rockthief
Senior

Oregon linebacker arrested = Fotu Leiato

Post by rockthief »

Alan
Senior

Re: Oregon linebacker arrested = Fotu Leiato

Post by Alan »

Sound s like parking tickets he let get away from him, we'll see what MC does, but not to serious...... meaning dumb kid doing dumb kid things. JMO
pezsez1
All Pac-12

Post by pezsez1 »

The theft and mischief charges are for the alleged damaging and removal of a parking boot from a vehicle driven by Leiato.
:roll:

This is a tough one. To me, this doesn't rise to the level of being suspended for a season, but let's be real here. How stupid do you have to be to rip a parking boot off of your car and think there won't be consequences? And what kind of respect does this indicate toward law enforcement?

I'd suspend him for the first three games. Yes, kids do dumb things, but this wasn't like "oops, I drank too much," or "oops, I was driving too fast on this corner and my car went into a ditch." Anyone who defies police like this needs to face a harsh consequence.
Willie Taggart is a dick.
DuckMastaFunk
Five Star Recruit

Post by DuckMastaFunk »

pezsez1 wrote:
The theft and mischief charges are for the alleged damaging and removal of a parking boot from a vehicle driven by Leiato.
:roll:

This is a tough one. To me, this doesn't rise to the level of being suspended for a season, but let's be real here. How stupid do you have to be to rip a parking boot off of your car and think there won't be consequences? And what kind of respect does this indicate toward law enforcement?

I'd suspend him for the first three games. Yes, kids do dumb things, but this wasn't like "oops, I drank too much," or "oops, I was driving too fast on this corner and my car went into a ditch." Anyone who defies police like this needs to face a harsh consequence.
"I'd suspend him for the first three games."
I'm glad you are not the coach! :lol: Yes he was being stupid, but this is a something that should result in a fine, not a criminal offense.

"Anyone who defies police like this needs to face a harsh consequence."
So you've never knowingly exceeded the speed limit?
Duck24
Senior

Post by Duck24 »

Was his first arrest ever reported? I don’t remember seeing anything about him getting arrested in January.
pezsez1
All Pac-12

Post by pezsez1 »

So you've never knowingly exceeded the speed limit?
Your logic is flawed. Here is why:

In terms of disrespecting police, driving 5-10 mph over the speed limit on the freeway is akin to leaving your car in a spot 30 mins after the meter has expired. Both are violations of the law. But I couldn't say with a straight face that either was akin to "disrespecting law enforcement."

Now, a cop putting a boot on your illegally parked car is on the same level as a cop pulling you over for going 10 mph over the speed limit.

So a more "accurate" comment for you to have made would have been, "So you've never knowingly evaded a cop who has tried to pull you over for speeding."

And my answer to that is no, I have not. I've been pulled over for speeding three times, and all three times I've pulled over to accept the consequences. (Warnings each time, because I have a clean record and was barely over the speed limit.)

Yes, a three-game suspension for directly defying an officer's attempt to levy a consequence would absolutely be justified.
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

Oregon football players who can't pay their parking meters in full? You don't say. He's not even the first guy to do this, but maybe the first to get in trouble. Campus Police just isn't as forgiving these days, even if this was an EPD thing.
Tray Dub
All Pac-12

Post by Tray Dub »

Getting parking tickets is one thing, but refusing to pay them to the extent that your car gets booted and then trying to *rip the boot off* indicates real arrogance in my book. You have to really think the rules don't apply to you to do something like that. If you want to instill a culture of doing things right and being team-first, you have to show there will be consequences for this type of nonsense.
rockthief
Senior

Post by rockthief »

He could transfer to Utah :P
He has to be disciplined if only for his arrogance.

GO DUCKS!
GoDucksTroll
Sophomore

Post by GoDucksTroll »

Made me think of that episode of The Simpsons where Homer gets his car booted in NYC and tries to take it off with a jackhammer.

Poor decisions, bone headed moves. Give Leiato a one or two game suspension, maybe even three. Not the most serious crime, but you can't be behaving like this.
brich75
Senior

Post by brich75 »

Geez, give him community service to work off the cost of the boot and work off his “Debt to society”.He didn’t hurt anyone nobody was in danger. Donate his free time to the city and move on.
DuckMastaFunk
Five Star Recruit

Post by DuckMastaFunk »

pezsez1 wrote:
So a more "accurate" comment for you to have made would have been, "So you've never knowingly evaded a cop who has tried to pull you over for speeding.".
I try to be willing to admit when I'm wrong, so I asked my buddy in law enforcement if taking a boot off a car is similar to evading a cop trying to pull you over. He just laughed at me.

But that's only 1 guy's opinion. Perhaps we agree to disagree.
pezsez1
All Pac-12

Post by pezsez1 »

I try to be willing to admit when I'm wrong, so I asked my buddy in law enforcement if taking a boot off a car is similar to evading a cop trying to pull you over. He just laughed at me.
I think you're missing my point here. Yeah, of course actually evading a cop is worse. But to rip a boot off of your car is a means of defying a cop's attempt at enforcement, just as evading a cop while speeding would be.

Simply speeding -- especially casual speeding, which is what most speeders do -- isn't even a distant cousin of defying an attempt at enforcement.

I'm not saying he should be suspended because of the seriousness of his crime, which in this case was a parking violation. I'm saying he deserves a multi-game suspension because he directly defied a police officer's attempt to enforce the law. In my opinion, that can't be tolerated.
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

pezsez1 wrote: I think you're missing my point here...
You need to break a few laws in your life and live a little Pez. I think it's absurd that we can place a literal ball and chain on someone's property over a parking violation. That's a violation of the Social Contract in my eyes.
Tray Dub
All Pac-12

Post by Tray Dub »

Duck07 wrote:
pezsez1 wrote: I think you're missing my point here...
You need to break a few laws in your life and live a little Pez. I think it's absurd that we can place a literal ball and chain on someone's property over a parking violation. That's a violation of the Social Contract in my eyes.
I'm pretty sure John Locke believed in the need for taxes (which is essentially what metered parking is) and punishments for failure to pay them.

If you've got a better way to deal with people who refuse to feed the meters, I'm all ears. But in the meantime, invoking Enlightenment-era political philosophy in a conversation about parking tickets seems like the real absurdity.