StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Re: Where my Scott Frost haters at?

Post by StevensTechU »

GrandpaDuck wrote:
woundedknees wrote:
StevensTechU wrote:
GrantDuck wrote:
We actually managed alright with Alie/Lockie with Frost as OC.
Not even a little bit.
I actually just managed to not snort coffee out my nose... Does that count?

I was actually taking a drink when I read that, too!
My reaction too, until I went to look up the facts to rub Grantduck's nose in it, only to be stunned that he is actually right. VA missed 3 starts. The backups won 2 and lost the other one in overtime putting up 61, 41 and 38 points with back-up quarterbacks. I bow before Grantduck and Frost.
61 against Georgia State (6-7 record)
20 against Utah (10-3)
41 against Colorado (4-9)
31 (regulation) against Wazzu (9-4)

I can't recall if Frost was OC in the Alamo bowl, so I left that out.

Definitely better than I expected, but the 13 points scored against Utah (last TD was a garbage time score) and Wazzu games are the only ones that give us any insight. Georgia State and Colorado were push overs.
Phenom
All Pac-12

Post by Phenom »

StevensTechU wrote:
GrandpaDuck wrote:
woundedknees wrote:
StevensTechU wrote:
GrantDuck wrote:
Not even a little bit.

My reaction too, until I went to look up the facts to rub Grantduck's nose in it, only to be stunned that he is actually right. VA missed 3 starts. The backups won 2 and lost the other one in overtime putting up 61, 41 and 38 points with back-up quarterbacks. I bow before Grantduck and Frost.
20 against Utah (10-3)

Definitely better than I expected, but the 13 points scored against Utah (last TD was a garbage time score) and Wazzu games are the only ones that give us any insight. Georgia State and Colorado were push overs.
Frost was not the OC in the Alamo Bowl.
pezsez1
All Pac-12

Post by pezsez1 »

the 13 points scored against Utah (last TD was a garbage time score) and Wazzu games are the only ones that give us any insight. Georgia State and Colorado were push overs.
Exactly. Heck, even Braxton Burmeister's offense dropped 41 points on Utah this past season. A team with Oregon's weapons can bowl over a pushover with crappy QB play. Context is everything.
Willie Taggart is a dick.
GrandpaDuck
Senior

Post by GrandpaDuck »

StevensTechU wrote:
GrandpaDuck wrote:
woundedknees wrote:
StevensTechU wrote:
GrantDuck wrote:
Not even a little bit.

20 against Utah (10-3)

VA took the first team practice reps and started against Utah but was pulled because he was so ineffective. So I didn't count that against the backups

People still talk about the Oregon offense this year putting up +40 per game with Herbert starting when everyone of those games except BSU were against horrid defenses. The better than 60th P5 defenses stuffed Oregon regardless of who was QB. Still I feel Herbert 's performances were alright despite the competition, so I'll do the same for Frost's backups. They did much better than people other than Grantduck remember.
pezsez1
All Pac-12

Post by pezsez1 »

I'm sorry, but Lockie and Allie were terrible. We were fortunate they faced some creampuffs rather than the gauntlet Braxton went through this year.

But Lockie and Allie were SO BAD, that when VA went down near halftime of the Alamo Bowl, I remember legit thinking to myself "thank god we're up by 40, or we might lose this."

Turns out, 40 wasn't enough, lol.

That said... I don't want my message to be "I think Frost sucked because he couldn't do anything with Allie and Lockie." As I said above, I think Frost was a decent (but flawed) OC who didn't show that he'd earned the right to be HC.

Take that in a vacuum... I'm not trying to make comparisons between him and other coaches. (The same concerns could be said about Cristoball, but that's not what this thread is about.) Just saying, it's easy to look back on Frost with rose-colored glasses, especially after Helfrich turned out to be so wrong for the job. Frost hadn't earned it, though, and it was only a matter of time before he took over at Nebraska anyway.
Willie Taggart is a dick.
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

OregonFan4Life wrote:
buckmarkduck wrote:
OregonFan4Life wrote:
lukeyrid13 wrote:I was a bit critical of him at the time(4 years ago) but in hindsight, I think Helf was the weak link that most of us hadn't fully grasped yet. For me, I came around on Frost and would have loved to have gotten him but the timing of our opening and Taggart leaving so late in the cycle made it impossible.
This is spot on, I tried saying this when everyone blamed DP and Hoke, but in reality Helf was the big problem. If Frost and Helf switched roles we’d be a lot better off right now.
Helfrich had zero to do with the D. Both Hoke and Pellum are just that bad.
You don’t really think a head coach has zero to do with the D do you?
I know for a fact Mike Leach doesn't even talk to the defence. Now I'd bet Helfrich was a tad more hands on, but game planning ands anything like that he wasn't much involved. Outside of the hiring and making the stupid decision to go to the 4-3 with Hoke, the blame for the crappy D falls on all 3 guys.
GrandpaDuck
Senior

Post by GrandpaDuck »

pezsez1 wrote:I'm sorry, but Lockie and Allie were terrible. We were fortunate they faced some creampuffs rather than the gauntlet Braxton went through this year.

But Lockie and Allie were SO BAD, that when VA went down near halftime of the Alamo Bowl, I remember legit thinking to myself "thank god we're up by 40, or we might lose this."

Turns out, 40 wasn't enough, lol.

That said... I don't want my message to be "I think Frost sucked because he couldn't do anything with Allie and Lockie." As I said above, I think Frost was a decent (but flawed) OC who didn't show that he'd earned the right to be HC.

Take that in a vacuum... I'm not trying to make comparisons between him and other coaches. (The same concerns could be said about Cristoball, but that's not what this thread is about.) Just saying, it's easy to look back on Frost with rose-colored glasses, especially after Helfrich turned out to be so wrong for the job. Frost hadn't earned it, though, and it was only a matter of time before he took over at Nebraska anyway.
Sweet Baby Raptor {Insert your favorite deity here}. When Herbert played against all those "creampuffs" and did well he wasn't trashed. Gives players credit against who the schedule puts them up against when the coach throws them out there.

Fielding ground balls wasn't Lockie's biggest strength, but it was on the coaches to come up with something when it was obvious Brenner had an unbreakable case of the yips. And Frost was gone at that point.

At the time, and I posted it I thought Frost would be better than Helfrich as head coach, but as he hadn't been a coordinator yet Frost was third on my list of "if you insist on hiring from within" candidates behind Allioti and Greatwood. Helfrich was fourth.
jimmy12
Senior

Post by jimmy12 »

GrantDuck wrote:Remember all the criticism he took online at Oregon? :lol:

Always had top 10 offenses under him. Think he deserves some credit for that, especially under Helfrich when he called plays.
Somewhere not ending sentences in "at."
Juice
Four Star Recruit

Post by Juice »

StevensTechU wrote:
GrandpaDuck wrote:
woundedknees wrote:
StevensTechU wrote:
GrantDuck wrote:
Not even a little bit.

20 against Utah (10-3)

He abandoned the run in that Wazzu game, even though Royce had a career high 240-something yards.. we were up 10 and he stopped running the ball with royce. Regardless of how shitbox our defense was for blowing a 10-point lead at home w/ like 4-5 minutes remaining, if he runs the ball we don't lose the first of 3 straight to the cougs.