New Info about Cristobal Changes

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

Merganzer
Senior

Re: New Info about Cristobal Changes

Post by Merganzer »

duckfan22 wrote:
GrantDuck wrote:I think the Auburn and Ohio State games, our defensive line played well both games. Buckner had a hell of a game against Ohio State. Our coordinator and linebacker play were ATROCIOUS against Ohio State. We had Danny Mattingly who ran that wrong way nearly every play and guys like Hardrick who I swore got tripped more by the turf than he tackled opposing players. That D underachieved under Pellum all season, save for 2-3 games.

Offensive line was a MAJOR issue against Auburn. Against Ohio State, after the 1st series where we ran it down their throats, they stacked the box and played lots of cover 0 against our depleted WR core.

I don't think that narrative about line size is accurate, but it's one the national media loves to say about "spread" teams.

I think both a zone philosophy with athletes as well as a man/power scheme can be successful, it's more about execution and coaching.
Against Auburn we were pretty even line wise. Chip was way to stubborn tho trying to run
right at Nick Fairly. Could have won that one. Against Ohip State Ezeikle Elliott had 246 yards and 4 tds.
Their O-line opened up lanes all game for him to run thu.They had over 5 hundred for the game.
I remember being frustrated watching them run at will and making every 3rd it seemed like. All that
said Oregon makes a few stops and they win that game as well.
Or catch a couple of passes.
pezsez1
All Pac-12

Post by pezsez1 »

I swear, if Charles Nelson doesn't have that inexplicable third-down drop on our second possession, we race down the field, jump up 14-0, and the entire complexion of that game is different. Ohio State might not have had the luxury of leaning on a ground-and-pound offense.

God damn it, Carrington.
Willie Taggart is a dick.
FlDuckFan
All Pac-12
GM: Orlando Magic GM

Post by FlDuckFan »

duckfan22 wrote:
GrantDuck wrote:I think the Auburn and Ohio State games, our defensive line played well both games. Buckner had a hell of a game against Ohio State. Our coordinator and linebacker play were ATROCIOUS against Ohio State. We had Danny Mattingly who ran that wrong way nearly every play and guys like Hardrick who I swore got tripped more by the turf than he tackled opposing players. That D underachieved under Pellum all season, save for 2-3 games.

Offensive line was a MAJOR issue against Auburn. Against Ohio State, after the 1st series where we ran it down their throats, they stacked the box and played lots of cover 0 against our depleted WR core.

I don't think that narrative about line size is accurate, but it's one the national media loves to say about "spread" teams.

I think both a zone philosophy with athletes as well as a man/power scheme can be successful, it's more about execution and coaching.
Against Auburn we were pretty even line wise. Chip was way to stubborn tho trying to run
right at Nick Fairly. Could have won that one. Against Ohip State Ezeikle Elliott had 246 yards and 4 tds.
Their O-line opened up lanes all game for him to run thu.They had over 5 hundred for the game.
I remember being frustrated watching them run at will and making every 3rd it seemed like. All that
Ohio State also ran the same play over and over and over again. Nothing could be done to stop it.
OregonFan4Life
All-American

Post by OregonFan4Life »

pezsez1 wrote:
I swear, if Charles Nelson doesn't have that inexplicable third-down drop on our second possession, we race down the field, jump up 14-0, and the entire complexion of that game is different. Ohio State might not have had the luxury of leaning on a ground-and-pound offense.

God damn it, Carrington.
I’ve always said that was the biggest drop of the game. Everyone pointed to that Dwayne Stanford drop, which was very painful, but I agree. If Nelson catches that easy 3rd down pass we go up 14-0 and the game is completely different. Poor Marcus, he played an amazing game and his teammates and coaches let him down. I still remember that tool Trent Dilfer saying Marcus was the second best QB on the field.

As to the article, yeah I agree with previous posters, it’s not like Chip didn’t want big guys, he just ran the offense with the personnel he had and could get. In fact, by the end of his Oregon career he started to get some physical players. Kyle Long, Jake Fisher, Hronnis Grassu, DeForest Buckner, Arik Armstead, Kiko Alonso, Colt Lyerla, and Ricky Heimuli were all big guys that played very physical. That 2012 team was very physical and definitely the best team in the nation and the best Oregon team ever, they just forgot to show up against Stanford otherwise they would’ve won the natty. Freakin DAT, all you needed to do was block one guy!
Last edited by OregonFan4Life on Thu Feb 22, 2018 7:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
GrantDuck
Senior

Post by GrantDuck »

duckfan22 wrote:

Our line wore down in the 4th quarter, but if you watched the game, the holes weren't big in the 1st half, Zeke just wrecked our LBers and then they kept running that power trap play and our linebackers started running into the wrong holes altogether. Fishduck had a good breakdown of it. We had Armstead/Buckner/Balducci as our line that game, that's 2 1st round high draft picks and a solid college player. It wasn't the D-line(although we did get tired and needed depth there, but our offense did us no favors).
GrantDuck
Senior

Post by GrantDuck »

OregonFan4Life wrote:
pezsez1 wrote:

God damn it, Carrington.
I’ve always said that was the biggest drop of the game. Everyone pointed to that Dwayne Stanford drop, which was very painful, but I agree. If Nelson catches that easy 3rd down pass we go up 14-0 and the game is completely different. Poor Marcus, he played an amazing game and his teammates and coaches let him down. I still remember that tool Trent Dilfer saying Marcus was the second best QB on the field.

As to the article, yeah I agree with previous posters, it’s not like Chip didn’t want big guys, he just ran the offense with the personnel he had and could get. In fact, by the end of his Oregon career he started to get some physical players. Kyle Long, Jake Fisher, Hronnis Grassu, DeForest Buckner, Arik Armstead, Kikl Alonso, Colt Lyerla, and Ricky Heimuli were all big guys that played very physical. That 2012 team was very physical and definitely the best team in the nation and the best Oregon team ever, they just forgot to show up against Stanford otherwise they would’ve won the natty. Freakin DAT, all you needed to do was block one guy!
2012 was the best team we had, no doubt about that. 2007 would be my runner up for that.
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

The 2005 squad I believe has had the most NFL talent on it of any roster we've had. That team had losses to Oklahoma and SC that each school later had to vacate so like Bama fans do,we obviously won a NC that year.
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

Duck07 wrote:The 2005 squad I believe has had the most NFL talent on it of any roster we've had. That team had losses to Oklahoma and SC that each school later had to vacate so like Bama fans do,we obviously won a NC that year.
That game vs OU still pissed me off, why have Brady in there? That last pass he had a guy wide open, and he throws it right to the LB instead, Dixon would have made that throw.
OregonFan4Life
All-American

Post by OregonFan4Life »

buckmarkduck wrote:
Duck07 wrote:The 2005 squad I believe has had the most NFL talent on it of any roster we've had. That team had losses to Oklahoma and SC that each school later had to vacate so like Bama fans do,we obviously won a NC that year.
That game vs OU still pissed me off, why have Brady in there? That last pass he had a guy wide open, and he throws it right to the LB instead, Dixon would have made that throw.
It never would’ve been close if Dixon played the entire game. We all love Belotti, but his 2 QB System was just puzzling.
woundedknees
All-American

Post by woundedknees »

OregonFan4Life wrote:
buckmarkduck wrote:
It never would’ve been close if Dixon played the entire game. We all love Belotti, but his 2 QB System was just INFURATINGLY DISGUSTING.

FIFY
Autzen Stadium... Where great teams go to die...Hard!