Chris Miller on BFT yesterday

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Re: Chris Miller on BFT yesterday

Post by StevensTechU »

Duck24 wrote:
nogerO wrote:
Duck24 wrote:Easy to say now when you’re not staring down a $25M+ guaranteed contract. As much as I want him to come back next season, he’d be dumb to not make the jump. Too much risk involved with coming back and nothing really to gain.
I would respectfully say your statement is dumb. I think JH is a lot of things, but dumb isn't one of them. Not everyone is ruled by the almighty dollar. Just sayin... :roll:
If you think saying someone staring $30M in the face would be dumb for risking it to come back for nostalgic reasons is dumb...I don’t know what to tell you.

Would you advise anyone you knew to turn that much money down?
I'd tell them to get an insurance policy.
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

The collective bargaining agreement is up soon, so the $30 mill could jump up significantly if they get rid of the rookie contract and go back to what they had. Either way JH could be gambling away a bunch of money.
Duckenstein
Freshman

Post by Duckenstein »

He should definitely go if he's healthy and finishes on a high note

I do think it's more important for RBs to enter early than QBs. They only have so many miles

QBs can play until age 40
Tray Dub
All Pac-12

Post by Tray Dub »

These conversations are always annoying to me. It's a personal decision. People value things vastly differently. It's fine to say what you'd do in that situation, but it's dumb to think you know the right answer for him.
brich75
Senior

Post by brich75 »

Tray Dub wrote:These conversations are always annoying to me. It's a personal decision. People value things vastly differently. It's fine to say what you'd do in that situation, but it's dumb to think you know the right answer for him.
Exactly
lmduck

Post by lmduck »

Tray Dub wrote:These conversations are always annoying to me. It's a personal decision. People value things vastly differently. It's fine to say what you'd do in that situation, but it's dumb to think you know the right answer for him.
thank you. A refreshing honest post.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
AshlandDuck
Three Star Recruit

Post by AshlandDuck »

Spot on.
nogerO
Senior

Post by nogerO »

Duck24 wrote:
nogerO wrote:
Duck24 wrote:Easy to say now when you’re not staring down a $25M+ guaranteed contract. As much as I want him to come back next season, he’d be dumb to not make the jump. Too much risk involved with coming back and nothing really to gain.
I would respectfully say your statement is dumb. I think JH is a lot of things, but dumb isn't one of them. Not everyone is ruled by the almighty dollar. Just sayin... :roll:
If you think saying someone staring $30M in the face would be dumb for risking it to come back for nostalgic reasons is dumb...I don’t know what to tell you.

Would you advise anyone you knew to turn that much money down?
IF they asked, I'd tell them to follow their heart. If it's true he has several reasons he wants to stay, then that's what he should do...Believe it or not, money isn't some people's God. The money will always be there for a big strong, accurate armed highly intelligent player like JH. There's always the insurance policy thing as well. Go Ducks!
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice the gift." - Steve Prefontaine
UofDuck
Senior

Post by UofDuck »

I wonder what a Heisman award translates to in dollars over a lifetime? That is big recognition and lifetime commercials...marketing, etc. He'd be a god in his home town. Or, to a lesser extent, the dollars associated with a QB winning a national championship, especially living in the town he won the Heisman, or a championship in?

The little I know of Justin and his family makes me think that those two possibilities would be huge for the family in Eugene.

And....what Tray said is TRUTH! Preach!
duck58
Four Star Recruit

Post by duck58 »

It was said he was considering a career in medicine. My niece is a doctor. I'm sure many of you have relatives or friends who are. They usually don't have to worry about their next meal. If that's his dream, live it. If he returns we are definitely NC contenders. I would like that. But, 25-30m. I've never had to make that kind of decision. .so, you are exactly correct.

Not that it means anything here, but my grandson plays for Chis Miller at West Linn HS. I've shaken his hand and talked with him maybe twice after games. He's very fan friendly. My grandson's family has talked with him a lot more. Not sure that makes us friends.
Phalanx
Senior

Post by Phalanx »

Was Miller the QB for the Toilet Bowl, or was that Jorgy?
Alan
Senior

Post by Alan »

Phalanx wrote:Was Miller the QB for the Toilet Bowl, or was that Jorgy?
You made me curious so I googled it, from Wikipedia:

"Rich Brooks was in his seventh season as Ducks head coach. Brooks, who had played at Oregon State and been an assistant coach there, had never lost a Civil War game as a player or coach for either team; despite some down seasons with the Ducks, his seven straight Civil War victories had made him a popular coach.[9] The Ducks were experiencing a mediocre season, but nonetheless came into the game as 13​1⁄2 point favorites over the hapless Beavers.[3][4] Like the Beavers, the Ducks were down to their third-string quarterback: Chris Miller, an untested freshman. Mike Jorgensen, who had started the season at quarterback, was out with a broken leg and backup Mike Owens had been ineffective in relief"
QuackininBama
All Pac-12

Post by QuackininBama »

I hope he bolts, to much to lose. Anyone remember Ifo?
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

QuackininBama wrote:I hope he bolts, to much to lose. Anyone remember Ifo?
Anyone remember when Joey came back as a Sr and got hurt? Me neither. We've had 1 guy in the last 20 years who was a serious NFL prospect get hurt, and everyone uses him as an example. Like Michael Clark Duncan once said, "dont you put that evil on me." Besides who wants to see Herbert get all screwed up playing for Gruden. The guy is a QB killer.

BTW Jason La Confora says that he's hearing Herbert is coming back. Here's and article from CBS saying the same.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/oreg ... -candidate
FlDuckFan
All Pac-12
GM: Orlando Magic GM

Post by FlDuckFan »

buckmarkduck wrote:
QuackininBama wrote:I hope he bolts, to much to lose. Anyone remember Ifo?
Anyone remember when Joey came back as a Sr and got hurt? Me neither. We've had 1 guy in the last 20 years who was a serious NFL prospect get hurt, and everyone uses him as an example. Like Michael Clark Duncan once said, "dont you put that evil on me." Besides who wants to see Herbert get all screwed up playing for Gruden. The guy is a QB killer.

BTW Jason La Confora says that he's hearing Herbert is coming back. Here's and article from CBS saying the same.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/oreg ... -candidate

Love that quote.