Love what I'm hearing about/out of the new S&C program

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

GrantDuck
Senior

Post by GrantDuck »

At the end of the Helfie era, we had guys clearly out of shape. I think the s&c was fine, but that there was nobody to discipline them and we saw the physical results with guys overweight and out of shape. Last year, the bulking strategy was OK, but honestly not ideal for football.

I remember in the Chip era, guys like Spencer Paysinger saying how they not only worked with Rad, but Chip really enforced them to stick to diet and sleep schedules. He transformed himself from a SS/OLB tweener, to an NFL linebacker/special teams guy. He gave up cheese and kept to a strict diet. This it the type of discipline it takes to be an elite athlete on an elite program.

The new s&c staff is going back to this and you can see it in how cut the players look. The before/after photos of guys like Simms and Johnny Johnson are out there. Players mom's are tweeting about their player's diets when they've come back home for spring break. The training is again functional for football, and it's combined with diet and discipline being enforced.

Anyhow, just some positive observations. Go Ducks.
duckfan22
Senior

Re: Love what I'm hearing about/out of the new S&C program

Post by duckfan22 »

GrantDuck wrote:At the end of the Helfie era, we had guys clearly out of shape. I think the s&c was fine, but that there was nobody to discipline them and we saw the physical results with guys overweight and out of shape. Last year, the bulking strategy was OK, but honestly not ideal for football.

I remember in the Chip era, guys like Spencer Paysinger saying how they not only worked with Rad, but Chip really enforced them to stick to diet and sleep schedules. He transformed himself from a SS/OLB tweener, to an NFL linebacker/special teams guy. He gave up cheese and kept to a strict diet. This it the type of discipline it takes to be an elite athlete on an elite program.

The new s&c staff is going back to this and you can see it in how cut the players look. The before/after photos of guys like Simms and Johnny Johnson are out there. Players mom's are tweeting about their player's diets when they've come back home for spring break. The training is again functional for football, and it's combined with diet and discipline being enforced.

Anyhow, just some positive observations. Go Ducks.

thanks Grant The thing is with the previous S&C coach you never saw anything from him.
With these guys there all over the place. They are so different from what weve seen. And going with
the Alabama philosophy seems like a good plan.
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

From a non coaching stand point, losing James Harris to Philly when Chip left was probably the biggest staff loss. He was definitely one of those people that was there to stay on the players to follow through.
maxduck
Senior

Post by maxduck »

Right on cue the Register Guard has a pretty good article on the S&C program.

Coaches and players in every football program in the country with a new strength and conditioning coach brag about how much bigger, faster and stronger they are in the spring than they were the previous fall under the old regime. Taggart described Oregon’s roster as “weak” before Oderinde put the Ducks through his workouts.

The trust the current players seem to have in Feld sounds less clichéd and more heartfelt.

http://registerguard.com/rg/sports/3657 ... y.html.csp
chapelhillduck
Senior

Post by chapelhillduck »

Cringing at TBJ describing the current program as "like with Radcliffe, but on steroids"

Obviously meaning something different that how that reads out of context

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
lmduck

Post by lmduck »

chapelhillduck wrote:Cringing at TBJ describing the current program as "like with Radcliffe, but on steroids"

Obviously meaning something different that how that reads out of context

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I get what you are saying. I think most people got what he meant and I did not see any unusual reactions or comments.