Ducks #23 in Athlon Way-Too-Early Top 25 (& #24 in Mandel's)

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

duckfan22
Senior

Re: Ducks #23 in Athlon Way-Too-Early Top 25

Post by duckfan22 »

Juice wrote:
OregonFan4Life wrote:
Bud Lee wrote:Sept. 1 Bowling Green WIN
Sept. 8 Portland State WIN
Sept. 15 San Jose State WIN
Sept. 22 Stanford LOSE
Sept. 29 at California WIN
Oct. 6 OPEN
Oct. 13 Washington WIN
Oct. 20 at Washington State LOSE
Oct. 27 at Arizona WIN
Nov. 3 UCLA WIN
Nov. 10 at Utah WIN
Nov. 17 Arizona State WIN
Nov. 23 (Fri.) at Oregon State WIN
Seeing that lousy schedule, Oregon could go undefeated and still not make the playoffs. If they go undefeated (which I highly doubt they do), they’ll need USC to also be highly ranked in the conference championship game. What a bad schedule.
lol that's a bit of an overreaction. It's a bad schedule no doubt, but we will finish top 4 if we go undefeated.

of4l over reaction ? no way? (said in my most sarcastic voice) its a weak schedule but if they
beat the huskies then they go to the playoffs.
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Post by UOducksTK1 »

Ya if we win out, we will make the playoffs. We won't win out though. I even think bud's predictions are somewhat gracious.

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13
OregonFan4Life
All-American

Post by OregonFan4Life »

Wisconsin was undefeated the entire regular season and didn’t touch the top 4. The only reason they had a chance was because they went up against a very good Ohio State in the championship. If Oregon goes undefeated with that weak schedule and then goes up against a mediocre PAC-12 south team like they did against UCLA in 2011, and if the PAC-12 does bad in their OOC schedule, I definitely could see the committee keeping Oregon out.
karlhungis
All Pac-12

Post by karlhungis »

We aren't going undefeated.
OregonFan4life -
My source just said Chip is officially back!
It will be announced at Autzen press conference tomorrow afternoon!
Duck24
Senior

Post by Duck24 »

Oregon is getting that love based solely off of having a likely/potential 1st round QB. Matt Miller on Twitter has already said he is QB1 in the class of 2019.
woundedknees
All-American

Post by woundedknees »

Duck24 wrote:Oregon is getting that love based solely off of having a likely/potential 1st round QB. Matt Miller on Twitter has already said he is QB1 in the class of 2019.
A lot depends on who, if anybody, signs on at wr, and how quickly they bond with Herbert/Shough.
Autzen Stadium... Where great teams go to die...Hard!

Greenblood
Senior

Post by Greenblood »

OregonFan4Life wrote:Wisconsin was undefeated the entire regular season and didn’t touch the top 4. The only reason they had a chance was because they went up against a very good Ohio State in the championship. If Oregon goes undefeated with that weak schedule and then goes up against a mediocre PAC-12 south team like they did against UCLA in 2011, and if the PAC-12 does bad in their OOC schedule, I definitely could see the committee keeping Oregon out.
Looks like Wisconsin was in the top 4 at the end of the regular season to me (see week 13): http://collegefootballplayoff.com/rankings.aspx

There's virtually no chance that an undefeated Pac-12 champion doesn't get into the CFP.
OregonFan4Life
All-American

Post by OregonFan4Life »

Greenblood wrote:
OregonFan4Life wrote:Wisconsin was undefeated the entire regular season and didn’t touch the top 4. The only reason they had a chance was because they went up against a very good Ohio State in the championship. If Oregon goes undefeated with that weak schedule and then goes up against a mediocre PAC-12 south team like they did against UCLA in 2011, and if the PAC-12 does bad in their OOC schedule, I definitely could see the committee keeping Oregon out.
Looks like Wisconsin was in the top 4 at the end of the regular season to me (see week 13): http://collegefootballplayoff.com/rankings.aspx

There's virtually no chance that an undefeated Pac-12 champion doesn't get into the CFP.
I stand corrected, for some reason I thought Bama was 4 and Wisconsin was 5 at week 13. But despite that, I will stand by what I originally said about that schedule. But I will say this, if Oregon has 1 loss they definitely won’t get in, there will be a lot of other 1 loss teams with tougher schedules the committee would put in.
UofO8
Senior

Post by UofO8 »

OregonFan4Life wrote:
Sept. 22 Stanford LOSE
Oct. 6 OPEN
Oct. 13 Washington WIN
Oct. 27 at Arizona WIN
Nov. 3 UCLA WIN
Nov. 10 at Utah WIN
Seeing that lousy schedule, Oregon could go undefeated and still not make the playoffs. If they go undefeated (which I highly doubt they do), they’ll need USC to also be highly ranked in the conference championship game. What a bad schedule.
No P5 team would go undefeated and be left out of the playoffs.
Sept. 1 Bowling Green WIN
Sept. 22 Stanford LOSE
Oct. 6 OPEN
Oct. 13 Washington WIN
Oct. 27 at Arizona WIN
Nov. 3 UCLA WIN
Nov. 10 at Utah WIN
I don't know how we lose to wazzu. They lose their veteran QB, their RB and their awesome DC, which is really what has bumped them the last couple years. I expect them to kind of be ass next year.
Duck24
Senior

Post by Duck24 »

UofO8 wrote:
OregonFan4Life wrote:
Sept. 22 Stanford LOSE
Oct. 6 OPEN
Oct. 13 Washington WIN
Oct. 27 at Arizona WIN
Nov. 3 UCLA WIN
Nov. 10 at Utah WIN
Sept. 1 Bowling Green WIN
Sept. 22 Stanford LOSE
Oct. 6 OPEN
Oct. 13 Washington WIN
Oct. 27 at Arizona WIN
Nov. 3 UCLA WIN
Nov. 10 at Utah WIN
I don't know how we lose to wazzu. They lose their veteran QB, their RB and their awesome DC, which is really what has bumped them the last couple years. I expect them to kind of be ass next year.
And their two most productive WR who Leach ran off.
Bud Lee
All Pac-12

Post by Bud Lee »

UofO8 wrote:
OregonFan4Life wrote:
Sept. 22 Stanford LOSE
Oct. 6 OPEN
Oct. 13 Washington WIN
Oct. 27 at Arizona WIN
Nov. 3 UCLA WIN
Nov. 10 at Utah WIN
I wouldn't be too sure about that. With no Power 5 OOC games I can see he committee putting a one lose team with a stronger schedule in that passes the "eye test". Of course if the rest of the PAC 12 looks strong next year I don't see it happening , problem is the PAC is looking really soft right now.
Bud Lee
All Pac-12

Post by Bud Lee »

UOducksTK1 wrote:Ya if we win out, we will make the playoffs. We won't win out though. I even think bud's predictions are somewhat gracious.
I'm a optimist at heart :D
StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Post by StevensTechU »

Bud Lee wrote:
UofO8 wrote:
OregonFan4Life wrote:
Sept. 22 Stanford LOSE
Oct. 6 OPEN
Oct. 13 Washington WIN
Oct. 27 at Arizona WIN
Nov. 3 UCLA WIN
Nov. 10 at Utah WIN
I wouldn't be too sure about that. With no Power 5 OOC games I can see he committee putting a one lose team with a stronger schedule in that passes the "eye test". Of course if the rest of the PAC 12 looks strong next year I don't see it happening , problem is the PAC is looking really soft right now.
Schedule is overrated. Alabama got in over Ohio State because of a better record and brand. Those things beat out strength of schedule.
Greenblood
Senior

Re: Ducks #24 in Mandel's Way-Too-Early Top 25

Post by Greenblood »

And Ducks #24 in Mandel's Way-Too-Early Top 25: https://theathletic.com/206571/2018/01/ ... -for-2018/

I don't think there's ever a downside to any kind of preseason buzz, at least while it's happening.
GoDucksTroll
Sophomore

Re: Ducks #23 in Athlon Way-Too-Early Top 25 (& #24 in Mande

Post by GoDucksTroll »

Jon Wilner is even higher on Oregon, having them #13 in his ridiculously early top-25.

https://www.mercurynews.com/2018/01/09/ ... teresting/

He also has Washington #7, Stanford #17, USC #21, and Arizona #22. In his bowl projections he has Oregon getting an at-large bid to the Fiesta Bowl. I'm not a Wilner fan, but he knows Pac-12 football better than national publications.