even during the burmiester stretch when he saw stacked boxes every game and still registered multiple 100yd games)

Honestly both he and Crosby should sit. Both guys put in work this year, got us back to a bowl game and their entire career have been true MEN OF OREGON.

They have earned the right to make this decision and you can agree or disagree with it, but you are corny AF if you are casting either of them out as not being team first.
You make an important point about the miles that I think some might be missing. I think it is at least possible that LaMichael's NFL career was affected by how much punishment he took in college, and that seems to be true for other heavily-used backs as well. I think Royce definitely is above reproach in terms of how much blood he gave for the team. Dude didn't even have to come back this year. This is not a team first decision, but it isn't a stain on Royce at all, IMO. I would just have rather had him for this game than some of the stinkers he ended up playing in where we had no QB and no chance to win, and teams were stacking the box and making it even more difficult for the running backs. And the people who think this bowl game is low profile and NFL people aren't watching are definitely wrong. Any game Herbert plays in from here on out is going to be scrutinized, now that he has been 'discovered'. On the other hand, if I am an NFL scout, I might be looking at a four-year, heavily-used back and wondering if he had anything left. So Royce has to think about that as well.
On a side note, I think it is possible that the media was instrumental in convincing him not to play. They have been badgering him non-stop about this since the minute the Civil War was in the books. I don't think he had actually considered not playing before that point. He seemed bewildered by the question in the interview after beating the beavers.
Phenom
All Pac-12

Post by Phenom »

Phalanx wrote:
Juice wrote:Guy paid his dues, put a lot of miles on his body over his career, stuck around for his senior year when he should have gone and put in work this season (even during the burmiester stretch when he saw stacked boxes every game and still registered multiple 100yd games)

They have earned the right to make this decision and you can agree or disagree with it, but you are corny AF if you are casting either of them out as not being team first.
You make an important point about the miles that I think some might be missing. I think it is at least possible that LaMichael's NFL career was affected by how much punishment he took in college, and that seems to be true for other heavily-used backs as well. I think Royce definitely is above reproach in terms of how much blood he gave for the team. Dude didn't even have to come back this year. This is not a team first decision, but it isn't a stain on Royce at all, IMO. I would just have rather had him for this game than some of the stinkers he ended up playing in where we had no QB and no chance to win, and teams were stacking the box and making it even more difficult for the running backs. And the people who think this bowl game is low profile and NFL people aren't watching are definitely wrong. Any game Herbert plays in from here on out is going to be scrutinized, now that he has been 'discovered'. On the other hand, if I am an NFL scout, I might be looking at a four-year, heavily-used back and wondering if he had anything left. So Royce has to think about that as well.
On a side note, I think it is possible that the media was instrumental in convincing him not to play. They have been badgering him non-stop about this since the minute the Civil War was in the books. I don't think he had actually considered not playing before that point. He seemed bewildered by the question in the interview after beating the beavers.
LaMichael's career was hurt because he couldn't catch, hold on to the ball, and had a shitty attitude. He himself says that he wished he had come back for a senior year.
5$
Five Star Recruit

Post by 5$ »

Redshirt players should be able to play in the bowl game at the end of their RS year. That would encourage RS players to work hard all year to earn a chance to play in a bowl game.
UofDuck
Senior

Post by UofDuck »

My issue with a lot of you is, “this is a worthless bowl”. That is the crux of the issue. By that standard, aren’t all games worthless? Or the last half of a season once you lose a few? Where does it stop. In my book this is a great chance for someone who loves his team to go out with a bang. I do not like this recent trend and I do see it as self centered.
karlhungis
All Pac-12

Post by karlhungis »

UofDuck wrote:My issue with a lot of you is, “this is a worthless bowl”. That is the crux of the issue. By that standard, aren’t all games worthless? Or the last half of a season once you lose a few? Where does it stop. In my book this is a great chance for someone who loves his team to go out with a bang. I do not like this recent trend and I do see it as self centered.
I'm with you.
OregonFan4life -
My source just said Chip is officially back!
It will be announced at Autzen press conference tomorrow afternoon!
pezsez1
All Pac-12

Post by pezsez1 »

Royce Freeman deserves the chance to call his own shots, especially given the way Willie used him as an excuse to skip game planning while Herbert was sidelined.
Willie Taggart is a dick.
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Post by UOducksTK1 »

UofDuck wrote:My issue with a lot of you is, “this is a worthless bowl”. That is the crux of the issue. By that standard, aren’t all games worthless? Or the last half of a season once you lose a few? Where does it stop. In my book this is a great chance for someone who loves his team to go out with a bang. I do not like this recent trend and I do see it as self centered.
Would you put your money in stock that I told you would never exceed its current price? Of course not.

Regular season games have more riding on it. Firstly, no game is a guarantee win. It would also affect awards and ones general stats, which is cool for personal achievements and could have a factor on catching the attention of pro scouts.

As a four year starter, Royce literally has 0 to gain. I wouldn't say the same as "worthless" regular season games. There's more riding on them.

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13
Phalanx
Senior

Post by Phalanx »

UOducksTK1 wrote:
Would you put your money in stock that I told you would never exceed its current price? Of course not.

Regular season games have more riding on it. Firstly, no game is a guarantee win. It would also affect awards and ones general stats, which is cool for personal achievements and could have a factor on catching the attention of pro scouts.

As a four year starter, Royce literally has 0 to gain. I wouldn't say the same as "worthless" regular season games. There's more riding on them.

Where is this idea coming from that pro scouts watch a night game in the Pacific time zone during the regular season more than they watch a bowl game at 3:30 P.M. eastern on a day when it is universally recognized as the best college football matchup of the entire day? I'm not seeing the basis for that argument at all.

Also, bowl games count on regular season & career stats. That has been true since 2002.

I agree that Royce doesn't have much to gain personally - he is a pretty known quantity at this point.
Phenom
All Pac-12

Post by Phenom »

pezsez1 wrote:Royce Freeman deserves the chance to call his own shots, especially given the way Willie used him as an excuse to skip game planning while Herbert was sidelined.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
srduck
Three Star Recruit

Post by srduck »

Phenom wrote:
Phalanx wrote:

LaMichael's career was hurt because he couldn't catch, hold on to the ball, and had a shitty attitude. He himself says that he wished he had come back for a senior year.
absolutely true. His behavior in SF was pretty bad. It was pretty well known he was a big time problem
In the locker room.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Phalanx
Senior

Post by Phalanx »

His behavior was bad because he wasn't playing. He wasn't playing for other reasons...and I still think one of them was that he was overworked in college. It takes its toll on these running backs to have so many carries. Just my opinion, but I do note that the majority of the top college rushers of all time had disappointing careers in the NFL. I don't think that is a coincidence.
UofDuck
Senior

Royce Freeman will sit out the Las Vegas Bowl

Post by UofDuck »

UOducksTK1 wrote:

Your stock analogy nailed it. The self centered guy says I’ll personally get nothing out of playing in this game. No gain for me. The team player says, a win will help the team in their goal to climb out of last year’s stock crash, and Oregon’s stock will rise. I’ll join my brothers in the effort. The fans that have been following me will be stoked if we can beat BSU. I can make a difference for my team.

If I’m a pro scout, that matters.