Merganzer
Senior

Leiato dismissed from team

Post by Merganzer »

GrantDuck
Senior

Re: Leiato dismissed from team

Post by GrantDuck »

Bummer. Seems a little harsh, but we don't know the full story and if Mario wants to set the tone, so be it.
GrandpaDuck
Senior

Post by GrandpaDuck »

From the outside with limited facts, it does seem harsh to me.

Well, there's always Utah.
Duck24
Senior

Post by Duck24 »

His trespass issue was for not paying a bus fare, warrant issued for not showing up to court to take care of the bus issue, then the parking boot. Separately, these aren’t bootable offences IMO, but together within like six months of each other, I have no issue with MC removing him from the team. Sucks because he was in line for some serious PT his last year on campus.
FlDuckFan
All Pac-12
GM: Orlando Magic GM

Post by FlDuckFan »

Duck24 wrote:His trespass issue was for not paying a bus fare, warrant issued for not showing up to court to take care of the bus issue, then the parking boot. Separately, these aren’t bootable offences IMO, but together within like six months of each other, I have no issue with MC removing him from the team. Sucks because he was in line for some serious PT his last year on campus.
Am I wrong in thinking that not showing up to court is the biggest issue he had? It's not a court date sneaks up on you
Alan
Senior

Post by Alan »

Duck24 wrote:His trespass issue was for not paying a bus fare, warrant issued for not showing up to court to take care of the bus issue, then the parking boot. Separately, these aren’t bootable offences IMO, but together within like six months of each other, I have no issue with MC removing him from the team. Sucks because he was in line for some serious PT his last year on campus.
Mario needs to set the tone, in my opinion he needed to get kicked off the team, not harsh at all.
rockthief
Senior

Post by rockthief »

He challenged the bus driver, then the court, and did the car boot thing. Cristobal just sent a strong message about who is the boss.
chapelhillduck
Senior

Post by chapelhillduck »

"gives him the boot"

Such meta

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
pezsez1
All Pac-12

Post by pezsez1 »

"gives him the boot"
Well done! :lol:
Willie Taggart is a dick.
alxtw
Five Star Recruit

Post by alxtw »

If they already sat down with him before and had a talk regarding his prior offenses, then I applaud MC's decision. I'm guessing that's the case here and that they already gave him a second chance?
duckfan22
Senior

Post by duckfan22 »

alxtw wrote:If they already sat down with him before and had a talk regarding his prior offenses, then I applaud MC's decision. I'm guessing that's the case here and that they already gave him a second chance?
I have heard and it may have been in here that there were other issues
that contributed. Not sure what tho. Maybe he just doesnt care and that came across
to MC and he seems like a no nonsense type of coach and it was the last straw.
We may never know what went down. I also think Mario is sending a message.
Which i applaud his decision as well. I hope Leiato gets his act together and moves on in a
positive way.
OregonFan4Life
All-American

Post by OregonFan4Life »

Hopefully he realizes the error of his ways and becomes a better person for this, sometimes it feels like players might resent a program for enforcing rules.

But I want to say, I love that Oregon coaches continually enforce that the type of person you are is more important than the type of football player you are. I know in America that doesn’t seem like the case, considering knuckleheads, very talented and athletic knuckleheads, get paid millions to play a sport, but I truly believe even if it doesn’t end up in you getting paid millions, it’s more important to focus on what kind of person you are than the type of athlete you are. That’s how this University ended up with a Marcus Mariota, a true athlete that displays class on and off the field, and is a true example for kids everywhere. I’m glad my nephew’s favorite athlete is Marcus Mariota, cause by following his example I know he won’t get himself in trouble. Thanks Coach Cristobal for ensuring we Oregon fans get to root for a team with great athletes and great young men!

Phenom
All Pac-12

Post by Phenom »

OregonFan4Life wrote:Hopefully he realizes the error of his ways and becomes a better person for this, sometimes it feels like players might resent a program for enforcing rules.

But I want to say, I love that Oregon coaches continually enforce that the type of person you are is more important than the type of football player you are. I know in America that doesn’t seem like the case, considering knuckleheads, very talented and athletic knuckleheads, get paid millions to play a sport, but I truly believe even if it doesn’t end up in you getting paid millions, it’s more important to focus on what kind of person you are than the type of athlete you are. That’s how this University ended up with a Marcus Mariota, a true athlete that displays class on and off the field, and is a true example for kids everywhere. I’m glad my nephew’s favorite athlete is Marcus Mariota, cause by following his example I know he won’t get himself in trouble. Thanks Coach Cristobal for ensuring we Oregon fans get to root for a team with great athletes and great young men!

What Chip did with Kiko and LGB is more admirable than just about anything else he did.
OregonFan4Life
All-American

Post by OregonFan4Life »

Phenom wrote:
OregonFan4Life wrote:Hopefully he realizes the error of his ways and becomes a better person for this, sometimes it feels like players might resent a program for enforcing rules.

What Chip did with Kiko and LGB is more admirable than just about anything else he did.
Agreed, but they had to work hard to earn their way back on the team and had to show they changed as people before even being considered, but I do agree with you that sometimes coaches abandoned their players way too quickly, I feel strong that way about Helf. Cristobal however I trust him with this decision, so far he doesn’t strike me as someone who will abandon a college athlete like Helf did with say a Prevot, and from what I’ve heard Leiato was given warnings and multiple chances and he didn’t heed them, so it seems to me like Cristobal made the right decision.

lmduck

Post by lmduck »

Leiato had multiple chances to get his act together. MC gave him every opportunity to make amends. He continued to do things that were not right.

I remember something MC said shortly after he got the job, ‘if you have to have a big book of rules, you have the wrong people on your team.’