Week 3 (SJSU) Grades on Re-Watch

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

GrantDuck
Senior

Post by GrantDuck »

This is going to be a little more negative than usual, but bear with me please. Hopefully I can fill this with A's next week.

Quarterback: c+. Well, he's not superman just yet. Threw high several times in clean pockets. Missed some open guys. Made a couple bad decisions. Messed up some protections too. Still had a few sweet NFL type throws and much of his struggles IMO are still on the Wide Receivers. It's hard to get in a tempo as QB when every 3rd ball gets dropped. It's hard when you have no running game and they're dropping 8 on you.

Running Back: c. Only a handful of broken tackles against a team like SJSU isn't going to cut it. I will say, Verdell really impressed me as a receiver and getting into open space. I think we need more runs to the edge with TBJ. He wrecked Utah with those last year.

Wide Receiver/TE. D+. Johnny Johnson's sweet EZ catch is the only thing keeping this from being an F. He also ran a SWEET route for his first TD that completely busted SJSU's coverage. Breeland missed a block on a DB on a WR screen, both times this game. Also happened last week. Guy really needs to improve as a blocker. Hines had a drop. Redd had a drop and a false start, Mitchell had a drop. SJSU had multiple "coverage sacks". This group was absolutely brutal outside of JJ and needs to step up.

Offensive Line: c. It's hard to grade the OL this week because I think some of it was coaching and some of it was WR's not getting open. That said, probably the worst game I've seen from Jake Hanson since his freshman year. Got beat across his face multiple times. Reminded me of what Wazzu did to our O-line last year and I thought we were past that sort of ineptitude. Anyway, we better figure that out because teams absolutely have a blue print on slanting their D-line on us that we clearly haven't solved yet. Pass pro was mostly good actually, with again, snap count exceptions. You've got to run the ball against a Mtn. West team, period.

Defensive Line: A. It was good stuff. Jelks and Fat mac are real good. cumberlander looks good too. Faoliu hustle was great on multiple plays downfield. Let's keep this up.

Linebackers: A. Also really solid. Slade and Dye are going to need to have big weeks going forward. Hollins was a terror.

Secondary: B. Basically, A for everyone and a F- for Thomas Graham. Ugo continues to be awesome! Holland had his best game. Some big pops AND that sweeeet pick in man coverage. Haven't see a DB for us do that at a young age since mister clifford Harris.

As for Graham, it was even worse on the re-watch...he was beat deep SEVEN times in the game by Mountain West WR's. He was bailed out by a drop and our pressure up front 4 of those times. He made one play and then strutted around like the was Rashad Bauman. He played 1 good game against Nebraska and has been bad ever since. Has to be someone we can play at corner over him.

Special Teams: B-. I like Mr. Snee at punter. Return game was better. Blew one KO coverage and we need a scholarship kicker back.

coaching: c-. Look , the penalties are still better and we won. The defensive coaching as usual I felt was very good, I'd say A-. The offensive coaching was probably a D. SJSU was clearly all over our snap count early and that can't happen at HOME in major college football.That's just bush league. The pistol transition is still very apparent. We aren't there yet. We have to get there by at least mid season or we are not going to score points in conference play consistently. The timing is just really off in the run game blocking and the running backs. I realize this system change takes time, but it's the coaches job to teach them and get the kids executing at the proper level. I do think we lack high end talent at the skill positions on offense(WR/RB), but I do think we can perform at a higher level there if execution and timing get there. Hopeful.

TL;DR Version: Offense really is working out the kinks in the pistol and I hope we can get up to speed there by at LEAST mid-season.
Defense is good but Thomas Graham needs to be benched.
OregonFan4Life
All-American

Re: Week 3 (SJSU) Grades on Re-Watch

Post by OregonFan4Life »

Love these posts, thanks for doing them! Great insight and gives an even better understanding of what Oregon did right and wrong. Really appreciate the time you take to give us this analysis!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Merganzer
Senior

Post by Merganzer »

Credit to you for re-watching that game . The O-line was the most disappointing group for me. With the new BIG personnel & plan it was troubling to see them deliver such a feeble performance. Herbert & the receivers were out of synch the entire game , drops confusion on routes. Defensively, agree completely. Graham had seemed to be grading up the first two games, but yeah, appeared to be confused every play in this one.
SuperDuck
Senior

Post by SuperDuck »

I'm hoping that the Ducks were just looking ahead and disinterested in the game. I'm also hoping that there's more in the playbook that they haven't shown that will finally be on display against Stanford. We really haven't had to show our hand yet because our opponents were so outmatched, but Stanford has played USC and I doubt they have much in the playbook we haven't seen already.

I'd really like it if Bryce Love were to sit out this game. :-)

Wishful thinking.
John 3:36
FlDuckFan
All Pac-12
GM: Orlando Magic GM

Post by FlDuckFan »

Great post! Was hoping to get a rewatch in sometime today myself but plans didn't work out.

I do have one easy question. What is an NFL throw ? I've seen it mentioned all over college football sites and such but there's never a real explanation.
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

FlDuckFan wrote:Great post! Was hoping to get a rewatch in sometime today myself but plans didn't work out.

I do have one easy question. What is an NFL throw ? I've seen it mentioned all over college football sites and such but there's never a real explanation.
Typically its a throw downfield that has a tight window that needs the appropriate touch and strength to end up where the ball and wr meet during his break. If they can't throw the 15 yd Out/Curl route in time to either sideline consistently they usually don't have a shot.
Duck24
Senior

Post by Duck24 »

Generous grade of Herbert IMO. He made some great throws but also missed a handful of absolute gimme passes. WR’s didn’t help him out at all by not making tough grabs on a few but he was very pedestrian yesterday. He’ll make throws that probably give NFL coaches/scouts wood but then will miss a layup the very next play.
Duckenstein
Freshman

Post by Duckenstein »

Didn't think that was negative, simply on point

Kudos
skdragon1
Two Star Recruit

Post by skdragon1 »

Great review. We need more creativity on offense - hopefully it’s because they don’t want to show too much in the “pre season”.

Alan
Senior

Post by Alan »

I also want to add to the group that loves your weekly post and look forward to reading it, thank you for taking the time to review and grade.

I agree with most of it, I may have graded a little, but just a little, bitmharder on the offensive positions. O line I would have given a D to. With their experience they should have done much better, they effect ever other position on the offense. So RB's may have suffered in their grade largely due to the O line. Herbert had other problems as did the WR's
OregonFan4Life
All-American

Post by OregonFan4Life »

Alan wrote:I also want to add to the group that loves your weekly post and look forward to reading it, thank you for taking the time to review and grade.

I agree with most of it, I may have graded a little, but just a little, bitmharder on the offensive positions. O line I would have given a D to. With their experience they should have done much better, they effect ever other position on the offense. So RB's may have suffered in their grade largely due to the O line. Herbert had other problems as did the WR's
I see people hammering on the OLine, and I do understand why, they should be better against a weaker front seven at San Jose St, but I do think the RB’s made them look worse. I saw a lot of plays where the RB’s either completely missed he holes they opened, or they hit it too slowly allowing a LB to cover, or they just flat out ran into a LB and only got a short gain. I definitely am missing Gary Campbell this season cause our RB’s appear to have no vision and when they do see the hole, they don’t do much with it. If LaMichael James was our RB Saturday, the running game would’ve had a lot more success. While I like most of the coaching staff, getting rid of Gary Campbell was maybe Taggart’s biggest mistake, that guy was always an incredible coach for us. Mastro so far doesn’t seem at be at Campbell’s level.

HomeSickDuck
Three Star Recruit

Post by HomeSickDuck »

Does anyone know how the progression of Bryan Addison is coming along? Sure would be nice to have a receiver of his size and caliber making plays.
dphi
Two Star Recruit

Post by dphi »

SuperDuck wrote:I'm hoping that the Ducks were just looking ahead and disinterested in the game. I'm also hoping that there's more in the playbook that they haven't shown that will finally be on display against Stanford. We really haven't had to show our hand yet because our opponents were so outmatched, but Stanford has played USC and I doubt they have much in the playbook we haven't seen already.
Yeah, that's really what you have to hope for. I also think BG is probably a better team than SJSU, and the scores were quite different between those games. I think this was a case of SJSU playing up to their competition and Oregon having an off day. We'll see!
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Post by UOducksTK1 »

Fact is our RBs and WRs haven't really looked good all season. Definitely a point of concern. I also wonder at RB if we should start giving the bulk of the carries to one guy. Let him find his groove.

I don't know if I'd go so far to say Graham only looked good against Nebraska, and never sense. I'd have to go back and watch games, but he's impressed me in other games as well.

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13
StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Post by StevensTechU »

UOducksTK1 wrote:Fact is our RBs and WRs haven't really looked good all season. Definitely a point of concern. I also wonder at RB if we should start giving the bulk of the carries to one guy. Let him find his groove.

I don't know if I'd go so far to say Graham only looked good against Nebraska, and never sense. I'd have to go back and watch games, but he's impressed me in other games as well.

I think we're seeing that happening. TBJ is getting the start as a nod to his seniority, and that he hasn't done anything to 'lose' the spot (without looking it up, I want to say he might have the highest YPC of the guys getting significant reps), but Verdell is getting worked in in a way that indicates to me that coaches expect him to be 'the guy.' He seems to have good vision, breaks tackles, and has the speed to bust the big one.