Big Bruiser

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

Greenblood
Senior

Re: Big Bruiser

Post by Greenblood »

Yeah, LMJ is a great example of a terrific college back apparently not cut out for the NFL. And Stewart left after his junior year in 2007, so I assume you mean Stewart as a junior, part of that fabulous ground attack (behind a great OL) along with DD himself before DD got injured.
duckfan22
Senior

Post by duckfan22 »

Greenblood wrote:Yeah, LMJ is a great example of a terrific college back apparently not cut out for the NFL. And Stewart left after his junior year in 2007, so I assume you mean Stewart as a junior, part of that fabulous ground attack (behind a great OL) along with DD himself before DD got injured.
Lmj was my favorite duck until Marcus took over that spot. Lmj could run between the
tackles if needed and had the best vision i have seen at that spot. Then you add track speed
a pretty good combo. Just wish the nfl would have worked out for him.
woundedknees
All-American

Post by woundedknees »

Short yardage solution... hand off to Fat Mac.
Autzen Stadium... Where great teams go to die...Hard!

UofDuck
Senior

Post by UofDuck »

woundedknees wrote:Short yardage solution... hand off to Fat Mac.
That is a solid idea. Dude is crazy athletic for his size. Refrigerator part duex.
FlDuckFan
All Pac-12
GM: Orlando Magic GM

Post by FlDuckFan »

UofDuck wrote:
That is a solid idea. Dude is crazy athletic for his size. Refrigerator part duex.
Maybe next year, He's to valuable to risk an injury while playing on offense.
Alan
Senior

Post by Alan »

UofDuck wrote:
Jelks or Dye out of the backfire on a swing route?
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

UofDuck wrote:
No thank you. Last thing we need is Mac breaking his knee running for a yard. As long as CJ is healthy, he will be our bruiser.
Alan
Senior

Post by Alan »

buckmarkduck wrote:
UofDuck wrote:
No thank you. Last thing we need is Mac breaking his knee running for a yard.
He and anyone else could lose a knee on any play, I don't think coming out of the backfield has any more rish to him then banging heads as the nose on the D line.
duckfan22
Senior

Post by duckfan22 »

Alan wrote:
buckmarkduck wrote:
UofDuck wrote:
No thank you. Last thing we need is Mac breaking his knee running for a yard.
He and anyone else could lose a knee on any play, I don't think coming out of the backfield has any more rish to him then banging heads as the nose on the D line.

I would rather see them bring in extra TE. Gives you not only more blocking or another
pass catcher. More options as i see it..
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

Alan wrote: He and anyone else could lose a knee on any play, I don't think coming out of the backfield has any more rish to him then banging heads as the nose on the D line.
Well when a ball carrier is clearly larger than the player about to tackle them, they almost always go low or at the legs and knees. Which is why original notion of switching a big, tall TE to play RB is not a position switch you really see ever made.

Dante Rosario could sure tote the rock for the Dayton Pirates but he's also on the smaller end of things for a TE and was playing small school ball and he's the only TE I can think of that we've had who actually had a background as a RB. Our OL is the Big Bruiser for this squad.
woundedknees
All-American

Post by woundedknees »

Lyerla toted the rock a few times, but that's a whole different issue.
Autzen Stadium... Where great teams go to die...Hard!

UofDuck
Senior

Post by UofDuck »

Duck07 wrote:
Alan wrote: He and anyone else could lose a knee on any play, I don't think coming out of the backfield has any more rish to him then banging heads as the nose on the D line.
Well when a ball carrier is clearly larger than the player about to tackle them, they almost always go low or at the legs and knees. Which is why original notion of switching a big, tall TE to play RB is not a position switch you really see ever made.

Dante Rosario could sure tote the rock for the Dayton Pirates but he's also on the smaller end of things for a TE and was playing small school ball and he's the only TE I can think of that we've had who actually had a background as a RB. Our OL is the Big Bruiser for this squad.
But Scott is not a tall dude and is built with mass low to the ground. He could be lethal with his quickness on the goal-line. Especially with the size we can start stacking at the guards. If we had a jumbo set like that against Auburn when we couldn’t punch it in from close, we’d be national champs. I’d use it rarely, but I’d for sure use it when appropriate.
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

Guys would specifically try and tackle Scott by the knees. How would you try and take him down? Unless he's not looking on a swing pass I'm going low.

The OL was part of what lost us that game, not a gimmick big back. If DAT made a block we'd also be national champs. If we had an OL against OSU we'd have stood a fighters chance.
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

Guys, if this stuff worked EVERYONE would do it. This is big boy football, and this kind of stuff has just as high probability of a fumble or injury as it does in resulting in a short distance TD.
Everythingsducky
Senior

Post by Everythingsducky »

‘Guys would specifically try and tackle Scott by the knees’...

On the goal line, I think the D is just trying to hold the line. Some go low obviously to cut the line, but a 330lb cannonball in the A gap might be unstoppable. I like it.