Chris Miller on BFT yesterday

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

brich75
Senior

Chris Miller on BFT yesterday

Post by brich75 »

Anyone else hear Miller say in that interview yesterday that he believes Herbert is coming back next year. Said something along the line that he is friends with the family. He gets the impression Justin absolutely loves college and Oregon. Wants to play with his brother and wants more experience.
TualatinDuck
Senior

Re: Chris Miller on BFT yesterday

Post by TualatinDuck »

Justins dad and Miller played together at Sheldon. Ive heard some say Justin wants a shot the NC and some say he wants to play with Patrick again.
"And I can be the warrior for those who are frail and weak,
And I can be the compass for those that search and seek." ~Lem Absher
Alan
Senior

Post by Alan »

brich75 wrote:Anyone else hear Miller say in that interview yesterday that he believes Herbert is coming back next year. Said something along the line that he is friends with the family. He gets the impression Justin absolutely loves college and Oregon. Wants to play with his brother and wants more experience.
Yes, I heard that too, you are correct, Miller said he thinks from what Justin's mom said he will be back next season, Chris Miller sat with Justin's mom at one of the games. Chris is friends with the Herbert's and played High school ball with Justin's farther. As you stated he loves college, wants a season with his brother plus Chris said he only had five starts last year and so far five this year he thinks Justin wants another year of experience before he makes the Sunday jump. How big can he insurance policy be? Lol. I hope he comes back but as of now he is an instant millionaire.
Duck24
Senior

Post by Duck24 »

Easy to say now when you’re not staring down a $25M+ guaranteed contract. As much as I want him to come back next season, he’d be dumb to not make the jump. Too much risk involved with coming back and nothing really to gain.
brich75
Senior

Post by brich75 »

I have heard that he also is more interested in biology science then football. He is something ridiculous like a 4.2 gpa. It is possible he doesn’t hold football NFL in the same regard as us. Of course I would go to the nfl if I was him but I’m not. If he comes back I won’t be mad lol.
maxduck
Senior

Post by maxduck »

I've read he is considering a career in medicine. With all the CTE and other injury discussion perhaps the NFL doesn't look as attractive as being able to both think and walk at age 55.
nogerO
Senior

Post by nogerO »

Duck24 wrote:Easy to say now when you’re not staring down a $25M+ guaranteed contract. As much as I want him to come back next season, he’d be dumb to not make the jump. Too much risk involved with coming back and nothing really to gain.
I would respectfully say your statement is dumb. I think JH is a lot of things, but dumb isn't one of them. Not everyone is ruled by the almighty dollar. Just sayin... :roll:
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice the gift." - Steve Prefontaine
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

brich75 wrote:Anyone else hear Miller say in that interview yesterday that he believes Herbert is coming back next year. Said something along the line that he is friends with the family. He gets the impression Justin absolutely loves college and Oregon. Wants to play with his brother and wants more experience.
Well this past week OF4L expounded on that to say while all of that is true, all of the NFL attention he is getting is making him consider it. - 1st Round money talks and if he's healthy, he's gone.

Also in that interview Chris Miller thinks its quite alright for young children to play football. Bennett Omalu doesn't believe anyone under 18 should.
StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Post by StevensTechU »

The NFL is ruthlessly competitive (ask Joey) and if you don't enter entirely prepared, you're going to sink. If he wants to sharpen his skills through another year at the lower level, I honestly don't think it's a bad idea, particularly when he can seek out an insurance policy that the SCHOOL will pay for in the event he doesn't slides due to injury, which didn't use to be available.

Coming back for another year hurt Matt Barkley because it gave NFL teams enough data to find out he was mediocre. I don't think we'll wake up to discover Herbert is actually just mediocre, and with his work ethic (I'm basing his work ethic off his GPA and his #gainz in the weight room), I have a hard time seeing regression.

Go early: Get paid sooner. Potentially 1 year more of NFL paychecks. Limit risk of injury. Come back to complete degree sometime down the road.
Stay: Enter the NFL more prepared and potentially have a longer career/more paychecks. Insure yourself for free against injury. Finish degree and make memories.

One just doesn't sound super clear cut over the other, so I disagree with the "dumb" statement.
OregonFan4Life
All-American

Post by OregonFan4Life »

Interesting, that’d be great! Though I have heard different.

My coworker happens to be friends with Herbert’s mom, she and her husband saw Mr and Mrs Herbert and they did briefly talk about Justin. Before the season my coworker was saying Justin was going to stay for his Sr year to fulfill the dream of playing with his bro at the UofO, however he nor his family expected him to be talked about as the top QB in the NFL draft. From what my coworker said, this talk of being a high draft pick has caught the attention of Justin and his family, and he remembers what happen to Matt Barkley and Ifo. Basically, I was told last week unless his draft prospect changes, he’s most likely gone, cause it’s not worth risking the NFL career to him to get his degree and play with Patrick. And I can’t speak to his academic aspirations, however I can’t imagine his dreams of getting a degree are as big of his dreams of a great NFL career.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

The new NFL caters to the QB. Most of these excelling right now are doing so because of the shift in the game and rules. Matt Barkely would have gotten exposed the same moment he did, at his Pro Day because he has a weak arm. He never would have been able to pull a Jake Locker type workout.

We also saw how the Insurance Policy worked for Ifo, or shall we say didn't work because of how bad his injury ended up being.

Finally, my understanding is the CBA as it is will only last through this upcoming draft and not the next. Who wants to place a bet on a work stoppage from the players or a lockout from the owners? I think the only thing that is for certain with the next deal is that its going be nasty and unpredictable.

If he's healthy, he's gone and I wish him all the best. (full discretion - last time we did this with Marcus I argued Phil should have just cut him a fat signing bonus with Nike the following year to stay one more year, lol)
brich75
Senior

Post by brich75 »

I’m on the side of always take the money if you are top 5. I also realize life isn’t as black and white as people like to pretend. I think he goes but wouldn’t be shocked if he comes back. I’m sure we will all pull for him whatever he decides.
GoDucksTroll
Sophomore

Post by GoDucksTroll »

Baker Mayfield got almost $33 million guaranteed. $22 million of that was the signing bonus. As the third pick Sam Darnold got $30 million with a $20 million signing bonus.

Very few people turn down that kind of money. Matt Barkley is still probably kicking himself. If Herbert is projected as a top-10 pick he should do it. I'm assuming he's getting pretty close to his BS. It would obviously be great to have him back, but c'mon. He would get to have a job that only 30 people in the world have at any given time,and get paid $30 million to do it.
lmduck

Post by lmduck »

The Herbert family sure has a lot of ‘friends’ that they are talking to.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Duck24
Senior

Post by Duck24 »

nogerO wrote:
Duck24 wrote:Easy to say now when you’re not staring down a $25M+ guaranteed contract. As much as I want him to come back next season, he’d be dumb to not make the jump. Too much risk involved with coming back and nothing really to gain.
I would respectfully say your statement is dumb. I think JH is a lot of things, but dumb isn't one of them. Not everyone is ruled by the almighty dollar. Just sayin... :roll:
If you think saying someone staring $30M in the face would be dumb for risking it to come back for nostalgic reasons is dumb...I don’t know what to tell you.

Would you advise anyone you knew to turn that much money down?