New Info about Cristobal Changes

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

FishDuck
Three Star Recruit

New Info about Cristobal Changes

Post by FishDuck »

A fellow who played college football, and has connections with college coaches on the West Coast has pulled together their and his impressions of Oregon’s changes in a recent article. I learned some new things and it is an interesting read...

http://fishduck.com/2018/02/laying-the- ... are-built/

Read over there and let’s discuss here as usual...

An Update: My site will only have two articles a week on Mondays and Wednesdays, (sometimes on Fridays) going forward as I just want to do analysis, write and ponder about our Beloved Ducks. I do not wish to spend 20-30 hours a week on training and managing a large staff of writers and editors, thus as the usual turnover occurred on an all-volunteer site—I did not replace them.

I am working on turning the site into an Oregon Football Repository with over 600 articles about Analysis, History of Oregon Football, and articles about the Men of Oregon in addition to having current articles each week. It will remain free, and available to read for fun or learn from such as the new Analysis Library. (You can see the link at the top of the site on the toolbar at FD.com or click below.)

http://fishduck.com/the-oregon-football ... hduck-com/

The Google Ads on the site pay peanuts, and do not cover the site costs, but I will continue FD.com along with a few writers and editors as a hobby as it was originally intended. And it will be nice to take a vacation again....

Thanks to all, especially to the mods, who has shared the links over the years,

FishDuck
srduck
Three Star Recruit

Re: New Info about Cristobal Changes

Post by srduck »

Very interesting read. Some very compelling points.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
karlhungis
All Pac-12

Post by karlhungis »

Seems overly optimistic but a good read.
OregonFan4life -
My source just said Chip is officially back!
It will be announced at Autzen press conference tomorrow afternoon!
ducks5ever
Four Star Recruit

Post by ducks5ever »

It is a bit optimistic. The top concerns depth wise I had for next year are LB and DL but the article says it will be strong.... I'm a noob at this so I sure hope he's right
Last edited by ducks5ever on Tue Feb 20, 2018 11:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
nogerO
Senior

Post by nogerO »

ducks5ever wrote:It is a bit optimistic. The top concerns depth wise I had for next year are LB and DL but FishDuck says it will be strong.... I'm a noob at this so I sure hope he's right
I'm of the opinion you can never have too many DL and LB.
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice the gift." - Steve Prefontaine
FishDuck
Three Star Recruit

Correction....

Post by FishDuck »

FishDuck did not say it....the writer Justin Samples did. I do not censor writers, and that is why we have had a wide variety of opinions in the 1.5 years when I opened things up for everyone.

He did not predict ten wins next year, in fact said the opposite as he is looking for the incremental increases that can build up over 2-3 years.

Cheers--thanks.

FD
alxtw
Five Star Recruit

Post by alxtw »

Good article and points. Agree with his view on the national championship game. Carrington was also suspended for that game. OSU also had its fair share of injured and missing players but when you have two teams that are well coached and have good starters, thats the difference between a team that is a perennial top-5 recruiting programs and one that's is a top-20 recruiting program. They'll have depth and capable players waiting to fill in when one goes down. (ie Alabama with their LBs this last year)

I would debate that we are not the third most talented team in the Pac12. Stanford definitely has had very highly rated recruiting classes and imho is third or even second, depending on how you view UCLA. We probably sit at fourth or fifth with UW. However, UW has had great classes and developed their recruits very well these past few years. So we could be very well viewed as the fifth most talented team in the Pac12 right now. However, we all know talented teams dont necessarily equate to more wins. :lol:
karlhungis
All Pac-12

Re: Correction....

Post by karlhungis »

FishDuck wrote:FishDuck did not say it....the writer Justin Samples did. I do not censor writers, and that is why we have had a wide variety of opinions in the 1.5 years when I opened things up for everyone.

He did not predict ten wins next year, in fact said the opposite as he is looking for the incremental increases that can build up over 2-3 years.

Cheers--thanks.

FD
Nobody said you wrote it and nobody said anything about 10 wins. We said it was optimistic, which it is.
OregonFan4life -
My source just said Chip is officially back!
It will be announced at Autzen press conference tomorrow afternoon!
StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Post by StevensTechU »

I'm fascinated at this "Great teams are built from the inside out" concept.

Great teams have great players at all positions. That's why they're so great - they don't have weaknesses. This concept that we're going to reallocate some resource from outside positions to interior positions and that will make us better is utterly ridiculous. Alabama, Clemson, tOSU in recent years have had NFL-caliber players literally all over the field - that's why they won national championships. If Oregon beefs up in the middle and are weaker on the outside (like how our current WRs and RBs look compared to recent years), we're still not going to win a 'ship.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

I don't think he's saying that Oregon will overlook the importance of skill guys but that they'll be making sure that the lines are addressed like they've not been done before at Oregon. With how they were going after skill guys this past recruiting class, they recognize you need top-flight skill guys to go with your top-notch lines.
Duck07
All-American

Re: Correction....

Post by Duck07 »

karlhungis wrote:
FishDuck wrote:FishDuck did not say it....the writer Justin Samples did. I do not censor writers, and that is why we have had a wide variety of opinions in the 1.5 years when I opened things up for everyone.

Cheers--thanks.

FD
Nobody said you wrote it and nobody said anything about 10 wins. We said it was optimistic, which it is.
I like the picture of that Alabama coach at the top.
StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Post by StevensTechU »

greenyellow wrote:I don't think he's saying that Oregon will overlook the importance of skill guys but that they'll be making sure that the lines are addressed like they've not been done before at Oregon. With how they were going after skill guys this past recruiting class, they recognize you need top-flight skill guys to go with your top-notch lines.
Right. The insinuation your statement is that they were trying to get skill guys harder before and interior guys less hard. Now they're going to try get skill guys less hard and interior guys harder.

That makes no sense. 1) Because you need all to win a natty. 2) Because I doubt the previous staff wasn't trying as hard with linemen and this group isn't trying as hard with skill players.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

StevensTechU wrote:
greenyellow wrote:I don't think he's saying that Oregon will overlook the importance of skill guys but that they'll be making sure that the lines are addressed like they've not been done before at Oregon. With how they were going after skill guys this past recruiting class, they recognize you need top-flight skill guys to go with your top-notch lines.
Right. The insinuation your statement is that they were trying to get skill guys harder before and interior guys less hard. Now they're going to try get skill guys less hard and interior guys harder.

That makes no sense. 1) Because you need all to win a natty. 2) Because I doubt the previous staff wasn't trying as hard with linemen and this group isn't trying as hard with skill players.
That's not what I was saying. I was saying they're changing the way OL/DL are handled in both recruiting and development so they can compete with the top teams, not that the previous staffs didn't care at all. I think we can all agree that while Oregon's OL and DL worked well in getting them to 2 national title games, they got worked a bit by teams that had bigger, stronger, and seemingly better coached lines. I was also saying that the current staff values all the positions and you could tell that by them going hard after top-flight guys at all positions.
GrantDuck
Senior

Post by GrantDuck »

I think the Auburn and Ohio State games, our defensive line played well both games. Buckner had a hell of a game against Ohio State. Our coordinator and linebacker play were ATROCIOUS against Ohio State. We had Danny Mattingly who ran that wrong way nearly every play and guys like Hardrick who I swore got tripped more by the turf than he tackled opposing players. That D underachieved under Pellum all season, save for 2-3 games.

Offensive line was a MAJOR issue against Auburn. Against Ohio State, after the 1st series where we ran it down their throats, they stacked the box and played lots of cover 0 against our depleted WR core.

I don't think that narrative about line size is accurate, but it's one the national media loves to say about "spread" teams.

I think both a zone philosophy with athletes as well as a man/power scheme can be successful, it's more about execution and coaching.
duckfan22
Senior

Post by duckfan22 »

GrantDuck wrote:I think the Auburn and Ohio State games, our defensive line played well both games. Buckner had a hell of a game against Ohio State. Our coordinator and linebacker play were ATROCIOUS against Ohio State. We had Danny Mattingly who ran that wrong way nearly every play and guys like Hardrick who I swore got tripped more by the turf than he tackled opposing players. That D underachieved under Pellum all season, save for 2-3 games.

Offensive line was a MAJOR issue against Auburn. Against Ohio State, after the 1st series where we ran it down their throats, they stacked the box and played lots of cover 0 against our depleted WR core.

I don't think that narrative about line size is accurate, but it's one the national media loves to say about "spread" teams.

I think both a zone philosophy with athletes as well as a man/power scheme can be successful, it's more about execution and coaching.
Against Auburn we were pretty even line wise. Chip was way to stubborn tho trying to run
right at Nick Fairly. Could have won that one. Against Ohip State Ezeikle Elliott had 246 yards and 4 tds.
Their O-line opened up lanes all game for him to run thu.They had over 5 hundred for the game.
I remember being frustrated watching them run at will and making every 3rd it seemed like. All that
said Oregon makes a few stops and they win that game as well.