OC Position

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

picksix
Three Star Recruit

OC Position

Post by picksix »

I was onboard with Mario getting a shot at HC and still feel the same about that. I am willing to give him a few years to recruit his players and the vision he has for this program. What I'm not sure of is giving the OC job to Arroyo? I will leave too people far more knowledgeable than I in regards to Offensive Coordinator position, but maybe we need to bring in an offensive Coordinator. Did Arroyo call all the plays at the Las Vegas Bowl. It wasn't hard for Boise St. to figure out every time # 30 Redd came in to the game at rb that it was going to be a jet sweep. Hopefully we see alot more balance in play calling next year.
Duck24
Senior

Re: OC Position

Post by Duck24 »

picksix wrote:I was onboard with Mario getting a shot at HC and still feel the same about that. I am willing to give him a few years to recruit his players and the vision he has for this program. What I'm not sure of is giving the OC job to Arroyo? I will leave too people far more knowledgeable than I in regards to Offensive Coordinator position, but maybe we need to bring in an offensive Coordinator. Did Arroyo call all the plays at the Las Vegas Bowl. It wasn't hard for Boise St. to figure out every time # 30 Redd came in to the game at rb that it was going to be a jet sweep. Hopefully we see alot more balance in play calling next year.
Hard to be an effective play caller when your OL was playing so bad they’d struggle to block a HS team.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

BSU's defense is similar to WSU's in that they're undersized compared to Oregon's OL, but used their speed to cause problems up front.
FlDuckFan
All Pac-12
GM: Orlando Magic GM

Post by FlDuckFan »

Don't forget that Arroyo was handcuffed by Taggarts playbook. Give him time to get his plays in and get accustomed to calling plays.
SuperDuck
Senior

Post by SuperDuck »

greenyellow wrote:BSU's defense is similar to WSU's in that they're undersized compared to Oregon's OL, but used their speed to cause problems up front.
This may have been their exact game plan. That LB BSU has may be better than "Hercules" from WSU. That guy was a beast!
John 3:36
pdxduck2013
Five Star Recruit

Post by pdxduck2013 »

I think Arroyo will still be "Co-OC" next season. My hope is that we have him coaching TE's and bring in someone like David Yost to call plays.
GoDucksIn09
Senior

Post by GoDucksIn09 »

Boise state owning the LOS and Oregon continuing to get penalties is the biggest reason Oregon was down 24-0. Throw in the turnovers and Oregon had no chance. I take nothing away from Boise state. Oregon can look in the mirror and point the finger at themselves as to why they lost. I think the offensive line was the biggest reason. Penalties, lack of consistency in running game, turnovers can all be attributed to them. Not sure it would matter who called the plays.
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

That also was probably Herbert's worst game as a Duck. Dude started out by not being able to hit the ocean, and he missed a lot of open WR down field. And TBJ basically gave Boise 7 points off his fumble and cost us at least 3 points on his stupid penalty when we were driving in Boise territory.
Alan
Senior

Post by Alan »

I don’t look at the Boise State game as a representative of what this coaching staff can do. Don’t forget all the distractions of the ducks had between the Civil War and the Vegas Bowl. Willie jumpimg ship in a short period of time. Willie lying to players recruits and staff. Uncertainty about the future coaching staff. Finals week. The whole Vegas party. And while I support him on his decision Royce sitting out with distraction also. The uncertainty of coaching staff. All things considered this game did not mean anything or count in my eyes.
Groundswell
Four Star Recruit

Post by Groundswell »

Before the Arroyo to OC was made official, I was arguing that we needed to bring in another proven OC to work with him as co-OC. One up in the booth, and the other down on the field. I still think we should do that. Putting Arroyo in charge alone is a mistake, imo. From the rumors, we're going to hire an OL coach, and we'll need a RB coach. Generally, OL coaches aren't offensive wizards, so it looks like the spot to add someone would be at the RB coach position.

I think we have to kiss goodbye the notion of Oregon as an offensive innovator and high octane offensive show. I just think that identity is gone. I'd like to be wrong about that though. Last thing I want is to watch a "balanced" SEC offense every week.
GoDucksIn09
Senior

Post by GoDucksIn09 »

In some sense there is nothing wrong with balance. Chip Kelly in his system could beat you either throwing or running. There were teams that could or would stop one of his options but very few that could stop both. I do get what you are saying about the SEC schools and it is quite boring to watch their games. I am just merely saying that teams that can beat you running or passing are very hard to beat. We saw games where teams would defend the pass and Oregon would just run the ball and beat them. We saw teams load up the box and Oregon would throw the ball and beat ya. The ability to do both is why Oregon was so lethal in 2010. Kelly was to stubborn in the championship game and left points on the field instead of putting them on the scoreboard.
stlDUCKfan
Pac-12 Prediction Winner!

Post by stlDUCKfan »

So was Arroyo made OC just for the bowl game? I just didn’t know if it was more of an interim thing and they had the plan to hire another co-oc after the bowl or if he was going to be the guy going forward. You really can’t take that away from him at this point if he was made OC without the “co” tag after one (bad) game.
duckfan22
Senior

Post by duckfan22 »

watch teams like Bama and Clemson both are very balanced. Georgia wants to run and run
but they do have a passing game as well. What those teams also have is a physical pressence.
Listen to Mario he says he wants explosive plays. Arroyo spent time with Okie state. They play fast.
I dont think were going to see a under center style offense but i do believe we see more aggressive run game.

At the end of the day for me would i rather see a balanced offense that hits teams in the
teeth and wins a national championships or a Chip Kelly play fast and exciting and does not win
national titles. To beat the bamas and the Osu's you have to be more physical. Just my take.
maxduck
Senior

Post by maxduck »

stlDUCKfan wrote:So was Arroyo made OC just for the bowl game? I just didn’t know if it was more of an interim thing and they had the plan to hire another co-oc after the bowl or if he was going to be the guy going forward. You really can’t take that away from him at this point if he was made OC without the “co” tag after one (bad) game.
Arroyo called the presence of Justin Herbert "an important factor" in his decision to stay at Oregon, where he will be the lone offensive coordinator and play-caller in 2018 under coach Mario Cristobal, with whom he'd shared OC duties this season.

http://www.oregonlive.com/ducks/index.s ... orego.html

Obviously this doesn't preclude Arroyo getting valuable input from the rest of the offensive staff.
Phenom
All Pac-12

Post by Phenom »

If we're honest with ourselves, Herbert looked like BB in the first half.