#7 Washington @ #17 Oregon (Oct. 13, Sat 12:30 PM ABC)

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

dphi
Two Star Recruit

Re: #7 Washington @ #17 Oregon (Oct. 13, Sat 12:30 PM ABC)

Post by dphi »

OregonFan4Life wrote:
dphi wrote:The only thing that could have made this game better is if Verdell pointed on his way into the endzone, that would have been legendary. How do unsportsmanlike penalties get handled on walk-off TDs?
If it was before he was in the end zone then it wouldn’t have counted, so I’m glad he didn’t do that!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yeah, he'd have to do it in the EZ, where I'd assume the refs would just ignore it.
OregonFan4Life
All-American

Post by OregonFan4Life »

WOW! Was at this game, might go down as my favorite regular season game of all time! What a fun game, Autzen was loud, and those arrogant Husky fans talking as if they own the PNW before the game were so sad after the game! It was a little extra sweet sitting right next to the Husky section after that game winning touchdown, but honestly most Husky fans were very kind and courteous after the loss, there were really only about 10 fans that deserved to hear it from duck fans. But to have a game where we all thought it was over then see Oregon be on the right side of a crazy overtime game was awesome! So proud of this team! Couple quick thoughts:

Cristobal is building something special. In a few years I think we will have a more dominant Oregon team than ever before. This team simply imposes their will and breaks opponents on the line of scrimmage. Did anyone ever think we’d see that on an Oregon team?! This team will start to win games 35-3 in the coming years.

I love this OLine, they just play as a single unit, Cristobal has really gelled this OLine together and they play for each other and their team every snap. Sure there are mistakes and missed assignments, but you can tell those are just mistakes, not someone getting too heated or something dumb like that, these guys love what they do and they sure do it well! They love to play for each other and it shows on the field. I think this is just the beginning of how good of an OLine Oregon will have, I expect Oregon’s OLine to get better for years to come and I’m sure that scares PAC-12 DC’s!

Then there’s the other line, the DLine, my gosh these guys also dominate! Jordan Scott, I can’t even think of words to describe him, Monster? Beast? Giant? Amazing? Unbelievable? All of above I guess. He’s inhuman with what he does, he will have a very successful career in the NFL and he will always make us duck fans proud.

Chris Peterson is a poor man’s Urban Meyer. Acts all nice but he’s a dirtbag. He’s always had a dirty team that takes cheap shots and it shows. I hope more people publicly call that out and refs pay more attention to it. Sure he’s a smart coach and all, but I can’t respect someone like that. And to make it worse, he coaches that stupid school up north! I know it was tough with Helf and Willie and he wanted the Oregon job, but I’m glad Mullen’s didn’t hire him cause having the current coaching staff may have made those down years worth it!

Playcalling was good, maybe could have had a few more 1st down passes to mix it up, but Washington has an amazing secondary and it showed many times. The running game did very well. Plus Herbert struggled a bit, but with how well he played, to be able to say that shows how amazing he is.

We have very good RB’s that are on the edge of being great! I’d like to see more of a speedy game to give that 1-2 punch with Verdell, is that supposed to be Dye? It’s interesting we don’t see TBJ but I’ll trust the coaches there. I personally like the quick rotations between speedy and powerful to keep the defense on their heels with the running game. Also I like the occasional long running play and we didn’t really have that yesterday.

My one issue with the team continues to be the secondary and honestly I don’t know how good of a coach Donte Williams is, he’s the one coach I continue to question on this staff. It’s not like Graham and Lenore are bad CB’s, when they focus they do a good job, and yesterday may have been the best our secondary was all year, but I watched them close to see how they get beat bad, and they literally just lose focus and get lost! They keep looking in the backfield hoping for a sack and they forget to guard someone! That’s exactly how they got that long touchdown in the second half and how they converted a 3rd and 10 with an immediate pass to the TE early in the 3rd quarter, because those guys literally just didn’t pay attention to their man. They also leave big cushions and angle themselves to leave the inside open, which is weird cause it’s easier for a QB to throw over the middle rather than the outside so I have no idea what’s going on there. I don’t know if this is just solely on those guys as there were a few times I saw them get benched and yelled at by Cristobal or coaching, but they just don’t seem to stay focused on their man. That’s gotta change next week against the pass happy Cougars.

But what a great game! I love our ducks! Let’s go back to the days of dominating the PNW!

cmmadness
Three Star Recruit

Post by cmmadness »

"This team simply imposes their will and breaks opponents on the line of scrimmage. Did anyone ever think we’d see that on an Oregon team?"

Not after Auburn (2010) and LSU (2011)

To a degree I miss the spread and tempo---but I'll never miss the days of first and goal and can't punch it in against top notch defensive talent.

As the saying goes: "If you can't beat em, join em." Loving the physicality of this team.
Duckenstein
Freshman

Post by Duckenstein »

Lenoir and Graham are just really young and take plays off

They lose focus and f up constantly
chapelhillduck
Senior

Post by chapelhillduck »

Love the mentality that every 4th and 1 is ours

CristoBALLS

Phalanx
Senior

Post by Phalanx »

Duck07 wrote:
Duck24 wrote:Might be a little hungover this morning but the smile on my face gets bigger every time I watch the replay of the walkoff TD. I’d love to hear Jerry Allen’s call of it.
https://247sports.com/college/oregon/Ar ... 123277035/
An even better moment from Jerry was when they missed the field goal.
Greenblood
Senior

Post by Greenblood »

For me, this game was like the inverse of the Stanford game. There was a game we should have won, but found a way to lose. We probably "should have" lost yesterday's game, but won it. Seems like we're taking baby steps in re-establishing the program back to elite status, but I'm ok with it.
lukeyrid13
All-American
GM: Portland TrailBlazers

Post by lukeyrid13 »

Greenblood wrote:For me, this game was like the inverse of the Stanford game. There was a game we should have won, but found a way to lose. We probably "should have" lost yesterday's game, but won it. Seems like we're taking baby steps in re-establishing the program back to elite status, but I'm ok with it.
That's exactly how I feel as well. There were about 10 things that had to go perfectly for Stanford to beat us, in the same sense that we had several things go our way down the stretch to eek out this win.

I think we were better than Stanford for 80% of that game, whereas this game was pretty dang close to 50/50 but probably about 55/45 in favor of UW if I'm being honest. Thankfully, Petersen didn't attempt to sustain their drive with a minute left and just sat on it and obviously their kicker missing a fairly easy kick went in our favor as well.
Duck24
Senior

Post by Duck24 »

Merganzer wrote:Image
This makes me so happy.
woundedknees
All-American

Post by woundedknees »

Did Coach MC really have to chase Petersen into the tunnel for a handshake?

If so, there may be cracks in "classy coach Pee's" public persona...
Autzen Stadium... Where great teams go to die...Hard!

Duckenstein
Freshman

Post by Duckenstein »

What??
woundedknees wrote:Did Coach MC really have to chase Petersen into the tunnel for a handshake?

Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

woundedknees wrote:Did Coach MC really have to chase Petersen into the tunnel for a handshake?

Yes he did but fans also rushed the field in that moment so its not like they were going to walk across the stadium. I'm not sure if Bellotti for example was able to shake Bob Stoops hand after Blair Phillips blocked their mental sanity.
DmoneyDuck
Freshman

Post by DmoneyDuck »

Greenblood wrote:For me, this game was like the inverse of the Stanford game. There was a game we should have won, but found a way to lose. We probably "should have" lost yesterday's game, but won it. Seems like we're taking baby steps in re-establishing the program back to elite status, but I'm ok with it.
I know most will only remember UW's kicker missing the GW FG but let's not forget our kicker missed a chip shot in the second half as well.
JIDuck97
Four Star Recruit

Post by JIDuck97 »

DmoneyDuck wrote:
I know most will only remember UW's kicker missing the GW FG but let's not forget our kicker missed a chip shot in the second half as well.
Having watched the replay of the missed fg several times it sure looks like our # 93 had his hand exactly where safe kick should have gone. Though I cant say for sure it looked like if not missed it would have been blocked.
woundedknees
All-American

Post by woundedknees »

JIDuck97 wrote:
DmoneyDuck wrote:
Having watched the replay of the missed fg several times it sure looks like our # 93 had his hand exactly where safe kick should have gone. Though I cant say for sure it looked like if not missed it would have been blocked.
I was thinking the same thing...
Autzen Stadium... Where great teams go to die...Hard!