Oregon hires Thomas Arends as director of player personnel

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

greenyellow

Oregon hires Thomas Arends as director of player personnel

Post by greenyellow »

Cristobal continues adding to his recruiting staff, this time adding Thomas Arends from Baylor as the director of player personnel. Oregon isn't completely foreign to him as he graduated from Oregon and previously served on Chip Kelly and Mark Helfrich's staffs as director of recruiting operations and high school relations.

https://scoopduck.com/s/1618/cristobal- ... director/2
StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Re: Oregon hires Thomas Arends as director of player personn

Post by StevensTechU »

Thomas is a good kid. Interacted with him a fair amount before he was booted by Willie and had the 1-year stint at Baylor. He's a really hard worker willing to put in the long hours, and is operationally sound. He's not an "outside the box" thinker, and at least prior to leaving for Baylor, really subscribed to the Mark Helfrich we'll-never-recruit-as-well-as-the-LA-schools line of thinking, which bothered me a lot (to the extent that it may be right, it's a defeatist attitude and will only serve to hurt your efforts). Hope he's a little more tenacious this time around.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

Hopefully working with the A-level recruiters on staff now rubs off and that his previous way of doing things was done because it was him following orders from the HC. I think pairing him with Stephen Field, the new director of recruiting, should also help.
StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Post by StevensTechU »

Was there a thread on Field? I don't know much of anything on the guy other than a blurb I saw that said his connections were generally in the SE.
Phenom
All Pac-12

Post by Phenom »

StevensTechU wrote:Was there a thread on Field? I don't know much of anything on the guy other than a blurb I saw that said his connections were generally in the SE.
He was the HC of a powerhouse in Miami (either Central or Northwestern). He was also good at the same role at Louisville.

I'm less optimistic about this guy after reading what you wrote, STU.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

StevensTechU wrote:Was there a thread on Field? I don't know much of anything on the guy other than a blurb I saw that said his connections were generally in the SE.
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=30105&p=422175#p422175
alxtw
Five Star Recruit

Post by alxtw »

greenyellow wrote:Cristobal continues adding to his recruiting staff, this time adding Thomas Arends from Baylor as the director of player personnel. Oregon isn't completely foreign to him as he graduated from Oregon and previously served on Chip Kelly and Mark Helfrich's staffs as director of recruiting operations and high school relations.

https://scoopduck.com/s/1618/cristobal- ... director/2
Hope he has some great cali high school relations from his chip days and some good texas hs relations from his short time at Baylor.
StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Post by StevensTechU »

Phenom wrote:
He was the HC of a powerhouse in Miami (either Central or Northwestern). He was also good at the same role at Louisville.

If Field is the kind of guy who you want ushering visitors around, then it could be a good fit with Thomas, who is well organized and will keep things moving from a compliance standpoint. I just don't want him to be the one evaluating film, suggesting priorities of who to go after, and being the point-man on recruits' visits.

An interesting tidbit is that Thomas got his "in" to the football program as an intern from Dan Fouts. Their families are friends out in Sisters, OR.
karlhungis
All Pac-12

Post by karlhungis »

StevensTechU wrote:
Phenom wrote:
StevensTechU wrote:Was there a thread on Feld? I don't know much of anything on the guy other than a blurb I saw that said his connections were generally in the SE.

If Feld is the kind of guy who you want ushering visitors around, then it could be a good fit with Thomas, who is well organized and will keep things moving from a compliance standpoint. I just don't want him to be the one evaluating film, suggesting priorities of who to go after, and being the point-man on recruits' visits.

An interesting tidbit is that Thomas got his "in" to the football program as an intern from Dan Fouts. Their families are friends out in Sisters, OR.
Based off of resumes alone, I don't see how he would be given anywhere near that kind of authority.
OregonFan4life -
My source just said Chip is officially back!
It will be announced at Autzen press conference tomorrow afternoon!
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

I think Stephen Field (the new director of recruiting) will be handling more of the film evaluations and recruit contact since he's got the better track record as a former coach. Arends is hopefully going to be more of an administrator of the recruiting department than talent evaluator.