2018 Depth Chart

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

Phalanx
Senior

Re: 2018 Depth Chart

Post by Phalanx »

One of the most interesting things to me will be seeing what the actual WR depth chart will look like when the season starts, and who will mark themselves out for playing time.

Just surveying the DB's, Stewart and McGraw sure have had disappointing careers. Hoping McGraw, at least, can have a strong senior season.
UofDuck
Senior

2018 Depth Chart

Post by UofDuck »

Nobody mentioning Pickett. He seemed to play pretty well as a 17 year old tru frosh. Can he cover, if we needed him for depth? If he puts in the work, he should really develop physically this year.
StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Post by StevensTechU »

Phalanx wrote:One of the most interesting things to me will be seeing what the actual WR depth chart will look like when the season starts, and who will mark themselves out for playing time.

Just surveying the DB's, Stewart and McGraw sure have had disappointing careers. Hoping McGraw, at least, can have a strong senior season.
Not sure why they don't move Jihree to safety. He has no business at cornerback whatsoever.
Phenom
All Pac-12

Post by Phenom »

StevensTechU wrote:
Phalanx wrote:One of the most interesting things to me will be seeing what the actual WR depth chart will look like when the season starts, and who will mark themselves out for playing time.

Not sure why they don't move Jihree to safety. He has no business at cornerback whatsoever.
He did not see ANY action in 2017, not even on special teams, and he wasn't injured or redshirting.
GrantDuck
Senior

Post by GrantDuck »

We have 15 returning starters and an NFL QB, there's no good reason for this not to be a 9-10 win team(after bowl game). Our schedule is an absolute clown car. Anything less than 8 regular season wins and Cristobal should be on the hot seat.
Last edited by GrantDuck on Fri Feb 09, 2018 11:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
GrantDuck
Senior

Post by GrantDuck »

Same thoughts as before:

1. Defensive line depth needs some serious help if the Miami transfer is not eligible.

2. Need some of those young WR's and DB's to develop quickly.

Our linebacker group is really solid.
GoDucksTroll
Sophomore

Post by GoDucksTroll »

Groundswell wrote:I wish Sewell was an early enrollee. I'd like for him to be here going through workouts. He could start at guard right away. If DJ. Johnson clears to play, that's huge. The corner spot is sketchy, and our WR are meh, but I don't see how we don't win 8 games baring crazy injuries. I would consider it a bit of a failure to fall below that.
At the presser one of the compliance people said to Cristobal that DJ Johnson is unlikely to be cleared for 2018. Hopefully they can work some magic, because I'd love to see him and Jalen Jelks rushing while Jordon Scott collapses the interior of the line and Justin Hollins comes off the edge.
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Post by UOducksTK1 »

GoDucksTroll wrote:We are incredibly thin at a few spots. Especially CB. It's Graham, Lenoir and no one else. Amadi will play there are times, although he's our best safety by far. McKinley and Woods are going to get chances.

Lots of names I almost forgot existed, due to injuries. Keith Simms, Bryson Young, Gus Cumberlander.

It's hard to tell just by looking at this if we'll be better than we were in 2017. Common sense and my Duck homerism say yes, but there are so many unknown that I have to temper my expectations.
Yeah depth is an issue, but that/s a good call at CB. I think our starters in the DB group can hold their own, but depth is an issue. Gonna need a couple freshmen to step it up.

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13
GrantDuck
Senior

Post by GrantDuck »

UOducksTK1 wrote:
GoDucksTroll wrote:We are incredibly thin at a few spots. Especially CB. It's Graham, Lenoir and no one else. Amadi will play there are times, although he's our best safety by far. McKinley and Woods are going to get chances.

Lots of names I almost forgot existed, due to injuries. Keith Simms, Bryson Young, Gus Cumberlander.

It's hard to tell just by looking at this if we'll be better than we were in 2017. Common sense and my Duck homerism say yes, but there are so many unknown that I have to temper my expectations.
Yeah depth is an issue, but that/s a good call at CB. I think our starters in the DB group can hold their own, but depth is an issue. Gonna need a couple freshmen to step it up.
Guessing Ugo plays a lot of nickel/safety for us again next season, but he's also an option at CB that's not too bad. Helps the depth there a little.

But yes, we will need 1-2 of the newcomers to play some major reps this year at some point most likely, be it at safety or corner.
skdragon1
Two Star Recruit

Post by skdragon1 »

Does this mean Malik young not coming back?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

skdragon1 wrote:Does this mean Malik young not coming back?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
They're still in the process of petitioning the NCAA for another year. Same with trying to get DJ Johnson eligible immediately after his transfer from Miami.
Phenom
All Pac-12

Post by Phenom »

GrantDuck wrote:
UOducksTK1 wrote:

Guessing Ugo plays a lot of nickel/safety for us again next season, but he's also an option at CB that's not too bad. Helps the depth there a little.

But yes, we will need 1-2 of the newcomers to play some major reps this year at some point most likely, be it at safety or corner.
All new 4 DBs probably play.
GoDucksTroll
Sophomore

Post by GoDucksTroll »

I looked back through Chile Duck's depth chart and decided to tier how confident I am in each starter.

Most Confident
QB: Justin Herbert. This one is pretty obvious. Give Herbz a semblance of a running game and he's one of the best in the country.
ILB1: Troy Dye. Against the pass, against the run, and on a blitz you can't ask for a better LB.
DE1: Jalen Jelks. If he keeps improving at his current rate Jelks is a game changer.
C: Jake Hanson. Steady and great at pass pro and pulling.

Very Confident
LT: Calvin Throckmorton. I'm assuming he will be at LT, but either there or on the right side he's our best tackle.
OLB/DE: Justin Hollins. He's a freak and if he can get consistent pressure and not be beat by screen passes we're going to be cooking.
NT: Jordon Scott. I can't wait to see what Scott does for an encore. It's like having a poor man's Warren Sapp.
S1: Ugo Amadi. Amadi had a breakout season and his ball hawking combined with cover skills will be greatly needed.

Confident
LG: Shane Lemieux. Our best run blocking mauler, his weakness is picking up speedy rushers.
WR1: Dillon Mitchell. As long as he stays healthy Mitchell has a chance to be a first team All Pac-12 performer. By far our best WR. Don't let him return punts.
DE2: Austin Faoliu. The big DE to complement Jelks and is able to slide inside. He had a lot of plays where he
OLB: La'Mar Winston. I may be higher on him then some, but he was really a standout towards the end of the season. Against Arizona he was as responsible as anyone for shutting down Tate and against Cal he looked like a star.
CB1: Thomas Graham. Graham alternated between being great and getting burned. Considering he was a true freshman I expect a huge jump.

Somewhat Confident
RT: Brady Aiello. He's played enough to almost be considered a returning starter. It will be interesting to see if George Moore can make this a position battle.
RB1: Tony Brooks-James. We all know TBJ can play, we also know he's not going to be able to be a 15-20 carry back every game.
TE1: Jake Breeland. Some missed blocks from Breeland, but Herbert loves him as a target, he's a good route runner and has soft hands.
S2: Nick Pickett. He made some misreads, which I chalk up to him being a true freshman. Pickett can bring the lumber, and we need that.
CB2: Deommo Lenoir. He has all the tools, but like with Graham last year his inexperience cost him. I can see him having a breakthrough.

Low Confidence
RG: Jacob Capra. Not enough of a body of work to judge Capra, but at the moment he looks to be the bottom man in an otherwise very talented line.
WR2: Johnny Johnson III/Brenden Schooler. I'm grouping them as one. Johnson had a few incredible catches, and Schooler can make a big play and is a good red zone target. Some poor routes from JJIII and some drops from Schooler drop them in my book. They can still have great seasons, but I'm tempering my expectations.
Slot: Jaylon Redd/Taj Griffin. Also grouping these two. Redd really came on at the end of the year and I'm betting he gets the start because of his superior blocking. This is the position that has a chance to skyrocket up the confidence chart if we use them and their talents right.
ILB2: Sampson Niu. We all know he has a high ceiling, and he started playing well towards the end of the season, just a small body of work to go off.
K/P: Adam Stack. Stack was a better punter than Ian Wheeler, but there are better punters at middle school Punt, Pass and Kick competitions. Stack is also replacing one of, if not the best, kicker in school history.
LS: Karsten Battles. I'm assuming he'll be the starter, and all accounts are he's as good of a prospect as you can get, but Tanner Carew was downright a master of the craft.
GrantDuck
Senior

Post by GrantDuck »

Pretty fair assessments. The one thing it doesn't touch on is depth, but it's hard to know about that much, because we have not seen many of the backups.

Small disagreements:
-I don't love Jake Hanson that much, we did not run well up the gut last season, he's an average run blocker.
-I would move up the other safety spot. Between Pickett, Breeze, and the freshman, I think we will have a surprisingly good season there.
-I don't like Graham that much. Teams threw fade routes on him all season and he never stopped it well. Until he proves he can stop that route, have to move him down.
-I would move up TBJ. I don't think he HAS to get 15-20 carries a game, because I think we have other talent at RB there. If he can go 10-15 a game, he'll be a stud player for us.

GoDucksTroll wrote:I looked back through Chile Duck's depth chart and decided to tier how confident I am in each starter.

Most Confident
QB: Justin Herbert. This one is pretty obvious. Give Herbz a semblance of a running game and he's one of the best in the country.
ILB1: Troy Dye. Against the pass, against the run, and on a blitz you can't ask for a better LB.
DE1: Jalen Jelks. If he keeps improving at his current rate Jelks is a game changer.
C: Jake Hanson. Steady and great at pass pro and pulling.

Very Confident
LT: Calvin Throckmorton. I'm assuming he will be at LT, but either there or on the right side he's our best tackle.
OLB/DE: Justin Hollins. He's a freak and if he can get consistent pressure and not be beat by screen passes we're going to be cooking.
NT: Jordon Scott. I can't wait to see what Scott does for an encore. It's like having a poor man's Warren Sapp.
S1: Ugo Amadi. Amadi had a breakout season and his ball hawking combined with cover skills will be greatly needed.

Confident
LG: Shane Lemieux. Our best run blocking mauler, his weakness is picking up speedy rushers.
WR1: Dillon Mitchell. As long as he stays healthy Mitchell has a chance to be a first team All Pac-12 performer. By far our best WR. Don't let him return punts.
DE2: Austin Faoliu. The big DE to complement Jelks and is able to slide inside. He had a lot of plays where he
OLB: La'Mar Winston. I may be higher on him then some, but he was really a standout towards the end of the season. Against Arizona he was as responsible as anyone for shutting down Tate and against Cal he looked like a star.
CB1: Thomas Graham. Graham alternated between being great and getting burned. Considering he was a true freshman I expect a huge jump.

Somewhat Confident
RT: Brady Aiello. He's played enough to almost be considered a returning starter. It will be interesting to see if George Moore can make this a position battle.
RB1: Tony Brooks-James. We all know TBJ can play, we also know he's not going to be able to be a 15-20 carry back every game.
TE1: Jake Breeland. Some missed blocks from Breeland, but Herbert loves him as a target, he's a good route runner and has soft hands.
S2: Nick Pickett. He made some misreads, which I chalk up to him being a true freshman. Pickett can bring the lumber, and we need that.
CB2: Deommo Lenoir. He has all the tools, but like with Graham last year his inexperience cost him. I can see him having a breakthrough.

Low Confidence
RG: Jacob Capra. Not enough of a body of work to judge Capra, but at the moment he looks to be the bottom man in an otherwise very talented line.
WR2: Johnny Johnson III/Brenden Schooler. I'm grouping them as one. Johnson had a few incredible catches, and Schooler can make a big play and is a good red zone target. Some poor routes from JJIII and some drops from Schooler drop them in my book. They can still have great seasons, but I'm tempering my expectations.
Slot: Jaylon Redd/Taj Griffin. Also grouping these two. Redd really came on at the end of the year and I'm betting he gets the start because of his superior blocking. This is the position that has a chance to skyrocket up the confidence chart if we use them and their talents right.
ILB2: Sampson Niu. We all know he has a high ceiling, and he started playing well towards the end of the season, just a small body of work to go off.
K/P: Adam Stack. Stack was a better punter than Ian Wheeler, but there are better punters at middle school Punt, Pass and Kick competitions. Stack is also replacing one of, if not the best, kicker in school history.
LS: Karsten Battles. I'm assuming he'll be the starter, and all accounts are he's as good of a prospect as you can get, but Tanner Carew was downright a master of the craft.
GoDucksTroll
Sophomore

Post by GoDucksTroll »

I didn't include the freshmen, because we never know who will come in and pull a Troy Dye it and who will wind up being a Jihree Stewart.

I agree that Hanson didn't stand out in run blocking up the gut, that's his biggest weakness. Part of that can be attributed to us not having a passing threat and Taggart overusing the "Royce up the middle" play. He's really good as a blocker when he's pulling, but he doesn't have that explosive push at first. I think he and Throckmorton are our two best OL.

For safety, I hope that Pickett/Breeze plus whoever else plays there or at the other spot (McGraw, Stephens, Holland, Gibson) deliver. Because all of Pickett, Breeze and McGraw had their share of mistakes.

Graham is a mixed bag. Guys like N'Keal Harry absolutely abused him, even an OSU receiver burned him. But I think he's shown more than Lenoir at this point. There was a reason he was getting more PT.

I was mixed on placing TBJ that low, it was more of a reflection of the entire RB corps. Until I see more I can't be confident in them. Felix had some moments, but he also had that huge fumble against UCLA. Verdell we haven't even seen. We don't know what, if anything, Cyrus will bring. Mastro did recruit him at Wazzu, so maybe he has a better chance to see the field now.

I'm also curious if there will be position changes, both among current players and the incoming recruits. Malik Lovette has no business being a WR, he has hands of stone. Maybe he should go back to CB, where he wasn't all that great either. I read somewhere about Kampmoyer going to TE, which seems unlikely given our lack of depth at DE and how much he has bulked up. I can't wait for spring ball so we can find out more.