Hurts to Oregon? Feldman says it's an"option"

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

Merganzer
Senior

Hurts to Oregon? Feldman says it's an"option"

Post by Merganzer »

https://247sports.com/college/oregon/Ar ... 119965704/

College football's new quarterback controversy arose in January when Nick Saban replaced Jalen Hurts at quarterback during the 2018 College Football Playoff Title game with Tua Tagovailoa. The Crimson Tide will have two capable quarterbacks heading into fall camp and Saban hasn't tipped his hand as to which quarterback will get the job.

With many analysts expecting to see Tagovailoa take the starting position in September, rumors around Hurts transferring are beginning to surface. In today's college football landscape, quarterbacks have been transferring at an unprecedented rate, with the players looking for a new home to start.

On today's The Audible podcast with Stewart Mandel and Bruce Feldman, the two were talking about the SEC media days and the topic of Jalen Hurts was brought up. Feldman put out the hypothetical that if Hurts were to transfer, Oregon might be a potential landing spot.

"I really don’t think there was a lot of new out of this… I thought Greg McElroy had a good point of this which I though was the wisest perspective on this and he tweeted it out. If I’m Jalen Hurts and I don’t win the QB job, I’d stay and I’d tell Saban ‘If you need, want me to play and start, I’ll be here. If you don’t need me, please only play me in four games so I can protect my redshirt, that way I can graduate in December and transfer in January and play two years’ and I think that’s a wise perspective because if he tries to transfer now, he’s going to have to sit out 2018 anyway.

"Let’s say he were to transfer, it would give him a little time to see, he graduates in December. If he sees Justin Herbert is leaving Oregon, he knows a lot of guys on that staff at Oregon. He could be a graduate transfer and go up there… He would at least have more time to figure out where is 'my next best move'."

Feldman brings up multiple good points relating to a potential Hurts transfer. Herbert has remaining eligibly for the 2019 season, but is already receiving a large amount of hype for the 2019 NFL draft. And with a rather down quarterback class, it would be surprising to many to see Herbert return for his senior year.

The biggest change that impacts Oregon's quarterback position in 2019 is the new NCAA rule that allows players to appear in up to four games and still preserve their redshirt. Oregon potentially could preserve the redshirts of both Braxton Burmeister and Tyler Shough this season meaning that Burmeister could be a junior or redshirt sophomore and Shough could be a sophomore or redshirt freshman. The Ducks currently have a commitment from 2019 quarterback Cale Millen, who would be a true freshman.

Oregon theoretically could add Hurts, who would have two years of eligibility left in college. The quarterback led Alabama to the college football playoff title game in the 2016 season falling to Clemson in the final. Hurts has started every game in 2016 and 2017 for Alabama with impressive stats. In 2017, Hurts threw for 2081 yards with 17 touchdowns and 1 interception, adding another 855 yards on the ground with 8 rushing touchdowns. In his career, Hurts has only lost two games, the 2017 CFP title to Clemson and the 2017 Iron Bowl to Auburn.

lukeyrid13
All-American
GM: Portland TrailBlazers

Re: Hurts to Oregon? Feldman says it's an"option"

Post by lukeyrid13 »

I would love it personally. He's essentially a bigger version of masoli.

He isn't a perfect QB but he would most likely beat out though or BB next year. Would add experience to our team and would help bridge the gap in a similar fashion as Vernon Adams did
Merganzer
Senior

Post by Merganzer »

lukeyrid13 wrote:I would love it personally. He's essentially a bigger version of masoli.

He isn't a perfect QB but he would most likely beat out though or BB next year. Would add experience to our team and would help bridge the gap in a similar fashion as Vernon Adams did
He's definitely in the Masoli mode when it comes to running; Hurts has a bit more moves, whereas Masoli just ran over defenders, I also think, limited watching of Hurts, that he throws better.
TualatinDuck
Senior

Post by TualatinDuck »

Hurts biggest issue is he can't stretch a secondary. He's too quick to run instead of trusting his receivers to get open.
"And I can be the warrior for those who are frail and weak,
And I can be the compass for those that search and seek." ~Lem Absher
lukeyrid13
All-American
GM: Portland TrailBlazers

Post by lukeyrid13 »

Did we stretch the secondary at all with masoli though? He had a long pass to jamere Holland in the holiday bowl, but that was on a flea flicker.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

I still think if he transfers, it'll be closer to his home in Texas so I could see him at a Big XII school like TCU, Baylor, or Texas.
TualatinDuck
Senior

Post by TualatinDuck »

lukeyrid13 wrote:Did we stretch the secondary at all with masoli though? He had a long pass to jamere Holland in the holiday bowl, but that was on a flea flicker.
Masoli did enough to keep a defense honest. He had a very strong arm but I don't recall him ever having a 300+ yard game. He did average 7.2 yards per attempt while at Oregon.
"And I can be the warrior for those who are frail and weak,
And I can be the compass for those that search and seek." ~Lem Absher
maxduck
Senior

Post by maxduck »

Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't the offense dramatically different now than under Chip? Masoli would not excel as a QB under Cristobal who doesn't want the signal caller carrying the ball that much.