Jalen Hall back home tending to personal matter

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

Duck24
Senior

Re: Jalen Hall back home tending to personal matter

Post by Duck24 »

Parts of Jhop’s post below, verifying what others are saying. Too bad, kid had a pathway to get him out of his turbulent upbringing via a football career or college degree. Hopefully he recognizes that but I wouldn’t hold my breath. Not going to hate on the kid, best of luck in whatever life brings his way moving forward.

Look he's gone. And the personal matter he is dealing with is the fact he doesn't really want to play football anymore. That's what happened at Poly this year which is why he didn't have a strong senior season. He flat out just does NOT want to play any more. It's not like his talent evaporated.

Combine the fact that he was going to have to do college schoolwork and stuff that he wasn't ready to handle, he jumped on a greyhound and bolted home.
karlhungis
All Pac-12

Post by karlhungis »

Well... s***
OregonFan4life -
My source just said Chip is officially back!
It will be announced at Autzen press conference tomorrow afternoon!
Phalanx
Senior

Post by Phalanx »

greenyellow wrote:That'd suck. Without him, Oregon really has no tall WRs and they'd be down to 9 scholarship WRs once Crocker and Tucker show up for fall camp.
There must be a couple of guys I am counting that you aren't? I get 11 once those guys show up.

Kind of makes one wonder: were the coaches clued in on this at all? Was signing him an act of ignorance, or of desperation? Also interesting that walk-on Kyle Buckner was given a scholarship last month...did they possibly see these departures coming? He is also 6'3'', so they may be trying to address the dearth of tall receivers you alluded to.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

Duck24 wrote:Parts of Jhop’s post below, verifying what others are saying. Too bad, kid had a pathway to get him out of his turbulent upbringing via a football career or college degree. Hopefully he recognizes that but I wouldn’t hold my breath. Not going to hate on the kid, best of luck in whatever life brings his way moving forward.

Look he's gone. And the personal matter he is dealing with is the fact he doesn't really want to play football anymore. That's what happened at Poly this year which is why he didn't have a strong senior season. He flat out just does NOT want to play any more. It's not like his talent evaporated.

Combine the fact that he was going to have to do college schoolwork and stuff that he wasn't ready to handle, he jumped on a greyhound and bolted home.
If he was having those feeling even during his SR season, I'm not sure why he'd go through the whole recruiting process, sign, and then show up early. Something else has to be going on.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

Phalanx wrote:
greenyellow wrote:That'd suck. Without him, Oregon really has no tall WRs and they'd be down to 9 scholarship WRs once Crocker and Tucker show up for fall camp.
There must be a couple of guys I am counting that you aren't? I get 11 once those guys show up.

Kind of makes one wonder: were the coaches clued in on this at all? Was signing him an act of ignorance, or of desperation? Also interesting that walk-on Kyle Buckner was given a scholarship last month...did they possibly see these departures coming? He is also 6'3'', so they may be trying to address the dearth of tall receivers you alluded to.
Here's the scholarship guys I'm counting: Mitchell, Burch, Lovette, Redd, Johnson III, Davis, Schooler, Crocker, and Tucker. From looking at the past 5 or so seasons, that number isn't that far off from typical as the average scholarship WRs they carried was around 10. Main issue with last year and now this year's is that much of that depth is unproven.
Phalanx
Senior

Post by Phalanx »

Gotcha. Chileduck has Taj Griffin at receiver for some reason...guess we'll see where he ends up. Buckner is now a scholarship receiver, but who knows how much or even if he will play.
GoDucksTroll
Sophomore

Post by GoDucksTroll »

Dang. Hope that Hall gets his life figured out. I find it mind blowing that he couldn't make it past three days in school, there has to be more to it than that.

If this doesn't work out it makes that WR miss in the recruiting cycle look even worse. Hall was making those instant impact freshmen lists.

I'm guessing the depth chart looks something like this:

Slot: Dillon Mitchell, Jaylon Redd, Demetri Burch

WR: Brenden Schooler, Kyle Buckner, Malik Lovette

WR: Johnny Johnson III, Daewood Davis

TBD: Isaah Crocker, JJ Tucker. Taj Griffin is listed as RB, so we'll see what happens with him.

So thin at WR, and not a huge haul of new faces coming in. Having a Devon Williams or a Chase Cota arriving this fall would have made a huge difference. Looking to see who steps up, someone is going to get those Herbz passes thrown their way.
GrantDuck
Senior

Post by GrantDuck »

Sucks for him, sucks for the team, and sadly sucks for Justin Herbert.

Hopefully Jhop is as wrong on this as he was in recruiting this year and Jalen comes back soon or at least in the fall.
brich75
Senior

Post by brich75 »

Well that is unfortunate, I had hoped for great things from him as a duck! Hopefully he pulls things together and still accomplished great things outside of football. Still very young lots of loving to day yet.
Everythingsducky
Senior

Post by Everythingsducky »

I don’t get that the staff didn’t see red flags. Not that they are required to report any issues. My concern now lies with whomever recruited him. Johnson, though the Ducks are trying to get his son on board, hasn’t seem to be mentioned much by recruits. Is Johnson a weak recruiter? Just don’t see many tweets/pictures/quotes about players loving on him. And with the last cycles failures at WR, is there some blame to be placed?
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

Here's hoping Crocker can adjust a year earlier than expected. He's the WR I liked most in this class.
karlhungis
All Pac-12

Post by karlhungis »

Everythingsducky wrote:I don’t get that the staff didn’t see red flags. Not that they are required to report any issues. My concern now lies with whomever recruited him. Johnson, though the Ducks are trying to get his son on board, hasn’t seem to be mentioned much by recruits. Is Johnson a weak recruiter? Just don’t see many tweets/pictures/quotes about players loving on him. And with the last cycles failures at WR, is there some blame to be placed?
We were thin at WR and he was a highly rated kid that we had a good shot at. It isn't like recruiting him pushed other recruits out of the door. We literally had nothing to lose by recruiting him. Losing him 3 days into spring practice didn't cost us anything either.
OregonFan4life -
My source just said Chip is officially back!
It will be announced at Autzen press conference tomorrow afternoon!
OregonFan4Life
All-American

Post by OregonFan4Life »

I don’t mean to rag on the kid and if he’s having a hard time with family then I’m glad he’s going home, but if the reason is because he doesn’t want to play football and doesn’t want to go to school, then that’s kinda sad. What does he want to do? Hopefully he has aspirations for a career that doesn’t require either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
GrandpaDuck
Senior

Post by GrandpaDuck »

I liked Javon Holland's wide receiver highlights the most of any of the incoming receivers including Hall. On the other hand I also thought he was the best DB as well. If it looks like he isn't going to be in the DB rotation this year they might consider at least a one year change of position should a transfer or other new comer not prove adequate.

I suspect we will be a pass heavy team (not necessarily by design) and having adequate wide receiver depth might be crucial.
Phalanx
Senior

Post by Phalanx »

Just to answer my question, Griffin is practicing at running back per Moseley's report. So without Hall, it looks like 10 receivers on scholarship. Hopefully a few emerge from that bunch into solid receivers.