Strike 2 for Cristobal and staff

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

greenyellow

Re: Strike 2 for Cristobal and staff

Post by greenyellow »

TualatinDuck wrote:How did we get so spoiled that a top 20 class means the beginning of the apocalypse?
I think after seeing how high they could reach and then seeing how poor recruiting finishes and classes can affect the team in multiple years.
OregonFan4Life
All-American

Post by OregonFan4Life »

Early misses but at least it seems like they’re trying with recruiting, something that can’t be said about a previous coaching staff.
GrandpaDuck
Senior

Post by GrandpaDuck »

The recruiting class is good despite the poor finish. It was always way overrated, the number 1 class & top 5 class was always bullshit. It was due to the bulk quantity of early commits. The average per player ranking was never high enough that it was going finish in the top 10. It was 18 by average star rating when Willie left though it had room to rise some with a strong finish.

I am still of the opinion that hiring a coach primarily to save one recruiting class and please current players is idiotic.

Classes of this nature are good enough to win the conference or finish 9th; coaching, culture and player development will determine that.

That said the Boise State game made all the spin used to pump up MC and Arroyo's horrid past results look mighty suspect. Sometimes excuses are just that. I can't believe MC's career coaching record with the BSU game to reinforce it wasn't used against Oregon at the finish. I know I would have.
StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Post by StevensTechU »

GrandpaDuck wrote:
I am still of the opinion that hiring a coach primarily to save one recruiting class and please current players is idiotic.
Who would you have rather hired?
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

StevensTechU wrote:
GrandpaDuck wrote:
Josh McDaniels
GrandpaDuck
Senior

Post by GrandpaDuck »

Duck07 wrote:
StevensTechU wrote:
GrandpaDuck wrote:
Josh McDaniels
Don't be ridiculous. Dabo Sweeney
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

GrandpaDuck wrote:
Duck07 wrote:
StevensTechU wrote:
GrandpaDuck wrote:
Josh McDaniels
Let's get serious. Urban Meyer
TualatinDuck
Senior

Post by TualatinDuck »

greenyellow wrote:
GrandpaDuck wrote:
Duck07 wrote:
StevensTechU wrote:
GrandpaDuck wrote:
Josh McDaniels
Let's get serious. Urban Meyer
Lane Kiffen!
"And I can be the warrior for those who are frail and weak,
And I can be the compass for those that search and seek." ~Lem Absher
GrandpaDuck
Senior

Post by GrandpaDuck »

StevensTechU wrote:
GrandpaDuck wrote:
I have no idea who was actually available, how they interviewed or what the skeleton's in the closet are.

I could throw out a bunch of names of top tier coaches who there is no way in hell we could have got, like Frost, Kelly, Sweeny, Saban, Petersen et al. Of the coaches that were likely available, I could make a case for Butch Davis, Joey Fresh Water, Sumlin or Harsin among the not my first choice but have some actual pros in the Pro con ledger.

Mostly I want MC to do great. He's the coach we have and I would love him to exceed my expectations. I want to win next year a billion times more than I want to say I told you so. I watch the games with Great Grandma Duck and she is almost 100. We don't have the patience for another do over and rebuild.
maxduck
Senior

Post by maxduck »

Compare this class to the other new coaches in the Pac

Oregon 10 4 stars signed
UCLA 6 4 stars signed
Arizona State 1 4 star signed
Arizona 0 4 stars signed
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Post by UOducksTK1 »

maxduck wrote:Compare this class to the other new coaches in the Pac

Oregon 10 4 stars signed
UCLA 6 4 stars signed
Arizona State 1 4 star signed
Arizona 0 4 stars signed
Pretty sure even on the national level, Oregon had the 2nd best recruiting class among schools with new head coaches. (WT got first)

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13
StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Post by StevensTechU »

I wasn't particularly keen on Mario Cristobal, but the only other name that I could come up with was Syracuse's Dino Babers.

The timing of Slick leaving really left Oregon in a no-win situation. Cristobal was possibly the best of the available options at that point in time.
Phenom
All Pac-12

Post by Phenom »

I wanted Brohm or Norvell. After it was made public that Norvell had some flags, only Brohm was left but he turned down some big programs. Cristobal wasn't my first choice but this is silly.
GrantDuck
Senior

Post by GrantDuck »

mattc94 wrote:We have huge some quality problems at WR and LB, and a major depth problem at DB. I don't know if we are taking transfers or what, but I don't see us getting 8 wins next year. Good thing we have a good schedule. I hope Cristobal makes up for this so-so recruiting with his coaching. Because we have lost momentum. No idea how we get it back.
I actually love the linebacker class and LBers might be the best unit on the whole team next year.

Depth problem is at defensive line.
Phenom
All Pac-12

Post by Phenom »

GrantDuck wrote:
mattc94 wrote:We have huge some quality problems at WR and LB, and a major depth problem at DB. I don't know if we are taking transfers or what, but I don't see us getting 8 wins next year. Good thing we have a good schedule. I hope Cristobal makes up for this so-so recruiting with his coaching. Because we have lost momentum. No idea how we get it back.
I actually love the linebacker class and LBers might be the best unit on the whole team next year.

Depth problem is at defensive line.
I see a depth issue and rush end and potentially CB.